Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC recently started hanging randomly, chrome slowed 1000x only sometimes, etc..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PapaSha

PapaSha

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:25 AM

Hi guys!

Been a long time lurker here, and love the entire idea of this forum - Much respect for giving up your free time to help out the less computer literate free.  Very cool.

Initially, I wasn't going to post, just try a bunch of different solutions / scans / etc...but I haven't been able to find anything, and the problem has persisted - And today, looking through my event logs, started to get a little worried and decided I should turn to a pro.

So here's whats going on:  As of about 2-3 days ago, my computer (1 year old, HP, 6700k, mainly stock everything but HD - Toshiba OCZ rd400 m.2), my pc started acting up.  First thing I noticed was loading chrome, which was fine, but any of the usual tabs I would go to wouldn't load, or would take MINUTES...instead of seconds.  After trying tens of sites, I gave up on that.  I opened edge, and it worked fine.

I also tried just forgetting about it, and opened steam up to play a new game I had just got, Shadow Warrior.  I launched it, and literally as soon as the screen went black to boot, everything froze.  I have 3 monitors, so the other two were showing my desktop still.  But nothing was responding.  Cntl+Alt+Del didn't work, alt+f4 didn't work, it was a full blown hang.  Hadn't had one of those I don't think ever on this PC.  So I hard reset the machine.  When it restarted, I tried chrome again, and it worked.  BUT, I also remembered I had installed a STUPID extension the day before, GIMP for chrome, and uploaded a PDF from the game "The Black Watchman", and tried editting it.  When I Couldn't do it easy enough, I moved on, but left the extension in tact.

The reason I remembered this was I also went into my chrome settings to try clearing cookies/cache etc...But the settings looked different than I remembered.  First, I was no longer signed in with my usual Google account, but "Person 1"; my google account wasn't even present.  2nd, I Wasn't even able to sign into google, just kept giving me bad passwords.  At that point, I Got a little nervous thinking maybe the extension was a hijacker or keylogger or virus, whatever, and I had given up all my passwords (cycled through about 10 passwords I use for everything).

All that aside, I deleted the extension fine.  I ran Norton (I have the Suite comcast gives free with monthly service), but I also ran MalwareBytes premium (which I also had just installed as a trial, and  still have like 5 days on, but always had the non-premium version), windows defender scan, and lastly the MalwareBytes AdwCleaner.

None came up with anything - AdwCleaner actually did, but it didn't seem to be anything too serious, but I let it delete everything regardless.   Today, I ran everything again, and dint find anything.

But looking through my event viewer logs, I see all sorts of stuff that troubled me, specifically under admin and security.  "Special Logon" happens ALOT in the last 3 days, along with security group management, and user account management.  Also, lots of VSS, windows error reporting, Itel RMT, ESENT, Security-SPP, LoadPerf, SideBySide, etc in application.  

Lastly, looked for the error 41 you mentioned in other posts, and found a few of them, although not too many, maybe 3-4 in the last few days.  FAound a ton of 11, 15, 16 (kernel-general), 7045 (service control manager), 35 (time service), 22 (powerservice)...but mostly information.  Like "reorganized", "provisioned", etc.  A few errors, 10016, distributedCom, which was app sepcific permission don't grand local activation for com server app with CLSID.

Sorry if this way too much unncessary info, just in the past I've been extremely paranoid about remote access, specifically hackers, so I think that's always in the back of my head that its going on, which I'm pretty sure I'm just making up.

Anyway, ready to run whatever necessary, and with the weekend, QUICKLY, to get my machine back running smoothly without doing a full wipe!  One thing to note: The issues don't seem to happen EVERY time, but like 3/5 at most.  I just reboot, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks again for all your help in advance, and having this amazing service available in the first place!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:41 AM

I'm not a pro, but if I were you, I'd delete all the unnecessary programs and files that I don't need any longer and just clean my PC's software in general. Then, I'd install and run Malwarebytes. Then an antivirus scan by your choice. You seem to have already done that, which is good. Finally, I'd download, install and run CCleaner. After that, I'd restart my computer and if the problem persists, I'd be ~75% sure it's due to overheating. I would then open up my computer's case and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years. If the problem persists, I'd wait for the help of Hamluis in this topic who is more knowledgeable and will ask for some logs from you, which he'll decipher.

Good luck! :)

P.S. Both Malwarebytes and CCleaner can be used directly after installation without other necessary tweaking of any sorts.:thumbup2:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 July 2017 - 01:44 AM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 PapaSha

PapaSha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

I'm not a pro, but if I were you, I'd delete all the unnecessary programs and files that I don't need any longer and just clean my PC's software in general. Then, I'd install and run Malwarebytes. Then an antivirus scan by your choice. You seem to have already done that, which is good. Finally, I'd download, install and run CCleaner. After that, I'd restart my computer and if the problem persists, I'd be ~75% sure it's due to overheating. I would then open up my computer's case and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years. If the problem persists, I'd wait for the help of Hamluis in this topic who is more knowledgeable and will ask for some logs from you, which he'll decipher.

Good luck! :)

P.S. Both Malwarebytes and CCleaner can be used directly after installation without other necessary tweaking of any sorts. :thumbup2:

Thanks for the advice JOQ,

Unfortunately, I've already done all those steps =(

1) Have malware Bytes premium, as well as AdwCleaner, and have ran full scans on both.

2) Have IObit Malware Fighter / SystemCare (I'm sure there is a lot of opinionated discussion on IObits in general ;) ), and while I know a lot of people don't like IOBit and think its malware, my experience hasn't really led me to that conclusion.  Sure, it can sometimes be a little bloated with "features" that aren't there, IE need to install X, Buy Y, Do Z, etc., I feel like in the last year, they have been getting better and better, keeping the software neater, cleaner, and still performing what its supposed to do.  That of course being the main takeaway- It always did what it was supposed to do for me.  But I'm not against removing it if there is solid, documented justifications for why CCleaner is better or why IObits [name_here] is bad.

3)  The side of my computer case is actually usually open, or cracked, and I know that is not ideal, and can actually sometimes be worst, but I tend to find that for the M.2 SSD (my main concern as far as heat goes, since this P.O.S., motherboard's M.2 slot is so tiny, and crammed under the video card!!  Freaking geniuses, hottest place on the MB in general, so lets put the 2nd hottest item there!) Good ol' HP & partners.  But it's been vacuumed as recently as last week, I haven't done the thermal paste, but I hardly should think that to be necessary given the PC was bought brand new January of 2016!  Plus would just hate to reseat the CPU and all that jazz unless necessary -

Do you think it really could be overheating? 

I had read that in a couple other posts with similar issues, but my main gripe there is that I have the M.2 SSDs software installed, which monitors heat (and tends to be the hottest thing in the pc, or 2nd, next to the GPU at least).  The SSD software actually sends out "alarms" when it gets above a certain temp, and its only gone off I think once in the last month or so - Its not unusual to have it go off 3x/day (there's also a 'auto-dismiss all overheat alarms' button to give you an idea of how widespread/often that prob is).

Plus, I have the standard fans, 120, 70 x3, and a good amount of space.  But I could try setting up a small desk fan under there to give some extra airflow and see if it changes anything?

#5 PapaSha

PapaSha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

USASMA, 

Thank you as well for the quick reply.  Please find the zipped events log file attached.  I am also running Speedfan, but I wasn't sure if you wanted the log of the temps just for a couple minutes, or wanted to me to let this run for like a day and upload it then.  Either way, I am letting speedfan continue logging for at least 24 hours while I go about my regular stuff.  I can post that as well if you'd like to see a more accurate image. 

I have also attached the instant log file though from about 10 minutes of letting speedfan run.   It does say my GPU is running hot, but I wonder if that would really affect anything else...Especially since everything else seems to be OK...maybe a little on the hot side, but by no means to "problem" territory yet I don't believe.

Pretty neat program though, might let it just auto run my fans indefinitely =P thanks for that already!

PS: This is going to sound really stupid - but I Can't for the life of me find where the hell SpeedFan is saving this logging file to!  Do you have any suggestions/guidance?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

The SpeedFan log is best if it's running when the system hangs/slows down.

The point being that we want to see the temps when the problems are happening.
Sometimes it's not easy to catch the temp reading when the system hangs - that's why I ask for log.

If you know that the GPU is running hot, then that's the place to start.
It can cause the symptoms that you describe.

Make sure that the GPU:

- is firmly seated in the slot (take appropriate anti-static precautions when doing this).

- that any power connectors are firmly seated into the video card

- that the GPU cooler is clean and free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc

- that the GPU cooler is firmly affixed to the GPU (you may not be able to do this)

- that the fan is blowing air into the cooler

- that the system isn't blowing hot air into the fan/cooler

The SpeedFan logs are saved at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Still need the reports from Report Set #1) in order to do a complete analysis.

Lot's of Intel RMT errors in the Admin logfile.

Download and install the update from here:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-ready-mode-technology-intel-rmt.html

Beyond that, I don't see any obvious signs of repeating errors that may be related to this problem.

As such, I suspect a hardware problem - with the most likely thing being a problem with your video card (could be overheating).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 PapaSha

PapaSha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:07 PM

Sorry was doing a family picnic all day, but I finally managed to find it when I got home and logged on - It was saving to desktop =/  Hard to see since I have three monitors lol.

Anyway, you'll find the zip attached.  Hopefully this will do it, I'll also go ahead and attach the speedfan log when I Find that =P

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:03 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A0.38) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

C: drive only has about 6.8% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

These devices are disabled in Device Manager.  Did you deliberately disable them?  If so, why did you disable them?

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_B723&SUBSYS_804C103C&REV_00\4&1A800197&0&00E4    This device is disabled.
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_2B4B103C&REV_10\4&7D10F6E&0&00E6    This device is disabled.

Drivers still continue to load for these devices at boot.  As such, they can still affect system functions and can be a part of the BSOD memory dump files.

Please re-enable the device(s), then update their drivers to the latest available version.  If you'd like, feel free to disable them again AFTER they are updated.

#9 PapaSha

PapaSha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

OK, so:

Those are disabled because I don't use them; I have a separate wifi adapter (built in doesn't do 5ghz), and it was annoying having it randomly connect instead of my adapter sometimes,

and the gigabit eithernet adapter I just don't use cause I don't have wired...no reason really, just turned it off as well.  But I have re-enabled, and updated. 

Is there a way to keep the wifi adapter up to date, but disabled / not in use?  Hate when I don't notice and its connected instead of the 5G

As for update, I have it scheduled to check/install daily, but I double checked, and says I am up to date.

Hard drive - Just made room transferring a bunch of stuff to E, now have 170 used, 42.7 free (which is really 62.7, 20gb is unallocated for SSD longevity)...don't know if that 20 counts?

Sorry - Also BIOS is up to date - that is also auto done by HP support assistant, until I get a new mobo, which will be soon now that my warranty is up

#10 PapaSha

PapaSha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

And Just to re-iterate: I don't get any BSODs, more like just non responsive black screens... And it happens still randomly, sometimes in games (always when I alt tab)...actually thats the only time I can think of, but thats really all I do on my machine anyways.

That being said, this wasn't happening EVER, and had never happened before, prior to like 2 days before I posted my initial problem.  Only thing I could think of was GIMP.  I just uninstalled/reinstalled chrome as well.  Unfortunately, don't have a restore point or a file history point I can revert to before that, which is strange cause I have them both on..but prob just not a large enough storage size for the restore points (overwriting constantly).  Changed that as well.

#11 PapaSha

PapaSha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

HA sorry, also forgot to mention I installed the intel RMT driver.  One other thing with that - I prefer to have remote access completely disabled.  I never do, and if anyone was to try/ do it it would be unauthorized...is it strange that I am getting so many RMT errors with remote connections completely off, all options for it off, etc?

And will it enable a way of remoting in that I need to turn off post-installation of the driver?

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

I understand that you're not getting BSOD's.  But I am a BSOD analyst first and foremost, so I tend to focus on those things the most.

But, as I do other things (like troubleshoot crashes/freezes/hangs/etc) I often use BSOD troubleshooting techniques and may, inadvertently, say BSOD when I actually mean crash/freeze/etc

Just FYI - I got into troubleshooting black screens and other errors as they sometimes tend to appear after a BSOD issue is fixed.

In general if the driver is disabled, then you'll have to enable it to check.

I'd just suggest that you check for updates on a schedule of your own choosing.

I use a calendar app to remind me (and, frankly, I tend to ignore the calendar app reminders until it's too late :0)

While I like the HP Support Assistant, I find that it doesn't always update the BIOS as often as it can.
I still suggest checking the HP support site for your model to verify that a newer version isn't available.

Regarding the Intel RMT - first off, I am not familiar with it.
Next, if it's trying to check, but the checking is disabled - then the driver may spit errors even though nothing seems wrong.
IMO this would be due to poorly designed software - and I don't expect to see that from Intel software.  So, I'd think it was a corruption of the software that did it.

Either way, uninstalling it and then downloading/installing a fresh copy would fix any corruptions that exist - and that way you'd know if the errors came from a corruption or not.

I looked at the RMT website here:  https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/technologies/intel-ready-mode-technology-intel-rmt.html

It said that support for the RMT is from your manufacturer - not from Intel.  And this implies (to me) that HP can do things with the RMT before it's installed on your system.

IMO this is the type of software that I don't want to use until I'm forced to use it - as there's too many fingers in the code!

I'd suggest, if you wish to keep using it, that you contact HP for assistance with your questions about it.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 26 July 2017 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users