Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creator Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 aislingean

aislingean

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Today it was my turn to have the Creator Upgrade forced on me
The download started and after some time the computer rebooted
Blank screen with blinking underscore like an old Dos box
Nothing no activity from HDD Zilch
Contacted MS support by telephone lots of apologies but no useful suggestions
I suggested that all indications were no OS was found after the post
We agreed that it was probably a corrupt or missing MBR
After one and a half hours I was informed that M.S could do nothing and their recommendation was Download and install windows 10 again and lose everything
My computer would not boot no internet access how could I download?
I suggested that I could boot to LINUX from a usb distro or use Hirams to work on the MBR and back up my HDD to an external storage drive as I did not want to lose everything They would not even acknowledge that this could work
Microsoft Tech is not helpful Be warned!
To close my tale some good news
I prepared the laptop to receive Linux etc and to be on the safe side I removed the sd picture card from the card reader and then rebooted
EUREKA it booted back to Windows upgrade and everything is now installed and upgraded.
The computer was trying to boot from the sd card!!!!
Perhaps the tech people need to stop jumping to conclusions and revise their basic check list
Yes folks check your BIOS settings and make sure HDD is first boot device when upgrading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the full story with a happy ending.

You have experienced, directly, why many people recommend unplugging all USB devices from a computer when doing a major Win10 update.  SD card readers are, of course, USB devices even though they don't use the conventional USB-A port.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 aislingean

aislingean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

Yes I would of course agree!
Check all ports as like me you may not even know that SWMBO has been looking at pictures on the lap top and those little cards are hard to see

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

In my opinion, since the Creators Update has been out for over 3 months, you had plenty of time to prepare for it and even install it yourself. That is how I like to handle these big updates, I like to do them on my own terms and on my own time. Because of this, I always just download the update and do the install myself.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 aislingean

aislingean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

In my opinion, since the Creators Update has been out for over 3 months, you had plenty of time to prepare for it and even install it yourself. That is how I like to handle these big updates, I like to do them on my own terms and on my own time. Because of this, I always just download the update and do the install myself.

Here in the UK it is just being rolled out and many technical magazines and columnists apparently warned not to download and install prior to the official roll out as that could lead to enforced security changes ???????
So whose advice do you heed?
Personally I am not interested what MS are going to do in the future as I cannot change them.
I had not heard of the Creator Edition Upgrade as they are calling it until 3 days ago
MS Tech tell me this is not an update it is an upgrade.
I am not interested in Cortana, Edge, 3D whatever, the mail account thing, or any of the other so called upgrades but they enforce change.
They regularly hide my Opera browser and deactivate programs I have installed and used for years 
I am told this is due to incompatibility however re-installation has so far always allowed continued use
MS Sucks!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

Windows 10 introduced the concept of Windows as a Service which is a distinct change from the way that major OS upgrades had been distributed in the past.

I can believe, entirely, that the roll-out of Version 1703 (I've stopped using the marketing names) is just starting in the UK, or at least on some machines in the UK.  All of the major upgrades so far have been months-long roll-outs where some group of machines selected by Microsoft by some unknown algorithm are grouped into a cohort to which a major update is pushed out.  Each cohort is far smaller than the entire embedded base of Windows 10 machines.   Given the number of machines running Windows 10, the fact that many of them were never designed for it nor officially certified for it by their makers, and that Windows 10 gathers system health telemetry to detect problems with a roll-out on specific equipment it makes sense that the roll-out as a whole is done in phases.

Two of my three computers are now on Version 1703 but the third remains on 1607.  I have no intention of updating it until it has Version 1703 pushed to it via the normal update process or Microsoft announces that the Version 1703 roll-out is complete and the machine has not been updated.  I haven't had the latter situation happen yet, and I've had all three of these machines running Windows 10 since the Version 1511 era.

By the way, I was annoyed with MS with regard to so-called program incompatibility issues where the program was not incompatible in the early days of Windows 10.   Now I am annoyed with the software makers of those programs.  The method for marking your software as compatible with Windows 10 was published months before the first release of Windows 10 in July 2015.  Places that claim that their software is compatible with Windows 10 (and indeed it is as far as being able to run it) but where that software gets archived at major upgrades have not bothered to do the simple digital marking two years after the release of Windows 10.  In this case that's the third-party maker's fault, not Microsoft's.

Edited by britechguy, 19 July 2017 - 04:26 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

Seems to me that many OEM's are not going to provide updates after one or two years after it goes into market. They can not make money selling you a new laptop/pc if your old one stays up to date . We all know it's been that way for OEM's since the day they started making pc's

#8 aislingean

aislingean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

I read today that MS have withdrawn support from a whole plethora of machines running 10 due to hardware issues
Here is an extract from a post ....
three or four years old, are now unable to receive new feature updates to Windows 10. If Microsoft doesn't deliver a patch within the next six to nine months, those PCs could be cut off from security fixes.

Some PCs that received a free upgrade to Windows 10 less than two years ago are now officially blocked from receiving future updates.

If you are one of the unlucky owners of one of the first 2-in-1 PCs, announced in 2012 and sold throughout 2013 and 2014, your PC was eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade in mid-2015, and it also received the Summer 2016 Anniversary Update (version 1607) without any compatibility issues.

But when Windows Update tries to install the March 2017 Creators Update, version 1703, the installation fails with a dire (and confusing) message that reads:

Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC

Uninstall this app now because it isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Don't be fooled by that message. There's no app to uninstall. This problem occurs because of a fundamental incompatibility between the PC hardware and the latest release of Windows 10...

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

Microsoft is planning if not already to use a subscription based Windows 10 o.s. for enterprise.

If M$ makes the decision in the future to go subscription based for Windows 10 home, Would you cough up $75. or whatever they decide every year to continue using it?

Edited by Joe C, 19 July 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

I read today that MS have withdrawn support from a whole plethora of machines running 10 due to hardware issues
Here is an extract from a post ....
three or four years old, are now unable to receive new feature updates to Windows 10. If Microsoft doesn't deliver a patch within the next six to nine months, those PCs could be cut off from security fixes.

Some PCs that received a free upgrade to Windows 10 less than two years ago are now officially blocked from receiving future updates.

If you are one of the unlucky owners of one of the first 2-in-1 PCs, announced in 2012 and sold throughout 2013 and 2014, your PC was eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade in mid-2015, and it also received the Summer 2016 Anniversary Update (version 1607) without any compatibility issues.

But when Windows Update tries to install the March 2017 Creators Update, version 1703, the installation fails with a dire (and confusing) message that reads:

Windows 10 is no longer supported on this PC

Uninstall this app now because it isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Don't be fooled by that message. There's no app to uninstall. This problem occurs because of a fundamental incompatibility between the PC hardware and the latest release of Windows 10...

I do not believe it's a compatibility issue as much as M$ just decides "your pc is old (according to OEM's & M$), your screwed"

M$ has done something similar by stating that your Ryzen/Kaby Lake chip is not supported on Windows 7... And that is just a flat out lie

If your in that position, It's probably time to start learning to use Linux.

Ubuntu, Mint and a few others have really made it much more user friendly than ever and they are still working on it

Edited by Joe C, 19 July 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

It would really help if people attempted to stay within the realm of fact, verifiable assertion, rather than wild speculation.

The article quoted here was discussed, at length, with much additional background in the Windows 10 Discussion sub-forum in a thread entitled, Windows 10 Creators Update cuts support for some Intel PCs early.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

We can not view our opinions? I have not stated anything was a known fact except the Ryzen/Kaby Lake issue

In my last post I stated "I do not Believe" which should show my statement is not a fact "your screwed"

In my previous post before that one, Bleeping Computer did the story about enterprise going to subscription based. Then it was my conjecture about Windows home by stating "if" and with a question mark at the end of my comment

I will stay on track with this threads subject line

Edited by Joe C, 19 July 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

One's posting history does tend to develop quickly, and opinions about what's being said come from what's been said before.

And opinions that are incorrect deserve to be corrected, at least if one is concerned with accuracy.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:44 PM

They are not facts,

Correcting opinions? Seriously????

I think I'll leave to find a better regime

#15 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:28 AM

My desktop is now 6 years old. Of course, I bought with the future in mind. For instance, I'll always go with the X version of the Intel chips for longevity. ALl the machines are Intel based. This machine started with Win 7 then Win 8-8.1 and WIn 10 Pro free. I have since then, clean installed WIn 10 just because I wanted a clean machine. I added SSD's a while back as well. I could go back to any of the versions I want as I have images of each. Oh, I also dual boot Ubuntu on my desktop.

I've not experienced any compatibility problems. 

I know I am a small number compared to the world but out of the computers that I use/manage 3 @home, 12 @work, and various friends and family, I have yet to run into compatibility issues or any real issues for that matter that I could truly blame Microsoft for.

I happen to think Microsoft has done a fine job considering the variables they are up against. Vast number of configurations, vast number of different kinds of users, vast number of viruses/malware. When you think of the variables, one has to marvel that it works at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users