Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender won't update from Windows Update anymore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

To sum it up, it seems that i can't update Windows Defender from Windows Update anymore and must do it manually from the Windows Defender itself. Why is this? I want it so it could be updated from Windows Update

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

Are the Windows Updates set to update automatically?

If they are not this would explain why you have to download these manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Are the Windows Updates set to update automatically?

If they are not this would explain why you have to download these manually.

Yes, they are set to auto. I guess, as i didn't toggle the pause update option. And i didn't get any error messages either, it just said that my device is up to date despite there's a new WD update

By manual, i mean updating from "Protection Updates" on the Windows Defender Security Center. It updates from there. I'll notify if updates somehow or suddenly doesn't work from there too

Edited by Zooasaurus, 21 July 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#4 cucbeo

cucbeo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

Go to Security and Maintenance, Look in Security and see what program is listed under Virus Protection

In the search box enter security and maintenance then select Security and Maintenance

`~`

Verify that you have removed all other real-time anti-malware products that were ever installed on your PC, including free/trial product that were installed when the PC was purchased (Norton (Symantec), McAfee, AVG,

#5 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:48 AM

Go to Security and Maintenance, Look in Security and see what program is listed under Virus Protection

In the search box enter security and maintenance then select Security and Maintenance

`~`

Verify that you have removed all other real-time anti-malware products that were ever installed on your PC, including free/trial product that were installed when the PC was purchased (Norton (Symantec), McAfee, AVG,

Only Windows Defender

#6 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

Okay, it seems that it won't update to certain version i guess? Windows Update now (probably) updated my WD definition to 1.249.82.0 but not to 1.249.86.0 which is the latest version.  might recheck it again when a new definition comes up

Edited by Zooasaurus, 21 July 2017 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users