Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete Guest User on MB

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Noticed this earlier. There's a Guest User listed on my Users page in SP. It is marked as 'off' (as is sharing). I can't delete this, or the other previous User i had used previously, as the Minus is greyed out, even after i have unlocked the PadLock

Is this normal?

Also, when i look in Files there's a guest and shared folder, which i'm pretty sure i've never noticed before. Both are empty and has a red minus in the bottom corner. When i click on them they are empty but says 'last modified 14/7/17. I've never knowingly set these up. Even though they are empty it seems a bit odd. 

Any ideas on what this means? 

Edited by JimmyRiddle, 22 July 2017 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

Noticed this earlier. There's a Guest User listed on my Users page in SP. It is marked as 'off' (as is sharing). I can't delete this, or the other previous User i had used previously, as the Minus is greyed out, even after i have unlocked the PadLock

Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal.

#3 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

Thanks. What about the latter point. The folders which i've never accessed and the 'last modified' date?

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

Thanks. What about the latter point. The folders which i've never accessed and the 'last modified' date?

Where are you seeing them? I don't have them on either of my Macs. My Mac mini has the Guest User disabled and my Macbook Pro has the Guest User enabled.

#5 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

When i click the OpenFile section, then look under Documents, but then click on the blue Folder icon at the top marked Documents, it brings up the others. Is this normal?

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

IDK, I still don't see them on either of my Macs. Which OS X is installed on your Mac?
Usually when logging out of a Guest User account all the files are deleted, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

#7 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:35 AM

Hi, I have Seirra 10.12.6 - no one can log in as a GU, at least they shouldn't be, as it's not been activated on the Users page, that's why it makes me wonder why the files are there, empty though they are.

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

Can you tell us the exact path on disk of the folders? I can't follow what you are describing. In finder you can click on one to select it and use command i to "get info". The parent folder can be identified from the "Where" field in the presented information (alternatively, in finder, "View"/"Show Path Bar" will enable a breadcrumb trail of folders at the bottom of the finder window).

Folders "Guest" and "Shared" are normally located under the /Users path on disk. The red "no entry" signs indicate the the the currently logged in user does not have rights to access the indicated folder. Normally you would have access to the Guest folder itself and no access to most of its subfolders. You would normally have read only access to the library folder and its subfolders (although Finder does not indicate this with a icon overly (such as the "no entry sign").

I can't account for the recent date that you attribute to those folders. In "Get-Info" what are the Created and Modified dates or those folders?

Reiterating what the other helpers have said, The Guest account is normal, and as it is a builtin account with a special function it is not deletable. I do recommend that you keep it disabled (as an aside, I think mine got enabled once when I enabled "Find my Mac" - no idea why, I just disabled it again).

x64

#9 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

I am going to the top of the screen, directly adjacent to the Safari, then on the heading to the right, marked File. Clicking file, leading to Open File. Then on the Users (the blue folder index in the top) i click and pull up the list. I've never enabled, or accessed the Guest file, it's always been marked 'disabled', yet it says Date Modified May 14th next to it's icon. Any thoughts on why? Never enabled Find My Mac either. 

The Guest is listed in my Users sub section, but marked Disabled. 

Edited by JimmyRiddle, 25 July 2017 - 03:25 AM.

#10 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

MAY 14th? That sounds familiar.... The original post seemed to say July. I think mine said May as well ( but I associated that with the commissioning of my MBP. I'll recheck when I get home tonight.

x64

#11 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

I am going to the top of the screen, directly adjacent to the Safari, then on the heading to the right, marked File. Clicking file, leading to Open File. Then on the Users (the blue folder index in the top) i click and pull up the list. I've never enabled, or accessed the Guest file, it's always been marked 'disabled', yet it says Date Modified May 14th next to it's icon. Any thoughts on why? Never enabled Find My Mac either. 

The Guest is listed in my Users sub section, but marked Disabled. 

I followed your instructions and didn't see Guest in the drop down menu on my Mac mini. I then enabled Guest User in System Preferences and Guest is now showing with todays date listed as "modified". I then disabled the Guest User in System Preferences but the Guest User is still listed with the "modified" date showing now as July 8. Odd.

Right clicking on the Guest folder > Move to Trash > entering your admin name and password then emptying Trash will delete the folder and it's contents.

Edited by Buddyme2, 25 July 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#12 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

MAY 14th? That sounds familiar.... The original post seemed to say July. I think mine said May as well ( but I associated that with the commissioning of my MBP. I'll recheck when I get home tonight.

x64

Sorry, yes it is MAY 14th. All the files list the same time on that day too. 

#13 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

x64

Sorry, yes it is MAY 14th. All the files list the same time on that day too. 

What i don't understand is it has a Dropbox Folder when i click Public Folder under the Guest sub section. There's no drop box installed on this machine, least not that i'm aware of. I've never used it and have no call for it. Is it included as standard on Sierra or updates or something? 

Sorry, it does seem there's a drop box folder under my main Log In. It is empty, and like i say, i've never knowingly used or downloaded it. Does that seem strange? 

Edited by JimmyRiddle, 25 July 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#14 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

That folder is not Dropbox as in Dropbox (the file sharing software) , it's just a Dropbox as in Drop Box, (a place to drop files to be received by that user).

Apologies if your brain just exploded trying to read that, but it's accurate.  You could think about is Like a letterbox in a door.

Lets explain how that works.. To do so let's have a look at my system (in the transcript below I've replaced x64's super-secret real name with 'x64' - no electrons were harmed in that exercise!, I've also added a splash of colour - red is my typing, and blue the shell's prompt and some labels I've added to highlight  some lines of interest) 

MBP:~ x64$ ls -l /users

total 0
drwxr-xr-x+ 12 Guest  _guest  408  5 May 10:03 Guest (*** line 1 ***)
drwxrwxrwt   7 root   wheel   238  8 May 20:57 Shared
drwxr-xr-x+ 21 x64    staff   714 25 Jul 19:06 x64 
MBP:~ x64$ ls -l /users/Guest/
total 0
drwx------+  3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Desktop. (*** Start of lines 2 ***)
drwx------+  3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Documents
drwx------+  3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Downloads
drwx------+ 26 Guest  _guest  884  5 May 10:03 Library
drwx------+  3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Movies
drwx------+  3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Music
drwx------+  3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Pictures (*** end of lines 2 ***)
drwxr-xr-x+  4 Guest  _guest  136  5 May 10:03 Public (*** line 3 ***)
MBP:~ x64$ ls -l /users/Guest/Public/
total 0
drwx-wx-wx+ 3 Guest  _guest  102  5 May 10:03 Drop Box (*** Line 4 ***)
MBP:~ x64$

So what does that tell us.... firstly consider 'line 1' - the permissions for the Guest folder itself start with 'rwx'... Guest has full access to its own home folder.. Seems fair to me... Then ...'r-xr-x'... other users in the same group as Guest and everyone else in general has read address (huh? - doesn't seem very private for poor old guest, does it... but hang on....)

Consider 'lines 2' - the folders within /users/Guest. Again the permissions start with 'rwx' so guest has full access to it's stuff, but then the permissions continue '------' no other group or other users have any access to those folders (more like what we's expect of user segregation).

Then there is 'line 3'. A public folder alongside the private folders of the Guest user - others still have Read access to that - OK - Amongst other uses, Guest could put stuff there to be shared with other users.

And finally 'line 4' The drop box folder... Again Guest has 'rwx' access - everything, other members of guest's group and other users in general have '-wx' access - effectively write access (specifically without read access... ). So Otheruser1 could write a file there and Otheruser2 could do the same, but Otheruser1 could not see the file that Otheruser2 dropped in that folder (and vice versa). Guest however could see both files. OK - that's the privacy thing accounted for - '~/Public' and '~/Public/Drop Box' is a file exchange mechanism....

Re the dates - I received my MacBook on 5th May which explains that date for my folders. any other similar notable reason for 14th may being significant on your Mac?

I'd not go around deleting these folders. I can't see them doing any harm (as long as the Guest account is disabled, and their non presence might cause other issues for software or updates that expect to need/touch them)

I've used Guest as the example, but the same mechanism exists for sharing files between any two users.

x64

Edited by x64, 25 July 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#15 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:27 AM

Thanks x64

I created a new user (not guest tho) on my MBP around that time, although think it was a day or two earlier around the 11th. Maybe in doing so that led to it coming on. I don't think there's anything untoward about it, all the 'last modified' dates are exactly the same 14.5.17 1003am, so it doesn't look like it's been accessed by a person, if that were the case then i'd imagine different sub files would have different access times, even by a few minutes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users