Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Popup Legit ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

just want to make sure this update/popup is legit before i proceed?

my computer is basically forcing this update upon me now, i have been ignoring it,

if it is legit, whats it for?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Yes, it's legitimate.   This dialog appears as part of the upgrade process to Version 1703 of Windows 10.  It's a staging step, though, so you may not launch directly into the update itself.

There are several Privacy options that this setup may tweak and this makes sure you review those and can set them as you see fit and those choices will be applied when the update is complete.  I still strongly suggest that anyone who's had a version update install take the 10 minutes or so afterward to cruise through all the Privacy Settings to ensure they're set as you'd prefer.

You really need to step through this and then let the Version 1703 (Creators) Update apply.

Edited by britechguy, 22 July 2017 - 08:46 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

After the Privacy options are set the upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Version (Creators Edition) will start and this could take several hours depending on the machine, amount of data, etc. ...

Just to let Mikey11 know just in case he got caught in the middle of some work!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:31 AM

After the Privacy options are set the upgrade to the latest Windows 10 Version (Creators Edition) will start and this could take several hours depending on the machine, amount of data, etc. ...

Or he can just do a clean install and be done with it in 15 minutes.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,701 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Or he can just do a clean install and be done with it in 15 minutes.

Not if he doesn't want to have to deal with backing up all his user data files and creating a program archive for reinstallation.  (And it's not quite that fast.)

But, one can, if one so chooses, do a version upgrade using the ISO file burned to bootable media.  That is the one and only time that the "Keep my files and apps" will appear as an option when doing so.  Directions are here.

I keep hoping that Microsoft is eventually going to make that option available for any full reinstall using the bootable installation media, not just the version updates.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,701 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

BTW, the topic of this dialog just came up on one of the blindness-related technology groups that I participate in, so apparently the next cohort of computers to be upgraded to Version 1703 is now in the process full-swing.

As one person noted, "I didn't do anything as far as responding to that dialog and got updated anyway."

This dialog was in response to legitimate complaints that several previous updates reset existing Privacy Settings that a user may have set themselves back to something they didn't want.  Your responses to the dialog specify what will be applied at the end of the update.

If you refuse to answer long enough, the update will occur and you will accept the defaults that Microsoft has chosen for those Privacy Settings.

I always strongly encourage a quick review of all the Privacy Settings immediately after any major update to Windows 10 where the Version is changed.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:47 AM

BTW, the topic of this dialog just came up on one of the blindness-related technology groups that I participate in, so apparently the next cohort of computers to be upgraded to Version 1703 is now in the process full-swing.

As one person noted, "I didn't do anything as far as responding to that dialog and got updated anyway."

According to this article http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-microsoft-will-now-prompt-you-to-install-the-creators-update/ Microsoft is changing the way that dialog works and now users can only postpone the dialog 5 times before Windows decide to upgrade!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

If they only made it so that your customized privacy options and other such settings remained the same after the update, Microsoft would be golden.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 July 2017 - 11:51 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,701 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

According to this article http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-microsoft-will-now-prompt-you-to-install-the-creators-update/ Microsoft is changing the way that dialog works and now users can only postpone the dialog 5 times before Windows decide to upgrade!

Hence my prior comment, "If you refuse to answer long enough, the update will occur and you will accept the defaults that Microsoft has chosen for those Privacy Settings."

Keeping your machine on the current Windows 10 Version is part and parcel of using Windows 10.   That's been no secret since the beginning and it now looks like the schedule of two version updates per year on a regular basis is about to begin.

P.S. to JOQ:  I don't care what they do so far as settings go to achieve an update so long as one of two things happen:

1.  They're changed back to what I had them set to at the conclusion of the update.  (I realize something that I turned off or turned on might need to be switched the opposite way as part of getting an update installed.  Just change it back to whatever it was at the conclusion).

2.  I am presented with a dialog that gives the exact settings that will be either reset as part of the update or are new, and allows me to choose what I want them to be at the point the update has completed.

Option number two is what was used in the update from Version 1607 to 1703.  You'd have to use option number two if any new settings are involved.

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

thanks, i guess i will just go ahead with it,

this computer originally had 8 on it and was updated to 10 with the free offer

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Considering that, you might want to consider a clean install.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,701 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

Why?   Until or unless you encounter an issue with a Windows Update triggered upgrade, why on earth would you do the work necessary to bring a machine back to your customized state from a clean install?

I've never clean installed on any of my machines because the Windows Update triggered upgrades have gone without incident.   Doing a pre-emptive clean install is a solution in search of a problem.

All three are upgrades to Windows 10, one from Windows 7 and the other two from Windows 8.1.

Edited by britechguy, 23 July 2017 - 01:03 PM.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Why?   Until or unless you encounter an issue with a Windows Update triggered upgrade, why on earth would you do the work necessary to bring a machine back to your customized state from a clean install?

I've never clean installed on any of my machines because the Windows Update triggered upgrades have gone without incident.   Doing a pre-emptive clean install is a solution in search of a problem.

All three are upgrades to Windows 10, one from Windows 7 and the other two from Windows 8.1.

I do it regularly just to keep my registry clean and my system optimal. I think it is a lot of fun.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

i appreciate your time and replies, but i dont see any reason why a clean install would be nessessary, the computer is running perfectly fine

Edited by mikey11, 23 July 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,701 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

[In regard to doing clean installs of Windows 10]:

I do it regularly just to keep my registry clean and my system optimal. I think it is a lot of fun.

This is clearly one of those things that falls into the category of chacun à son goût.

It's not the reinstallation of Windows 10, per se, that wears me out but the reinstalling of all of the programs I use and the customization of myriad settings.  It wears me out.

So long as I'm not having any system performance issues I never, ever consider reinstalling an OS, and Windows in particular.  This machine "went 10" the week it was released and has stayed on the normal update progression without any issues (other than a couple of the resetting of settings by MS during updates, which they seem to have learned not to do unless they tell you which ones so you know what to look at later or give you the option of picking what you want things set to when an update completes).   I'd rather gnaw off my arm at the elbow than reinstall Windows just for the fun of it, and that's even with Windows 10, which is much easier to reinstall than any prior version of Windows, by far.

Edited by britechguy, 23 July 2017 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users