Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login to second router setup page?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cushphil

cushphil

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Hi guys. I was wanting to set up a second router as a wireless access point. So I reset the old router that I am going to use plugged it into my laptop with an ethernet cable ipconfigged the ip address popped it into the browser to access the setup page but it ppears the ip address is the same as my main router 192.168.2.1 and it instead goes to the main routers setup page. so I turned off the wifi on the laptop and tried to access the page without an internet connection but it wouldnt connect. Any ideas welcome :) Cheers guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'd try turning off the old router when you're working with the "new" one rather than the WiFi on your laptop, though I can't understand why turning off WiFi would have any effect on your ethernet connection.

It is best to only have a single router that you are connecting to at the same time until you can change the gateway address on the one you need to since it matches the one you're currently using.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 cushphil

cushphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Yeah cause once the wifi is off on the laptop there is no physicl connection to the main router so I would have thought the load up page for the old dynalink router that I am going to turn into a wireless ap would work. My main router is plugged into a DSL plug in the wall. Should  Iunplug it and plug the dsl cble into the old dynalink router do you think that would work?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

You must have your ethernet connection to the router you are trying to work on.  I would have the other router powered down for the duration of working on the other until the gateway addresses are different.

I am entirely unclear as to what you're trying to do here, as it sounds like you have a DSL modem-router with WiFi already.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 cushphil

cushphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

yes I have a DSL modem in my office with wifi but the wifi doesnt stretch to the other end of my huge house. I have a wifi repeater down there but it just doesnt do the job. I have access to ethernet down that end of the house now though via powerline adapters so I am hoping to turn an old dynalink router into a wireless access point down the far end of the house through the powerline adapters. but when I try to set up the second old router to perfom said task I cant log into the dynalink setup page through 192.168.2.1 as the main router hs that ip address. Sorry for the confusion Im a noob at this :) Hope that helps?? Cheers.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:04 PM

I've done exactly what you're proposing several years ago in a 1930s era brick, concrete, and steel building where I needed wireless on the second floor but the main modem-router was on the first.

I wish I could remember the details of what I did, but the one thing I do remember is that the secondary router does not function as anything other than a conduit to the first.  All IP assignment happens through the main router.  I know that I figured this out by doing web research and then following a set of step-by-step instructions that made the most sense to me.

I did, however, string an actual ethernet cable between the two.  I don't know whether the powerline adapters will work well in this arrangement or not, but it can't hurt to try.

Edited by britechguy, 21 July 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#7 cushphil

cushphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks. I will try the ethernet cable to the main router. And I have watched a few youtube videos suggesting the powerline adapter thing should work fine. And yes the second router no longer acts a a router and as such all the vids say I need to alter some of the settings in that router. But like  Isay all the videos I watch the ip of the second router i different and they just go straight into a browser and away it goes. Will keep searching but hopfully some more info comes to light :) Cheers again.

#8 cushphil

cushphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:58 PM

7:54 into this video is where it omes unstuck for me and the login page will not connect.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3plXzZ1Ckc

I have tried different browsers as well with no luck.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

Hi,

Cut the wireless connection to the main router, keep the extra router (router2) power down, connect the Ethernet cable from the computer to the router2, if this router have a WAN port don't connect to that one use one of the normal ports. Power on the router2 and wait to see if the computer gets an IP address, from the Windows Command Prompt use the ipconfig command to see if the computer got an IP address in the form 192.168.2.X (based on the information you provide)

If you changed the router configuration and disabled the DHCP server on the router2 already the computer will not get and IP and you have to configure a fixed IP address on the computer to something like 192.168.2.10 for example.

Is important to know the IP address of the main router and the DHCP range that is in set on that router because you should set the IP address on router2 to some IP on the same network (192.168.2) but with an IP address outside of the DHCP range.

Example: the main router with ip address 192.168.2.1 with DHCP set with the range 192.168.2.2-192.168.2.100
the router2 could have any IP address selected from 192.168.2.101 to .254 to avoid conflicts.

After changing the IP of the router2 and disable the DHCP server, connect router2 to the main router and change the computer configuration to use DHCP instead of a fixed IP.

Edited by SleepyDude, 22 July 2017 - 06:43 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

What should happen is you assign 192.168.2.2 to the 2nd router statically so you can admin it in the future.

You disable 2nd routers dhcp server.

Now here is the important part; you connect the 2nd router by one of its LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on router1

This way the main router is the dhcp server for both with wifi and wired 2nd router clients.  the 2nd router is just a glorified wifi switch

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,973 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

Wand3r3r,

It was that last bit about the connection *to* the second router that's being used as a glorified WiFi switch be via one of its LAN ports that I'd forgotten and that's critical, coupled with that modem-router's DHCP server feature being disabled.

Edited by britechguy, 22 July 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#12 cushphil

cushphil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

Hiya. I fixed it last night and all going great now :) I hit diagnose on the the second router in Windows and it found a problem with the dsl then I was able to access the dynalink login page no worries then set it up as per YouTube and it's working great via the powerline adapter. The wife is very happy. Cheers Bri.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users