Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop messed up after every win 10 update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sinine

sinine

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:18 AM

Omg, I'm going insane, I really need help!

My laptop (MSI GL62) gets really messed up after every win 10 update or after every major update.

I don't keep an eye on the updates or what is updated or anything so i don't know exactly what about the updates triggers this.

I only bought my laptop in May and I'm already having problems with it. Maybe there's something in the settings I haven't checked about the updates and that's why it's affecting my laptop this much.

Last time I had to reinstall my sound drivers cause the update absolutely messed up my sound.

This time my internet stick isn't working. It's definitely cause of the update. I haven't tried reinstalling that cause I've been using wifi.

Then my internet browser, Mozilla firefox, is constantly crashing after the update. I reinstalled that but it keeps doing it anyway. And no, I don't wanna change browsers everytime my OS decides to start crashing one of them. I like mozilla and wanna keep using it but it's pretty impossible right now.

Oh and the updates change the language on my laptop aswell.

Is there anywhere in the settings that I have to check for something? How can I get my mozilla to work normally again? How can I make sure the laptop doesn't get messed up next time when it updates?

And no, I'm 100% sure it's not cause of some virus or something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Were I you, I would strongly consider backing up all of my user data, running Belarc Advisor (or something similar) to obtain a solid inventory of the programs that are installed on the machine [as we all tend to forget something], download a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page  and create bootable media, then reinstall Windows 10 entirely from scratch.

If you don't want to go that route straight out of the shoot then you could consider getting the info from Belarc and then doing a Windows 10 Reset using the "keep my files" option via Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery pane.  Remember that "keep my files" does just that:  keeps your data files.  Any application programs or Windows Store Apps you've installed that don't come with Windows 10 will be removed.

And if you don't even want to go that route you could try:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Normally I'd suggest doing the things I've suggested in exactly the reverse order that's listed here, and that's perfectly fine if you've got the time and want to put in what may very well be wasted effort.   The number of things you describe as being wrong suggest to me that reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch or else doing a Reset and, if that doesn't cure things, reinstalling from scratch, may be your best bet.  It doesn't take much time to do the SFC and DISM runs, so it won't hurt if you do want to try that first.

There are just too many things going on here for me to feel comfortable with a "let's try to figure out the root causes" approach.  It could take forever.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 sinine

sinine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

Okay, it got fixed somehow for some reason. But thanks :)

I reinstalled the updates and it was fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users