Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc freezes with screeching sound

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hi everybody,

When playing games the pc will freeze with a screeching sound coming from the speakers and I have to do a hard-reset; I first thought it was restricted to a game I was playing, but then it happened with a different game and now I know it's pc related. Any one willing to help me?

My OS is Windows 7, 64 bit, Home Edition and my processor is an i7 2600K

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any issues happening around the time of the freezes?

Have you checked to see how much RAM is being used up during play?

Have you run a check on the HDD to verify there are no bad blocks?

What else do you have running besides the game you are playing?

Basically with freezing and having to do hard-boots, trial and error is what you got to do. Take notes and find patterns.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

also check your fans, make sure they are all spinning.

#4 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any issues happening around the time of the freezes?

Have you checked to see how much RAM is being used up during play?

Have you run a check on the HDD to verify there are no bad blocks?

What else do you have running besides the game you are playing?

Basically with freezing and having to do hard-boots, trial and error is what you got to do. Take notes and find patterns.

Thanks for being so swift on replying.

Answering your questions:

I've checked the event viewer the same way a donkey would look at a palace, the flood of information is immense and even by scrolling at the time of the incident there's like, 1 event every 2 minutes...

RAM ought to be okay as I've played these games before, with actual LESS RAM, and they were ok, so, it's unlikely that a game would complain that it was getting more RAM ( I bought a new stick)

I have indeed, just finished half an hour ago, a time consuming process as I'm sure you're pretty aware of, the report in the end was: everything's fine.

Besides the game? my anti-virus.

I'll confess that even though the report of the HDD integrity was fine, I do hear funny "clacking" sounds, NOW AND THEN, when booting the pc...

I hope these have answered your questions, if not please tell me what to do.

#5 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

also check your fans, make sure they are all spinning.

They APPEAR to be spinning...

#6 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

What other steps have you performed to try and resolve the issue?

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#7 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

I've looked for updates for the audio and there was none, I've looked for updates for the GPU, everything's fine there too and I've contacted you :thumbup2: ...

And just for the record, it just happened again playing, yet, a different game; it's spreading.

#8 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

It is said that one image is worth a thousand words and the same could be said about sounds, I wanted to upload a clip with the screeching sound but this site won't allow me to... :nono:
Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

I just did two prime95 tests:

Small FFT test rsults:  Torture test completed 4 tests in 17 minutes  0 Errors  0 Warnings

Blend Test:  This is when it gets tricky; I did, or better said I tried to do, 2 tests one with the OS on and another on safe mode and both crashed the pc. I was reading that the FFT test tests the CPU while the latter tests RAM and so I did another test to see whether my RAM is fine and the test found nothing.
I was googling and read something about "memory settings" and IMC settings" could these two pertain to my problem? and if so what are "memory settings" and "IMC settings" and how to change them to good values?
Hope these infos help anyone willing to lay a hand.

Is anyone willing to help me?!

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 22 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

I'm not a pro, but if I were you, I'd delete all the unnecessary programs and files that I don't need any longer and just clean my PC's software in general. Then, I'd install and run Malwarebytes. Then, I'd uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, an antivirus scan by your choice. I'd suggest Avast. You seem to have already done that, which is good. Then, I'd delete Avast. Then, I'd download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, I'd uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, I'd go to My Computer. Then, I'd go to C: drive. Then, I'd go to Windows folder. Then, I'd go to Prefetch folder. Then, I'd delete everything in that folder. Then, I'd clear my Recycle Bin. Then, I'd download, install and run CCleaner. Then, I'd uninstall CCleaner. Afterwards, I'd restart my computer. Then, I'd click on the Start Menu and open Run. Then, I'd type in Msconfig and press Enter. Then, I'd click on Services. Then, I'd tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, I'd click on Disable all. Then, I'd click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, I'd click on disable all. Then, I'd click on Apply. After that, I'd restart my computer and if the problem persists, I'd be ~75% sure it's due to overheating. Then, I would open up my computer's case and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years. Then, I'd check if all the parts and connections in my computer are properly put in place. Then, I'd switch the place of the RAM sticks that you have. Then, I'd start the computer. Then, I'd restart the computer. Then, if the problem persists, I'd give up and commit suicide. Then, I'd be dead. :lmao: Seriously, I don't know any more than that, sorry if the problem keeps persisting. BTW, in Msconfig you can keep some of the ticks in the boxes for the programs that you wish to start up when you boot your computer, such as your anti-virus programs, for example.

Good luck! :)

P.S. Malwarebytes, Avast, AdwCleaner and CCleaner can be used directly after installation without other necessary tweaking of any sorts. :thumbup2:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 July 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#10 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

It is now my belief that I started this query the wrong way and thus I'm terminating it and going to restart it using a different way in; thanks for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2017 - 10:27 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:00 AM

If nothing helped, you could do a clean re-install of your Windows 7. If the problem keeps persisting afterwards, it's with 99% certainty a hardware related problem in one of the parts - I'd be especially wary of the new RAM stick that you've bought. :)

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#12 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Hi everyone,

I reset my BIOS to default values and since then I've been getting some freezes with screeching noises coming out of the louspeakers when playing games and only a hard reset will "solve" the problem.

This is what I've done:

- checked the integrity of the Hard Disk and it was ok (very time consuming...)

- verified the temperatures both of CPU and GPU and they are ok

- verified the integrity of my RAM and everything is Ok

- verified the integrity of my CPU (with an Intel tool which name I've forgotten) and it was ok.

- The PSU is not even one year old so it cannot be that, as matter of fact the same applies to the GPU and to the DVD drive :thumbup2:

- I did two prime95 tests and this is when it gets interesting: the first was a "Small FFT Test" and the second was a "Blend Test"; the results of the former was: torture test completed 4 tests in 17 minutes with 0 errors and 0 warnings and the latter was, well it never happened as the pc crashed once and when I did the test in safe mode, it crashed again.

I was reading that the FFT test tests the CPU while the Blend test tests the RAM, but I already tested the RAM and it was (is) ok, I don't get it...

Someone suggested (in a post to someone else) that a Blend fail test indicated either a Memory settings fail or a IMC settings fail, or both. What does these mean? can these "things" pertain to my screechng sound?

PLEASE help me.

Here is my system:

Betriebssystemname Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Zusätzliche Betriebssystembeschreibung  Nicht verfügbar
Betriebssystemhersteller Microsoft Corporation
Systemname FRANCISCO-PC
Systemhersteller Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Systemmodell P67A-UD3-B3
Systemtyp x64-basierter PC
Prozessor Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 MHz, 4 Kern(e), 8 logische® Prozessor(en)
BIOS-Version/-Datum Award Software International, Inc. F2, 22.02.2011
SMBIOS-Version 2.4
Windows-Verzeichnis C:\Windows
Systemverzeichnis C:\Windows\system32
Startgerät \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Gebietsschema Deutschland
Hardwareabstraktionsebene Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Benutzername Francisco-PC\Francisco
Zeitzone Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit
Installierter physikalischer Speicher (RAM) 16,0 GB
Gesamter realer Speicher 16,0 GB
Verfügbarer realer Speicher 13,2 GB
Gesamter virtueller Speicher 32,0 GB
Verfügbarer virtueller Speicher 29,0 GB
Größe der Auslagerungsdatei 16,0 GB
Auslagerungsdatei C:\pagefile.sys

Here is my Audio:

Name NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hersteller NVIDIA
Status OK
PNP-Gerätekennung HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0072&SUBSYS_14623205&REV_1001\5&38E41065&0&0001
Treiber c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda64v.sys (1.3.34.26, 212,93 KB (218.040 Bytes), 17.04.2017 17:45)

Name Realtek High Definition Audio
Hersteller Realtek
Status OK
PNP-Gerätekennung HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0889&SUBSYS_1458A022&REV_1000\4&3828EB94&0&0201
Treiber c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhd64.sys (6.0.1.6873, 3,22 MB (3.379.272 Bytes), 05.09.2013 20:15)

Name NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Hersteller NVIDIA
Status OK
PNP-Gerätekennung ROOT\UNNAMED_DEVICE\0000
Treiber c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvvad64v.sys (3.60.2.0, 47,12 KB (48.248 Bytes), 07.06.2017 23:28)

Here is my Graphic Card:

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
PNP-Gerätekennung PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_32051462&REV_A1\4&2D68EC9A&0&0008
Adaptertyp GeForce GTX 960, NVIDIA-kompatibel
Adapterbeschreibung NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Adapter-RAM (1.048.576) Bytes
Installierte Treiber nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Treiberversion 22.21.13.8233
INF-Datei oem79.inf (Abschnitt Section024)
Farbebenen Nicht verfügbar
Farbtabelleneinträge 4294967296
Auflösung 1680 x 1050 x 60 Hz
Bits/Pixel 32
Speicheradresse 0xF9000000-0xF9FFFFFF
Speicheradresse 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
Speicheradresse 0xEE000000-0xEFFFFFFF
E/A-Port 0x0000EF00-0x0000EF7F
IRQ-Kanal IRQ 16
E/A-Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
E/A-Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Speicheradresse 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Treiber c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (22.21.13.8233, 13,61 MB (14.271.608 Bytes), 07.06.2017 23:38)

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#13 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

A re-install would wipe off everything without the certainty that it will solve the problem - sorry to much a high price!

The hardware, as I've mentioned above, were all tested and passed with flying colours; unsurprisingly, as most of them are less than one year old: the DVD drive is three weeks old, the graphic-card is like 10, 11 months old, the heatsink is three weeks old (bought it and installed it together with the DVD drive) even the PSU is less than one year old and the ram sticks are relatively new.

The only suspicious item, as far as I see, would be the Hard-Disk but that too was tested and the CPU was tested, and all their temperatures are fine, boy this is driving me insane, but I'll tell you this, I believe that the elephant in the room was the fact that I reset the BIOS but no one is advising me on that... I believ that when I reset the BIOS it must have the the volts of something, sorry I'm not an expert, and now I'm unable to figure it out.

As I said in my previous post, I believe that I started this post by "entering through the wrong door" and so I've started it, again, with a fresh approach and hopefully it will catch the attention of some BIOS expert.

Mod Edit:  That topic is merged into this topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

I see. Good that you have posted a new topic specifically for BIOS.

Is your BIOS up to date? If not, update it (I don't quite know how this is done, so, sorry, I can't help with you with that, my friend). Also, you can try, if it's not much of a problem to you, to reset the BIOS once again. Then, it wouldn't hurt to switch the places of the RAM sticks and restart you computer. The BIOS should automatically detect and configure the voltages, etc. when it comes to the RAM. It ought to configure these measurements for the other parts as well. If the problem persists after all that, I'm going to place my money that the culprit is the hard-drive. At this point I suggest also opening up another new topic in the Internal Hardware sub-forum, solely dedicated to the state of your HDD. In this topic ask if there is anything wrong with your hard disk and provide your Speccy specs. Do this by downloading Speccy. Then, unzip it. Then, open up Speccy64. Then, click of File. Then, click on Publish Snapshot. Then, click on Yes. Then, click on Copy to Clipboard. Then, post it in your topic. Afterwards, your numbers will be viewed by the experts and you will know with concrete certainty whether you should be worried about the HDD at all or not. I'm pretty sure, now that you have provided further explanations of your problem, that it is either a BIOS, a RAM or an HDD issue.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 23 July 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#15 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Your suspicion of the HDD was the first one I had but then I did all these tests, and those tests exist for something right? besides that I just did your Speccy thingie and you want to have a peep?

go ahead: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/V2YYzYnlzSFJphyLRiYvJve

Now if you go to the HDD tab you'll see that the reports are ok; as a matter of fact, ALL reports are ok, so now do you see what I mean?

My BIOS is definitely not updated, but I was reading that one should ONLY update the BIOS if nothing else works as it may destabilise the system, and my dear friend the last thing I need now is a destabilised system, it's driving me nuts as it is already...

I did those things you suggested in your first post, and then I tried to play and, alas, it still froze with that ghastly sound pouring out of the speakers.

Just for the record: I went to the manufacturer of my BIOS (Award system) and they offer a download which screens your system, offers an update and ASKS money for it!! for course my question was, am I in the right place, the official site? and the answer was "yes"; needless to say I was speechless as I perceived their offer as an affront.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users