Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Software + Internet Access

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Myke

Myke

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

Hey, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the AOL software, I am looking for a way I can access the internet without using AOL 9.0 Browser, as it lags out my computer and can take a while to connect. Possibly is there a way that my computer will connect to the internet automatically?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

Are you on dial-up or high-speed? Not sure it matters anyway, but once you connect to the internet with AO-Hell, just minimize it and click on IE and it'll go to whatever home page is set up.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

Once you connect to AOL, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from using another browser (Firefox, for example) to navigate the internet.You can always minimise the AOL browser (most likely a version of IE that AOL has gunked up), and use something else.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:27 AM

Are you still using AOL as your isp?
If not, you do not need the AOL software to connect at all.

#5 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:30 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

"Are you on dial-up or high-speed? Not sure it matters anyway, but once you connect to the internet with AO-Hell, just minimize it and click on IE and it'll go to whatever home page is set up." - Yeah I know but the problem is that when in a hurry the aol software can take ages to start up so I'm looking for a faster way.

" Once you connect to AOL, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from using another browser (Firefox, for example) to navigate the internet.You can always minimise the AOL browser (most likely a version of IE that AOL has gunked up), and use something else." ^^

" Are you still using AOL as your isp?
If not, you do not need the AOL software to connect at all." - Yes I am using AOL

I am just looking for another way to connect to aol, possibly like using the network connections like other broadband companies?

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

I am just looking for another way to connect to aol, possibly like using the network connections like other broadband companies?

That's the problem. AOL isn't like other broadband companies.

Seriously though, AOL is a real struggle to use. Personally, I hated it when I had it. and it's not just AOL's browser that is slow. Everything about it is slow. I'm surprised your ocmputer itself isn't slow. Ever notice how much AOL junk is running on your computer at any given time?

#7 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

Seriously though, AOL is a real struggle to use. Personally, I hated it when I had it. and it's not just AOL's browser that is slow. Everything about it is slow. I'm surprised your ocmputer itself isn't slow. Ever notice how much AOL junk is running on your computer at any given time?

Hahah I know, they have all those annoying port checkers and virus scanners all running as I'm using the internet. But it's the only ISP in my area with unlimited downloads.

#8 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:49 AM

Hahah I know, they have all those annoying port checkers and virus scanners all running as I'm using the internet. But it's the only ISP in my area with unlimited downloads.

Using it optionally was bad enough. I couldn't imagine being stuck with no other options. :thumbsup:

#9 Myke

Myke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:03 AM

Yes, AOL is deffinantly the most hated of all ISP's.

For anyone else following this forum I have solved my problem (thanks all that tried to help)

This is what I used to get around that annoying aol browser software-

Posted Image

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for posting your solution, since it may help others with the same problem. Hopefully, you can find another ISP, even a local one, so you can dump AOL, which is not only over-priced but over-gunked.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users