Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 very slow to boot up.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benchrest76

benchrest76

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hello,

I have a very "well maintained" desktop Asus computer, all tasks, updates, no junk. (I do not download anything from Windows Update that is not a Windows product. ie printer, camera etc.)  It is 4 years old and I only have about 5 extensions in Chrome. I also have Firefox but use mostly Chrome.  I run AV program, and paid version of Malwarebytes.  I recently moved a bunch of files and photos to an external drive. (About 7 GB).   In "Computer" properties it shows I have 220 GB used and 525 GB free space.

I am an ATT U-Verse customer, and older equipment from them has been replaced.  My computer is Ethernet wired and my wife's laptop is wireless. *** her laptop is also Windows 7 and works great even though it is wireless. 

Maybe about 2 months ago I started having 2 main problems.  (I did system restore when noticed with no luck).  

1... I have verified my Internet connection is good, but my PC takes 7 to 8 minutes to boot up and be usable.  Once there and working, my computer loads pages/websites, nicely and no complaints

2... Then sometimes after a while of working, and sometimes maybe 1 or 3 days later, my browsers will not load.

Note:  A restart.... a miserable 7 minutes, will fix it and I can get connected ......till the next time it happens.

I have studied my problem in Google searches and tried "multiple solutions suggestions" with not much of any success.  

All of that said:  I am not a real whiz in what I call "deep tech" items.  I can do command prompts and very, VERY lightly touched base on one item in the registry ............ so ...... any advice given might have to be explained with my limited knowledge in mind.  I have never been into bios.

One command prompt  as administrator,was: ipconfig/flushdns then enter.   Another one:  netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt  then Enter, Plus Restart.   Now that one works, BUT, just a plain restart will work without that command prompt. :scratchhead:

I thank you in advance

Indy Bob   (benchrest76)

Edited by benchrest76, 21 July 2017 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

Are you familiar and did you check msconfig?:)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Perform a clean boot. There may be a conflicting service or startup item. If the computer boots normally then enable a few startup items/services and reboot until you get the slowdown. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 benchrest76

benchrest76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

Well I am back.

Yes I am familiar with msconfig. 

I am having problems diagnosing because I cannot understand why enabling all will not show running on many of the Microsoft items.

I would think they all, or most all should be running.

I select enable all ........ restart ...... then all check marks are there BUT it still shows more than 3 to maybe 7 or 8 MS items stopped.

I was going to "check" hide all MS items....... and then do process of elimination with finding a culprit,   OR would it be one of the "stopped" MS items.   

I have a couple screen shots 

I am totally lost.

bob

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:16 PM

You need to check the box next to Hide all MS services. Those need to be running. See the Clean Boot link I posted. Also, follow Luis's advice and provide the Minitoolbox and Speccy reports.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Don't worry about the Microsoft services. They are usually not the problem. If I am not mistaken, the reason some of them are un-checked by default is quite simply because you don't need them. For example, the printing service may be unchecked because the user has never connected a printer to the computer, therefore Windows 7 doesn't need to run the printing service at startup. Get it? :) If I were you, in msconfig, in Services, I'd check Hide all Microsoft services and then I'd un-check all of the rest of the services. After that I'd restart and see if everything is fine now (It should be). If not, then in msconfig, in Startup, I'd also uncheck both Malwareybytes and McAfee.

Also, follow the instructions of Hamluis in post No.4. :)

#8 benchrest76

benchrest76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

Well Here I am again,

I received a couple personal messages and the one fella was willing to help me, .... but.... I just was not computer savvy enough to use his method.   I also tried a couple other things guys had mentioned,  (that I could handle   :rolleyes:  :unsure: )!!

I then went to "hamluis" suggestions, and WOW that mini-tool-kit I downloaded showed a BUNCH of errors.

I then was a little lost ... (so sorry), about the posting of the results.   The best I can do is attach some .jpg images from my Win Clipping Tool.

I may have to do this in another "Continued" posting of the pix, depending on what limit is on attachments.

(It looks like I can put all 6 images on this post)

I thank EVERYONE for their time and knowledge.  (I feel kind of "really lost" now with computers)...

Benchrest76 ......... bob 

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users