Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BSOD Bad_Pool_Caller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Revellion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:59 AM

Got one of these BSODs a day or two after purchasing a new-open-box computer from an eBay seller  The computer looked completely unused, and is a Toshiba C50-C1500 with an i3-5005u.  Nothing fancy, but all I need. I'm running Windows 7 professional, which the seller already had loaded on the computer.  All I had to do was change the username to one I liked, and I was good to go.

In any case, I was able to shut down and restart...and was good to go for about a week and a half.  Then I got my second Bad_Pool-Caller BSOD (tonight).

I was able to shut down and restart OK, but this time I became interested in making sure it doesn't happen a 3rd time.

I'm not a computer genius, but tried many things to detect a problem:

sfc/scannow came back just fine

Ran a hard disk check and memory check from the Bios.  Everything OK.

Ran a full Microsoft security Essentials scan, a full Malware Bytes scan, and an AdwCleaner scan.  Everything came back clean.

Ran a Memtest86+ from a USB for about 40 minutes, in order to check the RAM (1-1/2 passes).  No errors.

Finally, I ran a WhoCrashed (Home Edition) scan, in order to read the dump files from tonight's BSOD.

WhoCrashed came back with the following:

Attached File  WC1.PNG   373.28KB   0 downloadsAttached File  WC2.PNG   231.08KB   0 downloads

I checked my WIFI driver, and it was Intel Wireless Wifi Link Driver 17.16.04, which is the latest update Toshiba has on their site (from 2016).

I then went to Intel's site, and was able to download version, which came out in May of this year.  I installed this driver, and everything is fine for now.

So, what do you think?  Should this solve the problem, or are there further steps I should take.  I'm all ears if anyone thinks I should take this further.

Thank You!

Edited by Revellion, 20 July 2017 - 02:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Revellion

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:12 AM

Further, there was one other thing that happened to the computer last week.  The fan went into overdrive, even though the computer was not really hot.  After 5 minutes of fan turbo speed, the computer shut down on its own.  I restarted the computer right away, and everything was fine.  Hasn't happened since.

The only other thing I really know to do is update the BIOS, which I have avoided doing thus far.  I'm using BIOS 6.20, but there is a 6.40 and 6.50 available if I feel like Flashing the BIOS.  Not sure that would help with the fan...but if the fan bugs out again, maybe I should Flash the BIOS?

Edited by Revellion, 20 July 2017 - 02:15 AM.

#3 Revellion

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

I've decided to take things a step further. 

I'm re-setting this Tecra computer to factory default state, with basic drivers only.  I've owned a couple of satellites, and only had the option to reset it with all factory bloatware included.  This Tecra, on the other hand, gives me 4 choices:  Wipe the drive clean, Factory reset with Basic Drivers only, Factory reset with Toshiba Value Added Package, Factory reset with all bloatware.

When I got it from the ebay seller, it was already set up with all of the bloatware, and I spent much time uninstalling all the bloat, which sped up the computer immensely.

With the reset I am doing now, I'll have a clean slate with no bloatware remnants in the registry due to uninstalling.  It should be as fast as ever.

I'll update the Wifi Driver again, of course....but will likely leave the BIOS alone unless someone here really convinces me it should be done. :)

#4 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:57 AM

Although the computer may not feel hot, the fan revving up is a sign of excess heat (or a broken sensor) somewhere.
The system shutting down shortly thereafter is likely a sign of overheating also.

Use this free tool (and procedure) to log temps and see if there's any sign of overheating:

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.
This may/may not show overheating (there may not be a sensor on the part that's overheating).  But, if it does show overheating (just before the shutdown), then you'll know what it is.

Regretfully, I can no longer afford to spend time analyzing systems with Windows 7 and earlier OS's.

My suggestions for those who have problems with W7 and earlier are:

1)  Perform a "clean" install of Windows to see if that stops the problems:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean
This is different from a simple reinstall - it tries to only use Windows components.  Please read the steps at the link above.

2)  If that doesn't stop the problems, then first try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html 
If all of the hardware diagnostics pass, try this procedure (designed for desktops, not real easy for laptops):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Beyond those suggestions, if it's a hardware issue, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

If it's a software problem, then I'd suggest posting over in the Windows 7 forums:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/167/windows-7/

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users