Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Input lag in games until GPU Driver reinstall or Windows Fresh install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 veiledflame

veiledflame

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

Hello everyone, I've been having a ton of problems with my computer for the better part of a year. No matter what GPU I have installed (used to have an r9 390) I get input lag in all games until reinstalling my GPU drivers. After restarting later on in the day all the sudden the input lag is back; again until reinstalling the drivers.

I really hope someone can help me, I haven't been able to play Overwatch properly for a long time and I'm on a semi-pro team. I've replaced my motherboard, GPU, SSD, and memory so far. I've tried running in selective startup, and pretty much anything I could think of. If you need more details please let me know I'm hoping to get this resolved as quickly as possible before my next team's practice. 

Motherboard:
Asus Maxiumus IX Hero
(Used to have an Asus z170-a)

GPU:
Nvidia EVGA 1080 ti (I've installed different drivers that all result in the same input lag upon restart, using DDU)

SSD:
Samsung 950 Pro (with latest NVME drivers)

Memory:
GSKILL 3200 16gb x 2

Power Supply:
EVGA 1000W

CPU:
Intel 6700k @ 4.0
Kraken x61 with CAM software

Note: I've contacted Blizzard a lot and they keep telling me my computer looks fine based on my msinfo/dxdiag. However I think I'm missing something. It only ever operates properly upon reinstalling the GPU drivers whether its the 1080 ti or the r9 390. I've suspected it might have something to do with my M.2 drive as well since the issues only return upon restart. No matter how much lag, I always have 200-300 fps (in overwatch, but other games as well). 

Something important to note is the input lag seems to persist no matter what game I play. Feels like I'm dragging my cursor through mud is the way I would describe it. If you need more details please feel free to request it. I'm new to the site so any help would be amazing. I've deployed the following solutions so far:

• Replaced the motherboard, GPU, and memory
  • Disabled game DVR
  • Disabled Intel Speedstep
  • Disabled Fast Boot in both BIOS and Windows
  • Enabled Maximum Performance plan in windows (also disabled put hd to sleep)
  • Disabled all AsMedia controllers in the BIOS
  • Wiped the computer multiple times (windows 10)
  • Disabled Cortana
  • Disabled Windows Update
  • Nvidia maximum performance enabled (as well as max pre-rendered set to 1)
  • Installed NVME drivers (2.2) as well as Samsung Magician with latest firmware on the drive
  • Monitored all temperatures and they're all well within the regular range
  • And a lot more I can't remember anymore...

Hopefully this gives you guys enough info! If not make please don't hesitate to ask me for anything. I'm looking to solve the issue as quickly as I can (as having the issue for a year has left me frustrated). 

Most recently replaced my m.2 drive with a Samsung 850 Evo. The problem persists.

Edited by veiledflame, 21 July 2017 - 12:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twinstorm21

Twinstorm21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

i feel you man . i got the exact same problem here with my laptop. im looking for the same fix here 

absolutely no problems with the laptop's display but through hdmi i get a muddy cursor too! its unpleasant and in no way possible to play any competitive games like pubg

i can see its been a little while since you posted this , just know you're not alone in this situation.

i kinda hope you've found a solution

well here are my specs

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234459

#3 veiledflame

veiledflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

i feel you man . i got the exact same problem here with my laptop. im looking for the same fix here 

absolutely no problems with the laptop's display but through hdmi i get a muddy cursor too! its unpleasant and in no way possible to play any competitive games like pubg

i can see its been a little while since you posted this , just know you're not alone in this situation.

i kinda hope you've found a solution

well here are my specs

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234459

Hey! Glad I'm not alone, but I'm sorry you have to endure this annoying issue. I actually broke the bank and built a second computer as I kept replacing parts. Now I have two full builds:

Asus Z170-A + i7 6700k

Asus IX Hero + i7 7700k

I'm only posting those two items for a reason. They're the only consistency between both computers. They're both intel and both Asus but everything else is different.

I'm going to save you a lot of time and tell you the things I've noticed and found online. So first off I wanted to ask, does your cursor lag go away sometimes upon reboot (seemingly at random)? If so I've found a reddit post about Intel and 200 series chipsets here (don't get too excited the fix didn't work for me, I tested it last night):

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/7nmelf/psa_output_lag_fix_for_intel_200_series/

The "Fix": https://pastebin.com/eKSpmVZ7

You can try this if you want as its risk free, it won't break your system. But it didn't help mine. However knowing this and a lot of other posts I've seen/made I came to a conclusion. 

I believe that Intel and Asus somehow have an incompatibility with the Intel Chipset drivers and the Intel Management Engine. That's why the OP for that reddit post was trying to fix his through the device manager. I've seen a few people that fixed their system with that method or at least claimed to. But the problem is for his "fix" everyone sees something different in the device manager depending on your motherboard. I was missing two of the necessary things to remove according to him.

So if I were you I'd take steps to bring this to Asus AND Intel. To be honest with you I'm not sure what to do anymore. I'm stuck with two input lag filled PCs and I play Overwatch at a competitive level to the point I've been just shy of being in the top500 for the NA servers.  I was on two semi-pro teams that I had to quit because of this issue. Obviously I haven't been able to get there with all these problems however.

If you have the option I'd suggest building or purchasing a new PC. If my theory is correct I'd say get an AMD processor and I'm assuming it'll be fine with an Asus motherboard. I'm sure you've seen all the reported issues with intel in the recent years including the spectre & meltdown exploits. As well as the huge networking chipset that intel is getting sued for; the Puma 6 chipset. If not look those up and you'll see what I mean.

I haven't heard of a single person that's had an AMD processor and had this issue. Don't get me wrong I'm not endorsing AMD, I'm personally considering selling 3 of my computers to buy a new computer with a Ryzen for testing. The other option for me would be to buy a new motherboard as well as a Ryzen processor and see what happens with every other component being the same.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've been at this for a while.

Edited by veiledflame, 13 January 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#4 Seanyp

Seanyp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Mouse feels floaty on desktop and in games along with keyboard delay (just a hint but enough) and there is a very slight 'graphical' stutter. 

Like you I have a very powerful computer...

i7 7820x

1080 ti 

Asus Rog Strix 299 

etc etc

I've tried everything you have including practically everything in https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950944/pc-components/mouse-input-lag-is-killing-me/ site, including all the external sites linked within the posts (the reddit posts etc).

Reinstalled windows

Deleted mouse files 

Tested new hardware (tested everything one by one)

Went through everything in bios - including flash etc etc

Updated all drivers and even tried rolling back to previous drivers and older

Mouse accel input code etc (accel 0/1 nonsense)

Tried new wall sockets + grounding

Tested all Nvidia GFX settings

Floaty mouse is still there and it's a killer in competitive gaming. Since it's happened I can no longer play at the same level, so have quit all competitions and stopped competing against high skilled players in certain games that I could have easily have held my own with in the past - it's really frustrating. 

Particularly for games like World of Warcraft where my DPS in raids has suffered immensely and people are always asking why my damage is so low for the gear I have. £$%^£&^!!!!! it's just so frustrating. Just given up on FPS games completely, mouse feels like its dragging across ice at times its just whacked. 

If you come across anything please let me know because I want to take a hammer to my PC and I'm extremely depressed after spending a lot of money on creating this monster setup and its not even playable. Oh I also tried installing windows 7, same problem. 

Please keep me posted bud.

P.S. What makes it more frustrating is that to the naked eye everything appears fine, when my friend comes over he thinks nothing is wrong, but he's not a gamer. I also took it to get looked at by a computer shop but again they weren't gamers and they told me everything was fine, and that's the thing everything does seem fine (applications open as they should, videos play, music plays, everything works as normal) but when you move the mouse quickly and try to be precise it feels floaty and in games there feels like a micro-bottlenecking happening somewhere. Losing my mind here :'(

Edited by Seanyp, 02 February 2018 - 09:27 PM.

#5 veiledflame

veiledflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Mouse feels floaty on desktop and in games along with keyboard delay (just a hint but enough) and there is a very slight 'graphical' stutter. 

i7 7820x

1080 ti 

Asus Rog Strix 299 

etc etc

I've tried everything you have including practically everything in https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950944/pc-components/mouse-input-lag-is-killing-me/ site, including all the external sites linked within the posts (the reddit posts etc).

Reinstalled windows

Deleted mouse files 

Floaty mouse is still there and it's a killer in competitive gaming. Since it's happened I can no longer play at the same level, so have quit all competitions and stopped competing against high skilled players in certain games that I could have easily have held my own with in the past - it's really frustrating. 

Particularly for games like World of Warcraft where my DPS in raids has suffered immensely and people are always asking why my damage is so low for the gear I have. £$%^£&^!!!!! it's just so frustrating. Just given up on FPS games completely, mouse feels like its dragging across ice at times its just whacked. 

If you come across anything please let me know because I want to take a hammer to my PC and I'm extremely depressed after spending a lot of money on creating this monster setup and its not even playable. Oh I also tried installing windows 7, same problem. 

P.S. What makes it more frustrating is that to the naked eye everything appears fine, when my friend comes over he thinks nothing is wrong, but he's not a gamer. I also took it to get looked at by a computer shop but again they weren't gamers and they told me everything was fine, and that's the thing everything does seem fine (applications open as they should, videos play, music plays, everything works as normal) but when you move the mouse quickly and try to be precise it feels floaty and in games there feels like a micro-bottlenecking happening somewhere. Losing my mind here :'(

Welcome to the club Seany. I might have some good news. Coincidentally I came across an article that was posted very recently about CS:GO lag and while i dont personally play the game it caught my attention nonetheless. Its hard for me to test this fix as I have internet issues at the same time and Overwatch has lag on shots if you have a bad connection. So do me a favor and try this fix (i linked the youtube version as well):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1270041177

Do only step 1 which is using the Nvidia inspector. For me, it felt better immediately and I was hitting shots right away. However my crap internet kicked in and started screwing me over right after, and of course there's reports of Overwatch having ping issues after a recent patch so that's not great timing for me. But in any case try the steps for the first solution in that article and reboot and let me know if that helps at all. To me even with my internet issues it felt like night and day right away. I can't be 100% sure until my internet issues are fixed though, in the meantime I'm going to test other games and see how that goes. Let me know when you try it.

Edit: I'll be online for a while tonight if you need to get a hold of me for anything else.

Edited by veiledflame, 02 February 2018 - 09:42 PM.

#6 Seanyp

Seanyp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Hi,

i7 7820x

1080 ti 

Asus Rog Strix 299 

etc etc

Reinstalled windows

Deleted mouse files 

Welcome to the club Seany. I might have some good news. Coincidentally I came across an article that was posted very recently about CS:GO lag and while i dont personally play the game it caught my attention nonetheless. Its hard for me to test this fix as I have internet issues at the same time and Overwatch has lag on shots if you have a bad connection. So do me a favor and try this fix (i linked the youtube version as well):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1270041177

Do only step 1 which is using the Nvidia inspector. For me, it felt better immediately and I was hitting shots right away. However my crap internet kicked in and started screwing me over right after, and of course there's reports of Overwatch having ping issues after a recent patch so that's not great timing for me. But in any case try the steps for the first solution in that article and reboot and let me know if that helps at all. To me even with my internet issues it felt like night and day right away. I can't be 100% sure until my internet issues are fixed though, in the meantime I'm going to test other games and see how that goes. Let me know when you try it.

Edit: I'll be online for a while tonight if you need to get a hold of me for anything else.

Hi bud and thanks for the response and info, I'm going to try that stuff now, though I just want to clarify that we have the same issue because when I re-read your original post you stated that your input lag was in games so does that mean you don't get it on desktop? For me it's input lag all the time (in terms of the floaty mouse movement) otherwise my computer is fine, no crashes no hanging nothing else. It feels as though there is micro-bottlenecking occurring somewhere overall and not just when I load up games. Let me know if your problem is the same.

Again cheers for the info, I'll look into it now.

S

#7 Seanyp

Seanyp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

Just checked out that video and made the changes, it did something but didn't fix the issue :'(    ....still there :'(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users