Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Upgrade Vista to Windows 7...can't download files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EPL5906

EPL5906

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

HI there,

Well, there's actually 2 problems...The "main" problem is that I'm using Vista Home Premium (SP2) and Chrome browser  (Version 49.0.2623.112 m)....In the last couple of days, Chrome cannot seem to connect to a website that I require for work... Owners of the "cloud" application suggested to me that Chrome needs to be @ most current release....but Vista no longer supports further upgrades....

Therefore, if I can upgrade Vista to Windows 7...then I can update Chrome.....

Problem #2 (this topics subject) is that I am having grave difficulties  Vista is now having all kinds of issues even loading pages....I can barely reach the Microsoft download site.....Tried to download  

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

and can barely get 200k of 8.3M file....It's failed several times....Forget about downloading W7. !!

For "most" sites, incl my online banking...I can load pages without a problem....However, even in "this" site....I "could not" press the forum link...just sat there....but when I opened in new tab....it loaded quite quickly.....?????  Very strange..

At the end of the day....I realize I need newer technology....but if I don't get back to work, sooner than later....I'm in a real catch-22 !!!     Somehow, need a freebee copy of Windows 7, (heard microsoft was doing that) and hopefully an updated Chrome browser will make most of these issues will go away    :bananas:   !!!! 

Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Sorry, there are no "free" copies of Windows 7. You can download the iso file but in order to use it you need a valid key. Vista keys do not upgrade to Windows 7 nor Windows 10. 

Is your work through the browser only? If that is the case, you could download a live version of a linux distro. The problem would be in the downloading as it's approx 1.5GB for a mainstream distro like Mint. For people moving from Windows Mint is a good choice. The version depending on how much RAM you have and the CPU.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

If your job requires Microsoft programs such as Office then Mint would not be a good choice and you would be better off finding a computer with Windows 7 or 10 that meets your budget. Look at refurbished units with a warranty for a better price.

As you know Vista is no longer supported with Security updates from Microsoft so I would not be doing any online banking with Vista.

#3 EPL5906

EPL5906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

Hi JohnC.

thx for reply....Hmmmm....thought MS was allowing free upgrades???   Actually, it would be in there best interest, because I have considered LINUX as a solution, but I think that must wait until the weekend....it would be very tedious with all backups, install, etc...and then I would have to verify that "other" work applications are compatible with linux......Given that all those ducks are in a row....I have 3G ram....

RE: "Work"...YES, work only through browser....it just won't "connect"... and I do like the idea of an old box with W7 + on it...that sounds like a quick fix.  Is it possible to just "buy" W7 CD's ....backdated versions??

Thanks for the idea's and link.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

You first need to run the upgrade assistant to see if Windows 7 can run on the computer. But yes, you can get cheap Windows 7 licenses online. When going with Ebay make sure you are dealing with a seller with at least a 99% rating and the ability to get a refund from Ebay should the license not work. Because the Windows 7 disks are not OEM you most likely will need to download some drivers from your OEM's support site.

How does the computer run when you tap F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking?

I would also advise to create a complete disk image to a USB external drive in order to fall back on the Vista OS should things not go right. Programs that can do this are Macrium Free and Aomei Backupper Standard. Both allow you to create a bootable CD or USB flash drive in order to restore the image.

#5 EPL5906

EPL5906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

As per 1st post....Could NOT download Windows 7 assistant  (starts, then dies after about 150k - at least a 1/2 dozen attempts)....but from what I've read...seems like I "should" be OK....I've attached .txt file of my system information....if you're familiar, maybe you can take a quick peek ???

Not that computer saavy....on a basic "home" network, and I am hard wired to the fiber based modem....have never worked in SAFE mode....except the rare occasion I might receive that option Attached File  System Information.txt   11KB   1 downloadsif computer crashes....power failure, etc.. Safe mode to me looks like the old "dos prompts"....I wouldn't even know how to get my other app's going....LOL

Thx again !    :thumbup2:

#6 EPL5906

EPL5906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

P.S.   that "attachment" wound up in the "middle of a sentence"....Sorry about that !!   I'm just learning to navigate !!!!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

Windows 7 should run fine on that computer. I noticed you have a TV capture card. Not sure linux would support that.

Safe Mode should give you a desktop just like normal mode only with a larger font as the graphic drive would be generic.

How does the computer run if you do a clean boot?

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

It's getting late for me so I will answer any questions tomorrow.

#8 EPL5906

EPL5906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

Epilogue:

Correct...no free Windows 7 upgrades....I think that's foolish on M/S's part...because they only motivate you to install Linux...or possible buy new Apple Equipment.....For cripe sakes...you manufacture the s/w...sell legacy copies....keep your customers in the game....!!  

That said...in discussion with a "refurb" desktop supplier...he suggested that running FIREFOX concurrently with CHROME  may have loading issues....I uninstalled FIREFOX...and would you believe it....Connected to my work App !!!   Short term...back in the game....longer term...looking for the latest and greatest.....

Thx to all who contributed !!!

:graduate:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

Nice, thanks for the update. I run both Firefox and Chrome concurrently without a problem. Something to keep in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users