Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update crashing Malwarebytes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

This morning, received notice on my laptop that a Malwarebytes update was available.  Installed it.  It called for a restart.  During the restart, Windows updates were apparently processed.  Now MB won't start.

In case it is relevant here, or actually belongs here, I have posted the details of this event at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/651990/malwarebytes-and-windows-update-now-malwarebytes-wont-start/

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

Whenever a Malwarebytes update requires a restart, you just have to restart Malwarebytes, not your entire computer. Just uninstall MB and reinstall it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

Hm.  It said "restart the computer" so I did.

Uninstalling and reinstalling seems to have fixed the problem.  Thanks!

Go figure.

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

Oops.  Secunia PSI still reports the following as needing manual update ("click to update"): Adobe Flash Player 25.x; Microsoft .NET framework 4.x; Microsoft Internet Explorer 11,x (64 bit); Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.x; Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (I never use this); and Microsoft Windows 10.

Selecting "click to update" Windows 10 takes me to a Microsoft document with a link to install the Creators Update (already installed several weeks ago in the natural unforced update cycle).  The system reports the installed version as 1703, which AFAIK is the Creators Update and also the most recent available version.  Speccy reports the most recently installed Hotfix as KB4025342, the Cumulative Update for version 1703 as of 7/19/2017.  Settings/System/About reports installed version as Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, Build 15063.483

Speccy reports .NET frameworks installed as v4.7 Full, v4.7 Client, v3.5 SP 1, v3.0 SP 2, v2.0 SP 2.

Speccy reports Internet Explorer as version 11.483.15063.0

Speccy reports Security Update for Adobe Flash Player KB4025376 as installed on 7/19/2017

Question arising: should I really try to re-install the Creators Update (and then, I suppose, all the subsequent "hotfixes"), or should I wait for Microsoft to sort this out?  It looks to me as if the Windows update, downloaded presumably last night and run this morning while restarting after updating Malwarebytes, may have gotten thoroughly messed up?  Either that, or Secunia PSI got confused.

Since Malwarebytes is apparently no longer messed up, I propose to continue the discussion here only, and not in the anti-malware forum (where I will post a link).  I hope that is correct.

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:55 PM

Had the laptop shut down over night (just asleep,.from closing the lid).  Had a momentary power outage this morning, didn't affect the laptop.  Just opened the lid and it came to life without having to reboot.  Ran Secunia PSI and now it says everything is up to date except the old SQL Server (haven't used in years, will now uninstall).

Anybody want to suggest what happened?  Last night Secunia listed a whole bunch of things needing updating, including Windows 10.  I closed the lid.  Just now I opened the lid again, the system woke up immediately, I ran Secunia and it now says everything is up to date (with the above noted, expected exception).  I did NOTHING to cause this to happen.  Before that, the "Update required" condition persisted through at least half a dozen boot cycles and use of other programs, notably Speccy Pro.  Also several lid closings.

This is not a "problem" at all - quite the contrary, my intention in opening the lid was to ask here what to do about the requested updates, and now I don't need to - but it sure does tickle my curiosity bone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users