Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2016 - I think my pst file is too big - how to fix?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

I use tasks and calander in my outlook 2016 alot and I also connect my work email and personal gmail on an imap setup.  I cannot search for anything anymore.  I cant search contacts, tasks or email.  I get an error message that states, " something went wrong and your search couldnt be completed".  I called microsoft and they went on my computer and now I have literly 10 backup files on my desktop.  I think they created a bunch of pst files.  I think that with so many of these files, they are screwing up my searches.  I was thinking that maybe I can create new files and delete the old but have no idea what to do or if this is a good idea.   Any advice you can give me on what to do would be greatly appreciated.  Its been like this for months and costing me extra work hours weekly.  I look forward to your reply.  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Are you using Office 365?

Here is an article i found.  Looks like this could be related to a Microsoft Office Update from Windows Update. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b8e24046-0bb1-4624-8ef7-6c268f2a6b13/something-went-wrong-and-your-search-couldnt-be-completed?forum=outlook

Hope this helps.  Also, before you do anything, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

I did recieve the update but it didnt help with being able to search.  I cant just delete a pst file.  I need to create a new one to back my data up.  Im not using office 365.  I am using Outlook2016.  I have Office 2016.

#4 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

chugg,

Export your pst file and save it to a location you will remember.  Make sure you choose the entire profile and not just an inbox or calendar. Create a new email profile, setup your new pst file.  Change settings to let you choose what email profile Outlook will login to. Open Outlook and login to the new email profile. Import your old pst file. Test and see if you can search now. If not.  Try running scanpst.exe on your old pst file in the old email profile.

Also, check your services and see if Windows Search Service is running.  Should be set to "Manual" by trigger. If not turn it on to Manual or Automatic.  Saw this once where that service was turned off.

Hit the Windows key + R.  Enter in "Services.msc".  This will open the services window for you to check.

Edited by Iceriver19, 21 July 2017 - 09:35 AM.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

I will do this over the weekend and let you know how it goes Iceriver.  Thank you so much and have a heck of a weekend!

#6 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Sounds good.   Have a great weekend as well chugg. 

Also, i did a little reading.   According to another post you made, looks like Microsoft screwed up your email setup.  Might be thye better thing to do anyway by redoing your email setup.

– Elbert Hubbard

~IceRiver19~

#7 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

True Ice.  I think I am all messed up here.  I agree.  I need to re do everything.  I will follow your instructions.

#8 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

My one rule is, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!    As long as you have a good backup, then you are ok. 

– Elbert Hubbard

~IceRiver19~

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

Well I will have to google the steps to do all of this because I am not familiar with any of it,

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

This is just responding to the subject of your thread. Have you compacted the .pst file? It should be done on a regular basis (double click on the data file, compact)

Edited by Allan, 21 July 2017 - 04:10 PM.

#11 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

I did not do this Allan but Im not sure where to begin.  Microsoft tech support went on my computer and left a bunch of files on my desktop.  Im not sure which ones I can delete.  The files are as follows.  How do I know what I can delete and what I need to fix?  

Backup.bak

backup 2 pst file

calander pst file

backup pst file

backup 2 bak file

backup 1 pst file

backup 1 bak file

backup text doc

backup 1 text doc

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

You should be able to delete all of those.

#13 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

But where is the pst file that I am currently using to save my outlook info? I dont ant to delete that do I?

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

It's almost certainly in your Office or Outlook Folder. The easiest way to find out is open Data File Management in Outlook. It will show you the location of your pst and any other data files.

Either of these links should help:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1892e2aacc?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Open-and-close-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-381b776d-7511-45a0-953a-0935c79d24f2

Edited by Allan, 26 July 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#15 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:32 AM

I was able to find the pst files but when I double click the pst file it asks me what program I want to use to open it as oposed to double click on the data file, compact as you instructed previously.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users