Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erase Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

How do i completely erase my hard drive? i have a plethora of corrupt files and i cant unistal several things. Also it wont let me remove Oblivion, yet it wont let me reinstall it. So you can you give me something to erase it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

You could reformat, and reinstall the Operating System, or use one of these:
Eraser
Active@ KillDisk
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 disneycast

disneycast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

How do i reformat the hard drive?

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

Well first off I would just like to warn your that reformating erases your hardrive completely and it is difficult to recover files from up afterwards. This also requires you to reinstall your OS.

First of all you will have to make sure that you have your OS cd and ALL of your drivers before we reformat.

#5 disneycast

disneycast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:17 PM

I've got them all and i want everything of my hardrive. Too much crap. ALso if i reformat it does it get rid of my partition? if not how can i get rid of it?

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Well if you want to get rid of a partition then yes it is while you a reformating that you must remove this. While installing windows it will ask you to wich partition you want to install too and in this screen you also have the opportunity of removing partitions.

#7 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

disneycast:

The problems that you are haveing may be due to a corrupted file system. If your operating system is still running properly, I suggest that you try running CHKDSK.
  • Open a command prompt.
    • Click Start then select Runů
    • Type "command" or "cmd" (no quotes).
    • Click "OK"
  • Type "chkdsk x: /f /r" (type command with no quotes and substituting the drive letter of the external for the "x:"). Note: Option /f : Fixes errors on the disk. Option /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
  • The following may not apply if you are not scanning your primary drive. But just in case:
    • Type "Y" (no quotes), when asked if you want to do this during the next reboot.
    • Type "EXIT" (no quotes)
    • Reboot your system.
  • Note: CHKDSK may run for quite a while so just be patient.
For more information on CHKDSK see:

Edited by just me, 14 September 2006 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users