Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I clear Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rimmer80

rimmer80

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

I have an old desk-top computer running Win XP Pro that I no longer use and want to erase all data from the HD and RAM before disposal.  Can anyone give me advice re this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

The only sure way to dispose of a hard drive is to physically destory it. But, if you software wipe the drive using the DOS 7 pass method there is virtually no way anybody would be able to recover the data. Ram storage is gone as soon as the computer is shut down.

You can download the iso file of Partition Wizard v9. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking it on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk and Select Wipe Disk 7 pass.

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Bootable-CD,0301-51034.html

#3 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for that John.   Seem to remember when reloading XP once from the original disc that there is a warning that 'all existing data will be deleted'.  Would that be enough or should that warning not be taken too literally.  Thought maybe that that would be a quick and easy way to clear my data.     If not then I have better destroy the HD disc physically as you suggested.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

sledgehammer, concrete brick, gasoline and a match?...take your pick

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for that John.   Seem to remember when reloading XP once from the original disc that there is a warning that 'all existing data will be deleted'.  Would that be enough or should that warning not be taken too literally.  Thought maybe that that would be a quick and easy way to clear my data.     If not then I have better destroy the HD disc physically as you suggested.

No, Reloading XP is not enough. You either need to physically destroy the drive or zero wipe it with 7 passes even though on modern drives one pass is enough. 

Edit: Please read the following.

http://docs.bleachbit.org/doc/shred-files-and-wipe-disks.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 July 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#6 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Many thanks for you help John and Mikey, think I will get physical with it, pass me the sledge hammer, flame thrower, the TNT and the Phaser.

#7 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

Aware that this won't add info to your original question which was fully answered, I had three desktop XP Pro computers that finally died. Before disposing, I removed the hard drives for storage until such a time where I can hook up to a new (Mac, when we get one) computer in case there's anything to retrieve. They take little space, the towers that hosted them are long gone, any info on the drives are physically secure, and heck... if I decide it's not worth the effort, they contain rare earth magnets to play with if I so desired (strong refridgerator magnets maybe).
Just an offered alternative in liew of a sledge or TNT. :)

#8 rimmer80

rimmer80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

Or you could open them up and remove the lovely shiny disc, attach string and hang them in the garden for bird scarers.  Much more up market than CDs.

#9 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:19 AM

I have an old desk-top computer running Win XP Pro that I no longer use and want to erase all data from the HD and RAM before disposal.  Can anyone give me advice re this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Google these:

Active@ Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser

CBL Data Shredder  1.0

Disk Wipe 1.7

HDShredder 4.0.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users