Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SD slot macbook pro 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

I have a Canon Powershot A60 and I always used the USB cable to download any pics. It is now dead and I am trying to replace it. One of the camera experts I talked to via phone said all SD cards were the same size, but that doesn't appear to be correct via online reading. Anyway, I tried to put the SD card from my old Canon into the slot on my mac and it is too large. Online reading said the 2010 slot supports SD .1x, .2x, .3x - whatever that means. The SD card doesn't have anything on it to ID a standard or size.

What kind of SD cards will fit my 2010 and how do I ID them? Cameras don't seem to come w/ USB cords anymore - or w/ viewfinders or macro options in my price range. Grumble, grumble.

PS I'm looking at an older used camera that is supposedly good at macro shots. It uses a "32MB xD-Picture Card". Is that compatible w/ the mac slot. It doesn't appear to include a USB option.

Edited by MaryBet82, 19 July 2017 - 01:43 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Your camera uses a CompactFlash (CF) memory card, whereas your laptop only supports Secure Digital (SD) memory cards. You cannot use your camera CF card in your Apple laptop's card slot.

Hope this helps.:)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

Compact Flash cards are essentially obsolete and they were anything but compact measuring approximately 43 x 37 mm. The current industry standard for cameras is the SD card and all SD cards have the same dimensions and contacts. They do come in a wide range of capacities and speeds.

If you still have CF cards with photos you want to transfer to a computer you should still be able to buy a stand alone card reader which will take them but I do not know about compatibility of connections with an Apple laptop since all the ones I have seen and used use USB as the connector. But I believe you can get round this

You are right and wrong about different sizes of SD cards. Standard SD cards are approximately 30 x 23 mm and are all interchangeable. The specification differences refer mainly to the speed at which they can store an image. There are two other varieties with a smaller case but these are referred to as SD Mini and SD Micro.

Again, the mini variant is much less common but the micro is very common and is the standard in mobile phones and tablets for SIM cards and memory expansion. This web-page may make things clearer -

http://www.interfacebus.com/Secure_Digital_Card_Pinout.html

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Just One Question & Chris. My sister pointed out I had a compact flash card. It is her camera, a later Canon Powershot than mine, that had the SD card. Her card was too small for the slot. Maybe it's not an SD slot if all SD's have the same dimensions. I never used that slot and after 7 years I may have gotten confused. Somewhere I have a pic w/ the various ports/slots of my mac labeled that I recently looked out but now I can't find. It should be in my mac folder - I hate when things aren't in the folder I think they are.

I'm not trying to get pics off the old CF card, I'm trying to purchase a new camera that I can download to my "old" mac. Most of them advertise WiFi to download to phones and tablets, of which I have neither. And NFC or NFS, which I haven't looked up yet but I doubt works w/ my mac since I never heard of it. I was trying to buy a camera that had the correct size SD to fit into what I thought was my SD card slot.

I either once bought a card reader or I researched buying a card reader and then didn't. I'll have to poke around my office and see what I find.

Thanks for the links. I'll give them a read after I take a nap. I never thought trying to buy a point and shoot camera would be so confusing, frustrating and exhausting. I wish they still had camera stores w/ an expert who could explain things and cameras you could actually look at before buying. We do have a Best Buy in the area, but it would cost me a fortune to go by taxi and I can't uber w/out a smartphone.

Edited by MaryBet82, 20 July 2017 - 12:48 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

SD, SDXC and SDHC memory cards all have the same dimensions as each other and they will all fit the slot in your MBP. Micro SD cards are smaller but they can be used with adapters that are the same dimensions as the the other  3 SD memory cards. The differences between the 3 memory cards are that the SD can hold up to 2GB data, SDHC up to 32GB and SDXC up to 2 TB. The camera you are looking at to buy will show which type of SD card that it will be compatible with in it's specs. Here's list of Canon cameras that are compatible with SD cards.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Maybe it's not an SD slot if all SD's have the same dimensions

According to the specs published by Apple this laptop does have an SD card slot.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp583?locale=en_GB

And if your sister has a Powershot it almost certainly uses an SD card. We have two Powershots one of which is sitting right beside me - a 590 model - and it definitely uses an SD card. It is possible, if hers is one of the newest models, that it uses a Micro SD card, some camera manufacturers have gone over to them, but as Buddyme2 has pointed out you can get adapters which will allow you to use a Micro card in a standard slot. You can get similar adapters for the Mini SD cards as well.

Generally, in my experience, the quickest way to get images from a camera to a computer is to take the card out of the camera and plug it into the computer - either directly or with a card reader - and use the file manager to copy over the images. And in most cameras it is reasonably easy to get the card out.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Chris & Buddme2,

After my nap I found the specs for my macbook pro 17" and copied them into Word and saved the file in my mac folder. I am getting a lot of weird links first in line when I do google searches these days. I did better with bing, but my old browser didn't like loading the homepage - I got the spinning multicolored ball at first.

I wrote that SD, SDXC and SDHC are all the same size in my camera shopping notebook altho I don't think I'll forget in the next few days. I'll have to buy from Walmart now 'cause I'm out of time for online shopping.

Depending on price I'd like the SDXC because of its "extended capacity". Some of the cameras I looked at don't come w/ a memory card.

Back in 2010 when I was downloading pics to my new mac I probably remembered that I had a compact flash card in the Canon and an SD slot and that's why I used the USB connector that came w/ the camera. It will be nice to just use the SD slot.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users