Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A testimony proving the inefficiency of Comcast support

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 100cigarettes

100cigarettes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

If you have some time my experience right now is of one that'll make you cringe.

The problem that starts this novel: I get disconnected from wifi multiple times a day. Sometimes its only the wifi that drops for a few minutes, most of the time it is a total outage. When it's a total outage this is because the gateway reboots itself. At times when the network is very slow and only the wifi drops I cannot get to the routers login page. It never loads or times out. Usually the indicator lights on the gateway are blinking rapidly enough it's almost solid on both bands. 

What is it I do when this problem occurs? When it began I would look at the indicator lights and maybe I don't get there in time to see them blacked out, but they're usually blinking rapidly, almost a solid light. The other situation is waiting for the reboot to cycle. Sometimes it would complete the cycle and reboot again!

I can do nothing logged into the gateway thats worthwhile other than check the network status. I don't know how to read the logs so if anything interesting is there I am missing it. I check that the connected devices are of those who live here. I may sometimes power cycle the thing when I can't get the login page to load. I assume the issue is due to overloading. A lot of devices are in the home. So I ignore the issue and when this occurs I just wait it out. Till the first time I experienced this while I was the only one home. I turned off every device and not too long later this happened again. I've debunked overloading with too many devices the cause.

It's out of my control so I see if they have online support because like most computer nerds I'm anti-social. I explain my problem. The comcast support staff I'm talking to asks for my phone number. They tell me they want it because they're going to restart the router, and if I'm not automatically joined back into chat with them afterwards they have to have some way to contact me. After the reboot they tell me "I sent a signal to your router to force a reboot to install firmware updates, your issue should be solved. If you experience anymore problems please let us know!!"  Hours later the problem occurs again. 

A week or maybe two after this online chat I do it again when I'm so fed up with the problem. The guy asks for the address and account number. If I don't have the account number that's okay! Just the last 4 of the account holders social security number. I don't have that. It's still okay! I just let him know I just live here and are having issues I can't fix myself. The guy collects the account holders name and continues to remotely access the gateway. "Your network isn't setup correctly" I'm told. I knew that was a load of BS. No default passwords or SSID. So what's wrong? I said okay, we'll see what this does. The same day I have the problem again. 

Once I was done asking for them to fix the problem I figured the problem is from a faulty gateway. I actually call and ask for a replacement. The same model is sent and what do ya know, my issue creeps up again hours later. I let it go for a few days till I experienced this 3 times in the period of an hour. I call and am not so friendly. I demand the newer upgraded model. I get it and guess what! I still have issues. I debunked the gateway being faulty after using 2 models.

It's a period of maybe 3 weeks before I experience my problem. I thought something just fixed itself maybe a firmware update. Till I hear somebody in the room scream THE FREAKING WIFI ISNT WORKING DO YOU HAVE IT and I get upset. I call comcast after the second time it did this that day. I'm nice this time and explain that I did so much already and I know the problem is not the large amount of devices connected or the hardware. Somebody is sent out to check the junction box. I actually see them checking these boxes very frequently. It's okay I assume because they leave with no repairs done. They call me a day after this and suggest the coax cables may be old. I told them I would run new cable myself, don't send anybody out. The cables changed nothing. I call them again and the last suggestion is that the cables from the pole to the house are old. I dismiss this entirely because that would not cause the gateway to reboot itself or only reboot the wireless. I have given up and tried switching to Verizon but went back.

It's been months with this problem. It's just ignored now when it occurs. It once made me miss out on an opportunity while trading Bitcoin. So in current times I am curious about cyber security. I had a port scan done and found 7547 open. A google search tells me this Port is associated with application layer protocol for remote management of end-use devices. Further research pulls up articles upon articles about 7547 exploits found November of 2016. Frequent reboots and inability to load the web interface are symptoms of this infection.

The reason Comcast support is an absolute joke and will waste your time is because they show me how they have zero technical skills outside of the script they're told to follow. There is zero true investigative skills. Every time I contact them I have to call the shots or I'll just get a reboot from them, told to reset the gateway, or sent a replacement device. Never did any of them have any skills to think outside the box to think of what might be the problem. I just minutes ago chat with support and asked for the contact info for whatever they call the security department I asked if she could even look up the latest firmware version. She gave me steps on how to do it after getting my model number. The directions were wrong. She told me to google how to update firmware than said I could upgrade my gateway. Comcast automatically delivers updates and there is no update checker or things like that for the model I have.

I started calling when I had this problem just to see what they would do. It's really pathetic. You get stuck going in circles with them. Never was my problem escalated to somebody with better skills. It's as if hacking is non-existent to them. Now I know the blame may not be on them. They may not be getting troubleshoot guides for anything thats not a common issue. They should, be a little more knowledgeable enough. Maybe enough to assume its a problem because of someones malicious BS.

Edited by 100cigarettes, 20 July 2017 - 01:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:23 AM

This is exactly why I, most of the time, prefer face-to-face communication. You're just taken more seriously when you look a representative of the company in the eyes. Plus, both they and you know that you can make a huge scene if things don't turn out to go your way and thus force them to pander to your wishes. :lmao: But don't do that, it's a douche move.

I don't get how come I've heard so many people complain about Comcast online, yet, it's still a leader in its industry and is worth upwards of $150 billion?

I wish you good luck, my friend. If I were you, I'd go to Verizon or some other ISP. :)

53dbb8a8f741fa84051f552a7c938fe4--home-i

Edited by Just_One_Question, 20 July 2017 - 06:24 AM.

#3 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

I don't get how come I've heard so many people complain about Comcast online, yet, it's still a leader in its industry and is worth upwards of $150 billion?

It's partially the same phenomenon as with Microsoft. It's popular to bash the leader. Not everyone has a bad experience with Comcast. I've been with them 18 years with very few problems. My speed has always been a bit above what tier I'm on, almost zero downtime, I've only had to call them maybe 3 times and each time, my issue was taken care of. I've lived out in the country, in town, at the beach, etc all good experiences with Comcast. I realize that my experience is not everyone's experience. my 2 cents..... :) Edit: I'm not trying to lessen or take away from 100cigarettes experience above or say he/she is wrong. 

Edited by xrobwx, 23 July 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Yes, that is usually the case, xrobwx. I hope that OP got his problem fixed up.:)

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

No, the problem with Comcast is that they over subscribe for customers and their infrastructure can't handle it. You will constantly get network outages and they will tell you falsehoods and claim that nothing is wrong. That is why you need to go to www.downdetector.com and check to see if you have an outage in your area. 9 times out of 10 you will and when you call them up they will try and lie to you. They hate downdetector.com because now you can put them on the spot.  

http://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity/map/

Edited by arlattimor, 25 July 2017 - 12:09 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

They hate downdetector.com because now you can put them on the spot. 

And when you point out that information, and go to them, they be like...

you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

LOL :hysterical:   :clapping:

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,280 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

In my town the choice of ISPs is pretty much Comcast or Verizon if you're talking about wired (as in to the house) service.  There are wireless options but until or unless these become truly unlimited they're not an option.

I have clients who've bounced back and forth between the two even though Verizon does not provide FIOS here.

I have come to the conclusion, having lived elsewhere, that when it comes to cable or telecomm companies you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  The old line, "Sometimes, you just can't win," rings very true.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

My understanding, or rather guess, of why this is the case is that pretty much all those companies are half a century+ old and have all matured to the point of them being pretty indistinguishable from one another when it comes to the actual quality of the service provided. Only minor differences between those.:)

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,280 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

Personally, I think that the fact that in most markets one or two providers have a virtual monopoly or actual monopoly makes a huge difference.

There is no alternate cable service where I live - Comcast is it.   There is no alternative landline phone/DSL service where I live other than Verizon.  This is not unusual even in major markets, even if there are many providers in the area where any individual lives generally doesn't have access to all of them, or even most of them.  Some of this is the result of local governments but some is definitely not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I see. Not too sure why it is that way. Possibly setting up an ISP company requires a huge upfront investment, as compared to other business sectors, so this could be in part why there is low competition in this market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users