Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access network files from one computer, others can access

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcpppp

pcpppp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:29 AM

So the computer we are trying to access actually can be accessed by other computers. It used to be accessible on this one, but now its not. When I click on the computer, it asks the user ID and password, but when I enter those, it says they are wrong. They are correct though and I even made a new admin account and tried logging in with those credentials and it says they are wrong.

I've tried restarting both computers, I tried pinging the computer with the files on it (does successfully), turned the antivirus and firewall off, etc... Both computers are set to a private network, etc... Any suggestions?

I believe the computer we are trying to access is running Windows 7 (might be 10 though, can't remember), and the computer that is trying to connect is running Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:13 AM

"I even made a new admin"

Did you do this on the computer you are trying to access remotely?

As in you were at this computer and you were able to successfully logon as admin and you then made a new admin equal account?

#3 pcpppp

pcpppp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Yes, on the one I am trying to access the files on. I didn't change which account I was logged into, but I made a new admin account and tried using those credentials when trying to access the files

"I even made a new admin"

Did you do this on the computer you are trying to access remotely?

As in you were at this computer and you were able to successfully logon as admin and you then made a new admin equal account?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

When you log in are you logging in with ComputerName\Admin where Computer Name is the name of the computer with the files and Admin is the name of the Administrator account on that machine?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

check the firewall settings on this computer that it allows file and print sharing

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

it asks the user ID and password, but when I enter those, it says they are wrong.

Is this coming up like in a pink box when you try to access this computer? It sounds like maybe the computer has been blocked in the router.

Edited by HyperHenry, 24 July 2017 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users