Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to and what do I need to run apps on laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gkusjer

gkusjer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hello. I would like to know what programs I need to install on my laptop to run apps. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Apps (as in the kind you download from the Windows Store, iTunes, or Google Play store) require the proper operating system (Windows 8/8.1/10, OSX or iOS, or Android or one of its distros) in order to run apps.

I don't know of any other specific requirements.  Apps run under the ecosystem for which they were designed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

Apps run under the ecosystem for which they were designed.

Has there ever been created a software so versatile that it could run on Windows, Mac OS and Linux, without having a specific version created for each one? Is such a thing theoretically even possible?

Edited by Just_One_Question, 20 July 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

I know of no universal app, though one could definitely be written in languages that are not tied to a specific OS.  It would have to be interpreted rather than compiled so that it could be run under multiple operating systems.  The presentation would likely be quite different under the different platforms.

Since there are differences in the user interface and hooks into it under different OSes it's more common to see ports that are customized to the system under which they will be running.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

I see. Thank you!:)

#6 ericfoley77

ericfoley77

• Banned Spammer
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

What apps you are talking about? Is it desktop apps or mobile apps?

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:48 AM

What apps you are talking about? Is it desktop apps or mobile apps?

how to and what do I need to run apps on laptop?

The answer is very simple - you have to have a laptop and you have to download the apps you want to use. That's it.

Edited by zainmax, 24 July 2017 - 03:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users