Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling/ downgrading 8.1 pro to 8.1

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

Hello everyone I am currently using windows 8.1 pro but the nagging your windows is about to expire screen keeps showing up, even though it won't expire soon ( it actually expires in around 25 days ). I am planning to downgrade my pc to windows 8.1 original as my pc originally came with that version.

As such I would appreciate your guidance on the topic.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

do you have 8.1 install usb or cd?

if not you need to create one,

download an 8.1 ISO file, then create a bootable usb using rufus

and note that all your files, documents, etc will be gone after you do the install

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

Your post it a wee bit confusing.  The title "Reinstalling/downgrading 8.1 Pro to 8.1" doesn't really explain just what you wish to accomplish.

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a OEM computer was the original version of Windows 8.1 the Home version or the Pro version.

Why do you wish to change the operating system?  Is there a problem with the current operating system?

Is the Windows 8.1 Pro a retail copy of the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

Hey Mikey and dc3,

Well you see dc3 my pc had a an issue with the registry some months ago. I took it to the store to get it repaired. When I got it back the pc had been formatted clean and windows pro was installed. I don't know whether it is an original or a pirated version but I looked around I don't have any kms or anything similar.

My pc is a toshiba satellite c50, the original windows was windows 8 home version  I upgraded it to windows 8.1 later on. As for the current system there is no problem except the continuous nagging screen of the windows about to expire as I mentioned in the original post.

If there is anything else needed , tell me.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

Ah...  that explains the nagging.

I will post further after I do a quick search.

Edited by dc3, 22 July 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:10 AM

Is there different versions of windows 8.1 ? I also read somewhere that I need to install windows 8 and upgrade it to windows 8.1 ?

About my data will everything be deleted  ? Do I need to reinstall all my drivers  ?

I haven't done this before as you may see.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

The Windows 8 product code is embedded in the BIOS.  Because of this you should be able to wipe the hdd/ssd and install Windows 8 since this is what was originally installed on this computer.  I could be well worth contacting Toshiba to see how much they will charge you for the installation disk for Windows 8.  This would come with the drivers you need for this computer.  This would probably be the easiest and least expensive way to deal with this.

The problem with the Windows 8.1 Pro installation is that you will need the product code for this installation.  That product code retails for $199.00.  Did the shop which installed the Windows 8.1 Pro charge you for this installation?  If they did you need to go back to them and demand the product key for this installation.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

The Windows 8.1 ISO is downloadable from Microsoft just like the Windows 10 one is (and I believe Windows 7 is as well, but didn't do the search just now).

I'd definitely try installing using the straight Microsoft install media first before purchasing from the manufacturer.  You can definitely snag any drivers that might be problematic from the Toshiba support webpage for your machine.

All of the above presumes you want to go back to Windows 8.1 Home and are not going to pursue the issue of getting a license key for the Pro installation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:47 AM

All of the above presumes you want to go back to Windows 8.1 Home and are not going to pursue the issue of getting a license key for the Pro installation.

I most certainly haven't made any presumptions regarding which version of Windows 8/8.1 they should or will pursue.  What I did suggest was that if they paid for this installation of Windows 8.1 Pro they should go back to that shop and get the legal product code for the Pro version.  If the shop refuses to provide the proper product code it will be very expensive to purchase the product code for the Windows 8.1 Pro. 

As I posted previously the product code for the Windows 8 Home is embedded in the BIOS/UEFI which will recognize the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Home, this is the easiest option.  If there are any problems doing this there is a good article which suggests a workaround.  You can find it here.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

dc3, I truly wish you would desist in believing that every response I make on a thread in which we're both participating is to you.

The line you quote is directed at the OP, and if you read what they said and what you said as well I believe that to be obvious.  It is predicated upon your observation that the product code for Windows 8.1 Home would be embedded in BIOS/UEFI on the machine in question.

The OP may wish to follow your advice and go after the shop that installed Pro, and were I them I would.  However, they may not be quite so willing to be the "warrior" and prefer to go back to Windows 8.1 Home.  I just wanted to make sure that they understood that this could be accomplished without ordering anything from the OEM with regard to installation media.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

Hey guys,

I wanted to inform you that I did not pay for windows 8.1 pro to be installed nor do I know why that ' idiot' installed it, because I specifically asked him to install a clean version of my windows and use the activation key already present in my device. My pc is already 4 years old, as thus I am not going to invest in windows 8.1 pro. My only option now it seem is to reinstall windows 8.1 and using this 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580957/your-windows-licence-will-expire-soon/ 

I was able to extract my windows activation code using the tool posted by JohnC.

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:37 AM

download the version of windows that came with your computer and install it,

you dont need to worry about any product code with windows 8, it will activate automatically

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

download the version of windows that came with your computer and install it,

you dont need to worry about any product code with windows 8, it will activate automatically

Part of what you posted was correct... "you don't need to worry about the product code".  You can install Windows 8.1 and the product code will recognize this and activate it. 

Unless the OP has a copy of the Windows 8 installation media they will have trouble finding a ISO for it.  To the best of my knowledge the only ISO download is for Windows 8.1.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,039 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

The OP's original post notes the machine came with Windows 8.1 Home originally.

Given that Microsoft allowed anyone and everyone to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 without cost, and in fact encouraged it, I would imagine that a Windows 8 license key would activate 8.1 in any event.  I have not tried that, but it makes sense given the history.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

Brian...  from post #4.

My pc is a toshiba satellite c50, the original windows was windows 8 home version  I upgraded it to windows 8.1 later on.

In post #9 I quoted what you had posted in post #8.  It was a direct quote.

This statement is all inclusive to those who posted previous to your post #8.  The language is very clear "All of the above presumes".  I don't see any way to misinterpret this.  Perhaps you should pay closer attention to your diction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users