Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers would not load pages, Chrome vanished, modem now not sending or online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 blooming18

blooming18

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

Hello. I've had major problems the past few days and I need help (hopefully before having to contact my ISP). Apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum, and I'm not very computer-savvy so you may have to explain simple things.

I have an HP Pavilion with Windows 8.1 and a Motorola cable modem (had since maybe 2009). Everything was working fine earlier this week, but I woke up and my browsers would not load pages. It said I had an Internet connection, all modem lights on, but Chrome and Internet Explorer would not load any pages. I HAD unplugged the modem the night before to move around furniture, but I also had automatic Windows updates around the same time.

I tried suggestions from online such as a Malwarebytes scan, unplugging, a DNS flush, removing McAfee, and a system restore. The restore did not fix the problem, and afterwards I could not even open Chrome. It would not let me uninstall or reinstall. Then sometime later, Chrome completely vanished, icons and folder.

I hooked up the modem to an older eMachines and it worked fine; I was able to get on the Internet. However, hours later I could not get on. The modem stopped sending and being online. Only the Power light comes on solid green and the Receive light blinks green and the PC Activity Amber. Send and Online lights do not come on anymore. I hooked up the coaxial cable to a TV and it worked for that and I think the ethernet cable is okay too.

Do you know the problem and how to fix it? Does it sound like a virus or bad modem or something on my ISP's end? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

First, if you restore to another point and does not work then you should restore to the point you did BEFORE restoring to another point... Let me guess, you didn't do it because Malware Bytes geniuses didn't tell you. Now your system is screwed.

Reinstall the OS.

If the problems persist after reinstalling try my answer here.

#3 blooming18

blooming18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

Do you mean undoing the restore?  Or just doing another restore to a point before I performed the first one? 

I think it only gave me two options for the restore and I chose the earliest.  I performed it on the 19th and it took me back to the 11th. 

Do you know what the problem is and how does an OS reinstall fix it?

#4 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

It doesn't matter. Your OS is screwed by the restoration point. A new installation of the system is needed.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

You have two sets of problems here.

One with the computer, the HP, and that sounds like an OS problem probably due to an interrupted update. For this, you need to go and start a topic in the Win 8/8.1 section of BC where those who know their way around Win 8.1 will help.

The other is with your internet connection since after you changed computers yur internet worked for a while and then went down again. It is unlikely that the browsers and LAN/WAN systems on two computers would go down at the same time.

Because at the moment these two problems are hopelessly mixed up in this thread I am going to close it and request that, as well as the new topic in 8/8.1 you start another topic in the Networking section of BC. Describe your problem and include - if you know them - makes and models for your router/modem and who your ISP is as well as the makes, models and OS on your two computers.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users