Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SAMBA Share

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmb7438

jmb7438

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:38 AM

I'm attempting to set up a file server for someone and I'm not sure the best way to do it. What I'm working with is a Windows 10 Pro machine with some nice specs (16GB RAM, i5 processor). This server needs to be able to be accessed when on the same network and from a remote location. Also, both Windows and Mac machines need to be able to interact with it. I'm wondering what the best way is to use a Linux server on a Windows machine is. Would it work through a VM? The person who tasked me with setting this up also gave me a word document written by some IT guy he knew. I'm having trouble following what the IT guy was getting at exactly. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

Your statement is a little confusing.  Is the file server to be running on a Windows machine or is it a Linux/*nix type of machine?

Sounds like both Windows and Mac need to be able to mount it?

Why are you asking about a VM?

Does the remote location have VPN or equivalent access to the local network the file server is on?  You really don't want to simply expose the machine to the internet at large.

It almost sounds like you are trying to create a "cloud" or "google drive" type of thing.

All that said, setting up a system dedicated to being a file server is the best route.  Using your favorite internet search provide, look up Network Attached Storage, that is basically what you are trying to accomplish.  Look at some commercial systems to see what they offer (ixSystems is a good one).  You may discover that simply buying the right stuff is cheaper, quicker, more robust than rolling your own.

Windows remote mounts are typically SMB (Samba), be careful about recent exploits in V1 of the protocol, so start out with more recent versions.  NFS shares should work with Macs.  Remote location:  the best solution is to set up a VPN access from the remote location to the local network, then everything is "on the same network" and you have security of the VPN.

Above is my opinion, others may have different thoughts.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

Wanna see the document. It sounds like you are working for McDonalds to solve their problems without any knowledge on business nor cooking.

#4 jmb7438

jmb7438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

@mremski: Sorry for the poor explanation, let me try again. I already have a windows pc that was bought for the sole reason of being a file server. Despite it being a windows pc, I was thinking about running linux. This poses an obvious problem because I don't want to uninstall windows and install linux to the pc as that would be ridiculous. This is the reason I was asking about a VM. Would it better to ditch the linux idea all together? The reason I thought of linux is because of the mention of 'unetbootin' in the document given by the IT guy mentioned above. Thank you for your help so far! Does this better explain it?

@malwaredpc: Below is the document. I know, not much there.

Microsoft Partner

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-US/

Look up:

Unetbootin

Windows 10 pro

DYN DNS.org

Opendns.com

Assign a fixed IP Address. – Control panel/Network and sharing/Change Adapter settings/Ethernet/Properties/Internet Protocol 4/ Properties

Configure VPN on the router

Edited by jmb7438, 20 July 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#5 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 491 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:24 AM

Ok, that starts to clear up what you want.  There are probably packages available to set windows up as a file server, but I don't know what/how to do that.    You have to make sure the hardware you have is "good enough" for your anticipated load, which is why they make specialty systems to do the job.

Regardless, the way I would start would be:

Get better specs on what is needed, that will drive how much disk space, RAM (more is better, I'd max it out), ethernet connectivity.

Make sure the PC is 64bit, not 32bit (if it's recent it should be).  You really don't want to skimp on the hardware.

I'd go and get at least a pair of enterprise level disks (something like these https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-3-5-Inch-7200rpm-WD4002FFWX/dp/B01CL6R7QU?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01CL6R7QU)

Replace the existing Windows disk with the pair you just bought, then

download http://www.freenas.org/ and install it.

That is the easiest way to get something up and running that you can control and should cover the local network.

Remote access:

Assuming you don't want to make the system public on the Internet (bad idea unless you're Google), set up VPN access into the local network.  That sounds like what was planned based on the "document" you have.  VPN makes a remote system look like it's part of the local network so it would then be able to see the file server.

That's the way I would do if I wanted to roll my own.  If not, I'd go here https://www.ixsystems.com and figure out how much I needed and have them build it up.

All this is my opinion only others may have different notions. 

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#6 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Well, so you have a machine to deploy as a server. It has W10Pro. In the document is mentioned Win10 Pro. So my conclusion is that your customer or that IT guy wants W10 as the file server. So, you should use Samba.

It mentions DYN DNS and VPN. So his idea is to configure a VPN for remote access using DYN DNS.

Unetbotin is to create bootable USB to install OSs, it does not makes too much sense here. Yes, generally is to install Linux thru pen drives but what for?

That document sounds like a draft or summary on a chat they had, not more. There is not a single diagram nor specification on needs or even resources of the company listed.

How many computers will be using the file server? How many at the same time? Who is going to access that server from a VPN? Which document formats will be used? What OS and programs will be workers (clients) will be using? What it does not need to happened? What does it need to happend? What's the nkowledge level of the employees? Do they need any capacitation? etc.

I understand what mremski says on the server components but it seems that PC was bought to be the server. So no more money for a server.

Use cable for the connections to the server, not Wireless.

BTW, you my want to put a LVM if there would be short of storage on the future? And DO NOT forget to create a backup policy (and execute it) for that server.

Edited by malwaredpc, 21 July 2017 - 08:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users