Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.2

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

Greetings to all,

I am one of those who has and is tinkering with Linux (not wanting to migrate Win X and because of MS' devious practices past and present and in general their business ethics towards the end user). That was a mouthful!  :lol:

Currently using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafael Cinnamon 64 bit on a DVD.( Haven't gotten the courage to go to dual booting but working on it. Have many tutorials and "how to's and advice . I am still a NOOB to Linux but am an avid follower to this forum. I am very comfortable with my current distro as it is much like Windows. I know that I should update and get a more current version.

What do you guys think??

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

Mint 17.2 is supported till 2019, so IMO there's no immediate need to update to a newer version.

Personally I like to give a "new" version time to "bed in" before I adopt it, since even with extensive beta testing, pretty much all of them have "bugs" when they're first released into full public use, and it usually takes a while for the majority of them to be resolved.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

Gary makes some great points, if you have Mint installed or are booting the ISO with persistence.

If however you are using just the DVD (i.e. booting the ISO with no persistence), and have a relatively modern computer, then upgrading to the latest version would be a good idea in my opinion.

I don't consider booting the Mint 17.2 ISO to be "insecure," but later versions of Mint have more up-to-date software in comparison.

Edited by Al1000, 22 July 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Greetings to all,

I am one of those who has and is tinkering with Linux (not wanting to migrate Win X and because of MS' devious practices past and present and in general their business ethics towards the end user). That was a mouthful!  :lol:

Currently using Linux Mint 17.2 Rafael Cinnamon 64 bit on a DVD.( Haven't gotten the courage to go to dual booting but working on it. Have many tutorials and "how to's and advice . I am still a NOOB to Linux but am an avid follower to this forum. I am very comfortable with my current distro as it is much like Windows. I know that I should update and get a more current version.

What do you guys think??

TIA

I don't understand this part, "you do not want to migrate away from Windows because of Microsoft's devious practices." If you feel that Microsoft is devious, how come you don't want to migrate.

Was this a joke or just a philosophical statement about how you view reality?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

Mint 17.2 is supported till 2019, so IMO there's no immediate need to update to a newer version.

Personally I like to give a "new" version time to "bed in" before I adopt it, since even with extensive beta testing, pretty much all of them have "bugs" when they're first released into full public use, and it usually takes a while for the majority of them to be resolved.

Thanks Gary, exactly the response I was hoping to hear.

Gary makes some great points, if you have Mint installed or are booting the ISO with persistence.

If however you are using just the DVD (i.e. booting the ISO with no persistence), and have a relatively modern computer, then upgrading to the latest version would be a good idea in my opinion.

I don't consider booting the Mint 17.2 ISO to be "insecure," but later versions of Mint have more up-to-date software in comparison.

Well, my computer is 8 yrs old and is running fine. Did have to replace the HDD a while back, though.

Greetings to all,

What do you guys think??

TIA

I don't understand this part, "you do not want to migrate away from Windows because of Microsoft's devious practices." If you feel that Microsoft is devious, how come you don't want to migrate.

My bad !! Worded very poorly !! To state clearly what I meant, I should have said that I am using Linux more and more as I will not be upgrading to Win X after the support for Win 7 expires. I wish not to support a company that is devious and has questionable ethics by purchasing their product(s).

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thanks Gary, exactly the response I was hoping to hear.

Well, my computer is 8 yrs old and is running fine. Did have to replace the HDD a while back, though.

Greetings to all,

What do you guys think??

TIA

My bad !! Worded very poorly !! To state clearly what I meant, I should have said that I am using Linux more and more as I will not be upgrading to Win X after the support for Win 7 expires. I wish not to support a company that is devious and has questionable ethics by purchasing their product(s).

Ahh, I see. You meant the opposite of what you said. Now I understand.

Microsoft has certainly gone downhill as far as their ethics and business practices. This is actually something that everybody must be concerned about.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

If you just want to take baby steps, you could download 17.3 which is the last of the Series and is the most refined.  It would also be good for an older computer IMO.  If I were you, I might also Create a Linux Live USB this time instead, it is much faster than the DVD.

sikntired, You could also do this with the most "Current Version" if you like, I'm still a fan of 17.3, no need for me to move on yet for me.  Forget the DVD's they are very slow!!!  There are many programs to do this with but the one I use is UUI.  I have nice Boot Times with this one, very snappy, but don't use Persistence IMO, it will slow it down.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

@pcpunk,

Yeah, I know DVD's are slow.............old habits.......hard to break but I need to do so. Thanks for your thoughts and input about UUI and the link. Will certainly take this into consideration. As GaryR stated : "Mint 17.2 is supported till 2019" and I feel more comfortable with it as time progresses. However, that is not to say that I am close-minded to other options.

#9 Guest_philbo_*

Guest_philbo_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

I recommend the latest version 18.2. I installed it recently in a dual-boot with Windows 10 and it was flawless.

I've distro-hopped a bit since then, but I could easily see myself going back to it.

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

You guys kill me about old computers and new Linux distros don't work well and better off using an older supported distro.

I disagree Linux Mint 18 Sarah Xfce is rock solid stable.

I have also read that it is wise to only run 5 year LTS Linux Distros for 3years and then to update or upgrade to a newer release.

I'm running Linux Mint 18 Sarah Xfce on an 11 year old desktop without problems.

My proof.

hp-pavilion-d4650y ~ $ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: hp-pavilion-d4650y Kernel: 4.4.0-83-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: HP Pavilion 061 product: RF170AV-ABA d4650y 
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: Basswood v: 1.05 Bios: Phoenix v: 3.08 date: 09/18/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 6400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8533
           clock speeds: max: 2133 MHz 1: 1600 MHz 2: 2133 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x720@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV46 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-83-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82562V 10/100 Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: ff00 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1a:92:0d:01:00
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (26.7% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD400BD size: 40.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 34G used: 7.1G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.22GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 52.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 181 Uptime: 21:28 Memory: 827.3/3026.7MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
hp-pavilion-d4650y ~ $

I would find another hard drive and just do a clean install of Linux Mint 18 Xfce that way if you don't like it you can go back to what you have now by simply re connecting the old hard drive.

Please make the spoiler icon easy to see as I have no clue where it is hidden.

Edited by The-Toolman, 22 July 2017 - 06:48 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

You guys kill me about old computers and new Linux distros don't work well and better off using an older supported distro.

Only sometimes, and usually only with the new to Linux.  Some hardware won't work at all with newer Distro's, so why would I suggest a noob waste their time with it, more stress and then less likely to be successful.  They can do what they want, I just suggest the Distro that will more likely run on their pc's, and I don't even know the OP's hardware, so all bets are off.  

O-yeah, I'm only assuming you were somewhat directing that comment to me?

Look at RJNB right now, he is needing to fix his issues now or do a reinstall, and as you can see, he is not looking forward to that.  I'm no Guru but I've had many Failed Installs because Distro's don't support the Hardware, and have pointed that out too many people on this site, some before they made the mistake and some after.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

Only sometimes, and usually only with the new to Linux.  Some hardware won't work at all with newer Distro's, so why would I suggest a noob waste their time with it, more stress and then less likely to be successful.  They can do what they want, I just suggest the Distro that will more likely run on their pc's, and I don't even know the OP's hardware, so all bets are off.  

O-yeah, I'm only assuming you were somewhat directing that comment to me?

Look at RJNB right now, he is needing to fix his issues now or do a reinstall, and as you can see, he is not looking forward to that.  I'm no Guru but I've had many Failed Installs because Distro's don't support the Hardware, and have pointed that out too many people on this site, some before they made the mistake and some after.

Hey pcpunk,

My comment was not directed at anyone.

My comment was spoken in general and no one in particular.

Sorry to disappoint you by not directing my comment towards you.

Most every forums I read how old computers don't run well with new Linux Distros and I guess that may be true for laptops.

I don't touch laptops except to gut them for memory and hard drives which I use the hard drives in desktops and give the laptop memory away.

I'm am not a Linux guru and don't claim to be.

I do know that I will take a chance to install any Linux Distro on any of my desktop computers to see if it will work and most of my computers are 10 years old.

If the install fails to work than I will revert back to a Linux distro that will work.

If one is unwilling to try and fail if it happens than one will never learn anything.

There are two kinds of doers in my world and one only sits in a chair and scrutinizes from what he reads that others have done and failed.

The other kind of doer is one who actually is willing to take a chance at success or failure and actually do the task or install as in this case and then truly knows what works by the actual task of the completed job.

Don't be scared take a chance as if I wouldn't have taken a chance with Linux I would just be another Windows 10 complainer and there is already more than enough of them.

Life Is Good.

The Toolman. :wink:

P.S. Yes I already know I'm an A.H. :thumbsup:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:50 AM

I don't think anyone said that new Linux versions don't work with old hardware, only that older versions are less likely to cause problems, since most of their "wrinkles" have been ironed out.

It's a simple fact, that no developer, can test their product for all situations prior to release, so they rely on feedback from their userbase, to find and resolve issues that were not addressed in the Alpha and Beta testing phases of development.

The longer a product is exposed to the public, the more issues come to light, so in general, older products have fewer issues than newer.

Of course pretty much all Linux distros have been well tested before they are released to the public, and the vast majority of people will have no problem with them whatsoever, however, that does not change the fact that an older version of a product (provided it is still under support) generally has fewer "surprises" for the people who use it.

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

Hey Gary R,

Perhaps you are right.

I just don't understand all of these nightmares that people have with Linux as I have installed it on a lot of old desktops and a lot of new desktops and for the most OOTB without any problems.

Perhaps I have just been fortunate and also probably don't have problems since I only use desktops.

#15 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

Yes, I don't generally have problems either, probably because I install on machines with pretty standard hardware setups (well on OEM machines anyway), and they're common enough to have had most if not all their problems sorted out in the Alpha and Beta testing stages.

Trust me, I have no down on new releases, and if anyone infers that from what I've written, then I must apologise for not expressing myself clearly enough.

The OP here is clearly new to Linux, and as such, may find the sheer volume of new Linux releases to be intimidating. What I was suggesting, was that there was no need for him to feel pressured to move away from Mint 17.2 just because it's been superseded by newer versions, and that if he's looking for stability whilst he learns more about Linux, then for the time being he's fine staying where he is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users