Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terminal Linux distro?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

Hey,

Back in the Windows XP days I used to have my PC set up as close as possible to a terminal to the Internet. I had no icons on my desktop (had disabled them from the desktop's Properties), no Recycle Bin (had disabled it from the registry), no wallpaper, no Start Menu/Task Bar (had chosen the option for it to remain hidden until a mouse cursor hovers over it) and had put Firefox.exe in the Startup folder, and prioritized it via msconfig, so that once the computer is powered on, it takes no more than 20 seconds and no extra clicking before I am presented with my Firefox's Google Search home page with a blinking text cursor line, asking me "Where to next?". It was as close as you could tweak Windows XP to a terminal to the Internet as you could get.

I am just wondering, is there, and if so, which, Linux distribution resembles a Terminal to the Internet like this right out of the box with no further configuration? I don't need a desktop and other such storing capabilities. Just a plain Terminal that is directly and solely used to log on the Internet and do all your work there via the cloud or other services. The ultimate browsing machine. Have you guys heard of such?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 21 July 2017 - 07:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

This is a live CD distribution. You would not install it to a hard drive. 

http://justbrowsing.info/

#3 SkyLinx

SkyLinx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:27 AM

What about Chromium OS or webconverger?

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

What application would you use to browse the internet? Terminal based internet browsers do exist, but are not as easy to use as internet browsers that have a graphical user interface. Here is one example:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573200/links-browser-browse-the-internet-from-the-command-line/

You can access a terminal interface (without the GUI) in most Linux distros, by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F2, up to Ctrl+Alt+F6. To return to the GUI, press Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Possibly the easiest way to install a desktop edition of Linux without a GUI, is to install Debian using the netinstall method, and leave the checkboxes for desktops unchecked.

EDIT: Without a GUI, you will not be able to use GUI-based applications such as Firefox. It sounds like you may be looking for a distro that comes with just a window manager, as opposed to a desktop.

What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager?

If so, I suggest antiX.

Edited by Al1000, 21 July 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

This is a live CD distribution. You would not install it to a hard drive. 

http://justbrowsing.info/

http://justbrowsingcd.tumblr.com/post/49050201846/inspiration-for-justbrowsing

Thanks! This seems to be what I was talking about. :)

It would be nice if someone made it even more streamlined to the brink of simplicity, both for PC and smartphones. Also, it would be cool, I suppose, if the smartphone device with that OS had 2 screens, much like the upcoming Meizu Pro 7. Once you power on the smartphone, the main screen goes directly to Google Search (or whatever other home page one wishes to have), as I explained it in my previous post, and has no other bloatware whatsoever in order to provide the fastest, smoothest, simplest possible Internet browsing experience. Once you turn the smartphone around, you are presented with the smaller ~2-inch display for your basic phoning capabilities + contact numbers book. Since the microphone and the speakers are on the back and the bottom, the front display could be made completely bezel-less in order to complement the simplistic nature of the device as a whole. Whatever they choose to call it, it ought to have just a 1-word name, so as not to strain the minds of its users like Samsung kinda does with their Samsung. Galaxy. S. Eight. Plus.. I got out of breath until I pronounce its full name. :lmao:

Just my little vision of the future for such devices and the market for people who value The KISS principle. :)

What about Chromium OS or webconverger?

Chromium OS seems too much. Its basically a full-on operating system with a task bar and everything. Webconverger is good, but it is shareware - I was hoping for something free. Still, Webconverger looks good! :thumbup2:

What application would you use to browse the internet? Terminal based internet browsers do exist, but are not as easy to use as internet browsers that have a graphical user interface. Here is one example:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573200/links-browser-browse-the-internet-from-the-command-line/
|
Without a GUI, you will not be able to use GUI-based applications such as Firefox. It sounds like you may be looking for a distro that comes with just a window manager, as opposed to a desktop.

What is the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager?

If so, I suggest antiX.

I was thinking for a browser either Chrome or a custom-made less feature-rich one. I wasn't talking about a terminal-based browser, such as Lynx, sorry for the confusion, my bad.

Yes, I was looking for an OS that comes with just a window manager, not a desktop environment (even if the line between the two is somewhat blurry).

AntiX, much like Chromium OS seems to be too much. :)

#6 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Possibly the easiest way to install a desktop edition of Linux without a GUI, is to install Debian using the netinstall method, and leave the checkboxes for desktops unchecked.

EDIT: Without a GUI, you will not be able to use GUI-based applications such as Firefox. It sounds like you may be looking for a distro that comes with just a window manager, as opposed to a desktop.

That's what I'd do as well. Once you have a Debian cli (command line) only up and running, then its just a matter of adding in xorg and perhaps jwm for the window manager and maybe firefox-esr

apt-get update
apt-get install xorg jwm firefox-esr

In ~/.jwmrc include a tag such as
<StartupCommand>firefox-esr</StartupCommand>

(see here)

You might also want to install something like slim

apt-get install slim

and edit its /etc/slim.conf file to uncomment and set the default_user xxx and auto_login yes values ... so that on boot it automatically logs in as that user (and jwm starts firefox-esr).

jwm is fast and light and there's probably a way to hide its panel.

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system sshfs mounts my android phone (SSHelper app installed on phone).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users