Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did something stupid, (power into USB) now computer seems dead

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennisnky

Dennisnky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

Windows 10 Toshiba Laptop. Fairly new. I don't really know all the details because I can't turn it on and look.

I bought a little phone charger type of hidden camera, was trying to figure it out. When I plugged it to my computer that didn't seem to work.
I thought maybe it needed to be plugged in. So, long story short I did the equivalent of plugging the microusb end with charging current of probably 2.1mA, into my computers USB.
Instantly my laptop shut off as if I had taken the battery out.
I have not been able to turn my laptop back on. I unplugged it, took the battery out, still no luck.
This is a Toshiba Satellite L55t-B5271.
Im hoping there's some way to reset!

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Try powercycling. You were almost there. Pull the power adapter and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter and battery. 

#3 Dennisnky

Dennisnky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Sorry, I probably should have updated this -- I did try the 30 seconds, with the battery out and unplugged.  Saw another post where that seemed to work.  I also saw some other post that seemed to mention a minute, so I tried a minute as well with no luck.  

I did see another post talking about taking the small battery out of the motherboard and putting it back, like a Bios reset or something.  I haven't tried that yet.  After a couple hours of searching online, that seemed like the only other thing I could do short of taking it to a shop.  I do feel comfortable taking the hard drive out and at least getting the files off it that I want, so I will probably do that before taking it to a shop in case they reformat the disk without telling me, which seems to be something that happens. 

Try powercycling. You were almost there. Pull the power adapter and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter and battery. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

1. I bought a little phone charger type of hidden camera, was trying to figure it out. When I plugged it to my computer that didn't seem to work.

2. I thought maybe it needed to be plugged in. So, long story short I did the equivalent of plugging the microusb end with charging current of probably 2.1mA, into my computers USB.
Instantly my laptop shut off as if I had taken the battery out.

1. Please provide the manufacturer's name of this device and any model information you can find on it.

2. Was this device suppose to be plugged into a 110V receptacle/outlet to charge the device?

The 2.1mA figure is not going to be a problem since a 2.0 USB port can up to 500mA, a 3.0 USB port up to 900mA.  What we need to know is what the voltage output of this device which you plugged into your computer's USB port.  The usual voltage output of a USB port is 5V.

Edited by dc3, 27 July 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users