Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White line across screen Linux Mint 17.2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Not sure where this topic goes.

I put it here because a thin white line runs across the top of the screen.

This is just after I installed 2 veracrypt volumes and VirtualBox virtual machine with Win 7 inside.

The computer is 2011 Vaio, 500 gb hdd with about 6 gb RAM.

I would attach a screenshot but I cannot see find any button here.

Moved from All other applications to Linux
NickAu

In light of new information, now moving from Linux to Internal Hardware
Al1000

Edited by Al1000, 23 October 2017 - 11:27 AM.
Mod edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

How to post a screenshot

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/#entry3386653

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

How to post a screenshot

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/#entry3386653

In this screenshot the white line is invisible but it is present on this screen. Screenshot_white_line2.png

I am thinking about deleting the nVidia driver and reinstalling the Nouveau driver.  This might be a graphics problem.

Edited by Achaemenid, 20 July 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

Next time you don't need to post it in the Quote.  Unfortunately I don't know how to help you.  No need to quote me on this one.

You may as well post your Specs, and this should tell us a little about your Drivers also.  Copy Paste the output of this command into the Terminal.  Then Copy Paste it into your next Post, and preferably not in the Quote.  Even better would be to Paste it into the "Code" Box, which is in the Toolbar and looks like this without the quotes "< >"

inxi -Fz

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Iceriver19

Iceriver19

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

Maybe i missed it, but i do not see a little white line in your screenshot.  Connect an external monitor.  See if the white line follows.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

– Elbert Hubbard

______________________________________________________________________________________

~IceRiver19~

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Achaemenid, did you use the Screenshot Tool set as Full Screen or something to that effect? just a thought that may help.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:09 AM

romanus@Argyrus ~ $ inxi -Fz
System:    Host: Argyrus Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   System: Sony product: VPCF1390X version: C609719P
           Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: American Megatrends version: R0190Y9 date: 10/20/2010
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 CPU Q 740 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 933.00 MHz 2: 933.00 MHz 3: 933.00 MHz 4: 933.00 MHz 5: 933.00 MHz 6: 933.00 MHz 7: 933.00 MHz 8: 933.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 425M] 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1080@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 425M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8057 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (54.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000LPCX size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 453G used: 254G (60%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 236M used: 47M (22%) fs: ext2 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0C mobo: 61.0C gpu: 59C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 248 Uptime: 32 min Memory: 1410.6/5949.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17 
romanus@Argyrus ~ $ 

Edited by Achaemenid, 29 July 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#8 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Achaemenid, did you use the Screenshot Tool set as Full Screen or something to that effect? just a thought that may help.

I always use that function. Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Maybe i missed it, but i do not see a little white line in your screenshot.  Connect an external monitor.  See if the white line follows.

I don't have an external monitor. Maybe I could take this machine to an internet cafe.

#10 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

The next move I am thinking of is removing the nVidia driver and reverting to nouveau driver, Linux in-house product.

But nouveau is on a blacklist, so I have to remove that. I put it on blacklist as part of installing nvidia.

Then remove nvidia and dependencies in the terminal using

sudo apt-get remove -- autoremove <packagename>

then using

deborphan

and at the same time re- install nouveau because I may not be able to do it in GUI while nvidia is off.

Edited by Achaemenid, 29 July 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:57 AM

Sounds like a monitor (or screen) issue, and could be the inverter if the display on an external monitor shows the same. I doubt it's either the Intel HD nor GeForce GT425M being the issue. The only sure fire way to know is by plugging in any external monitor available, even if you have to go to a relative or friend's home to try. If it shows the on the external, look for an inverter. Should all be fine, then a screen defect which can only be replaced with a like one.

BTW, my MSI FX603 notebook (2011 vintage) has the same GPU(s) as yours, the GeForce GT425M, although my CPU is the dual core i7 640M. Which is more than capable of running Linux Mint. The other specs (6GB RAM & 500 GiB HDD) were also the same, although I've long upgraded both. Sounds like Sony tried a cheap clone of MSI's work, IMO. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

I just changed from nvidia to nouveau using Driver Manager in Linux. But there is no change.

This suggests the problem is due to installing the Virtual Machine with Windows.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:32 AM

Does this show only when you're running the virtual machine(s) or also when Linux Mint alone is running alone? :)

If it's just with the VM's, maybe a little more RAM needs to be allocated for the graphics. I mean, Windows 7 likely shipped on this computer anyway, by now is a far heavier OS than in 2011, so requires more resources now than over 6 years back in time & you can't assign 3GB RAM to the VM, the virtual software setup won't allow that, maybe 2.5 to 2.75GB at the most. That's not enough RAM to run today's Windows 7, unless it's a bare OS with only updates & an extra browser installed & would still struggle due to the 250+ updates since SP1 alone. Until I upgraded to 8GB, was having issues with Windows XP Mode running, which is a pre-built virtual XP Pro available as a download to W7 Pro & Ultimate machines, the VM struggled with 2GB RAM to run. Once able to give XP the full 3.25GB it could handle, all was fine. 

However, if this shows on Linux Mint 17.2 w/out any VM running, you likely have a screen or inverter issue. If it's the screen, would show on that one only, if the inverter, will show on anything. 

You can also try booting into your Linux Mint install media, which doubles as a Live OS session, you'll know right then if there's a hardware issue, because that would be totally independent of any installed OS's on the computer. That's my suggestion for your next troubleshooting step, if there's no lines, then your hardware is OK. You'll then know if you have too high of a sustained load on the computer with the virtual machine software, or there's a hardware issue to address. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 427 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

Does this show only when you're running the virtual machine(s) or also when Linux Mint alone is running alone? :)

If it's just with the VM's, maybe a little more RAM needs to be allocated for the graphics. I mean, Windows 7 likely shipped on this computer anyway, by now is a far heavier OS than in 2011, so requires more resources now than over 6 years back in time & you can't assign 3GB RAM to the VM, the virtual software setup won't allow that, maybe 2.5 to 2.75GB at the most. That's not enough RAM to run today's Windows 7, unless it's a bare OS with only updates & an extra browser installed & would still struggle due to the 250+ updates since SP1 alone. Until I upgraded to 8GB, was having issues with Windows XP Mode running, which is a pre-built virtual XP Pro available as a download to W7 Pro & Ultimate machines, the VM struggled with 2GB RAM to run. Once able to give XP the full 3.25GB it could handle, all was fine. 

However, if this shows on Linux Mint 17.2 w/out any VM running, you likely have a screen or inverter issue. If it's the screen, would show on that one only, if the inverter, will show on anything. 

You can also try booting into your Linux Mint install media, which doubles as a Live OS session, you'll know right then if there's a hardware issue, because that would be totally independent of any installed OS's on the computer. That's my suggestion for your next troubleshooting step, if there's no lines, then your hardware is OK. You'll then know if you have too high of a sustained load on the computer with the virtual machine software, or there's a hardware issue to address. :)

Cat

The white line shows all the time whether the VM is running or not but it started right after I installed Win7 in the VM.

Thanks for this tip about using a live cd to check the screen.

When I installed Linux Mint 17.2 I encrypted the hard drive. I think it sets the RAM without giving an option to increase or decrease. 

So am not sure I can change that, unless someone with a much higher IQ knows the terminal commands.

I will look in VM settings to see if I can give if more RAM from there.

Win7 on the VM is running so badly (audio quality etc) that it is not worth it.

Encrypting the HDD in Linux is big pain anyway. Fails to even show the login field when I start, then I have to shut down and restart, it restarts in recovery mode then lets me login.

I may just have to junk this whole set up.

Edited by Achaemenid, 03 August 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

Achaemenid, I agree with the last sentence of you above post, I'm now updating the MSI notebook mentioned above with basically the same specs as yours, and while Linux Mint 18.2 (no VM's) runs like a champ. W10 not so much due to high overhead & partly due to chipset limitations (HM55), cannot use the full 800.0 MHz of the RAM modules, rather 569 MHz (what a waste of dual channel 800 MHz chips with 7-7-7-20 timings!), a huge drop & this is on the best dual core mobile i7 (640M) that'll fit in the socket. :(

Plus heat is an issue, even on a fast running notebook cooler (CPU 76C, MB 77C) & this is only with W10 running updates as of this moment. with the manual Turbo switch off! Would sizzle in the mid to upper 80C range, which may not harm the CPU, yet bad for the MB. These OEM's performed a poor job at cooling of these notebooks, having a powerful CPU plus discrete GPU requires two fans, minimum, as my Samsung Series 7 notebook has. 

This doesn't happen with Mint 18.2, or any prior versions, temps are around the 50-55C range, which would be considered normal for this gen of a notebook, plus having upgraded a couple of times, I keep it clean, not long back, cleaned the heatsink using dish detergent & a brush, allowed to air dry, then used 91% alcohol to clean the CPU & the surface of the heatsink where contact with CPU is made & applied just a rice size of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on the CPU side of the chip & dot size on the GPU side & broke in for the recommended 200 hours with Prime95 (two 100 hour runs with 12 hours between these & an hour of idle after each). So there's no reason why it 's running so hot on W10 (now finally dropped to normal temps, 50C CPU, 57C MB, once updates were completed), I don't know what it is about this notebook heating under load with W10 (& 7 Pro prior), runs at low temps with Mint, as long as I don't have two browsers open, or 30+ Chrome pages. :lol:

So as you noted above in 'may just have to junk this whole set up', you either need to run LM 18.2, or W7, or dual boot (best option on this hardware & you can still encrypt either) & get a more powerful setup, preferably a PC, new(er) of self-built, for what you're attempting to do & I believe you'll find success. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users