Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wolfen57

wolfen57

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:54 AM

Hi all
I recently got a PC second hand it ran fine for a couple of weeks then started freezing. When i start it up it will run for about 5-10 mins then freeze for about 20 mins then start running again but very unstable.
Searching through the files i came across a folder labeled SP2, but unable to open it, properties state it was created in Oct 05.
Is it possible to uninstall SP2 if this is the problem.
I,ve run CCleaner,adaware,Spybot and AVG and got rid of anything they found.
Thanks Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:56 AM

Hi Wolfen57

Short answer - NO
XP SP2, automatically updated, is what keeps your PC safety up to date. Without it, MS will not want to know you.

Try the suggestions HERE.
Let us know your progress.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:56 AM

If you would not mind giving us alittle more information about the computer and software.
What security software are you running? Do you have a firewall?
Have you looked in the Event Viewer, in Administrative Tools? If there is an error message please post the entire error message. This may lead us to the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:59 AM

Well hey we got three things we gotta look at here, one how much ram do you have with your computer? Processing power?

second thing: Clean the inside of the computer (this is actually more of a maintanence thing and it's just a good thing to do)

Third thing: you might want to get a hijack and then post it in hijackthis log, most reasons why the computer runs slow is because of spyware and such.

#5 wolfen57

wolfen57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for your replies

rowall5555: the reason i asked about SP2 is because of this posted in BC

- Using Windows Update to get the latest Windows security updates.

One thing which is often overlooked in getting you computer secure is updating all the security patches that Microsoft has for Windows and Internet Explorer. There is only one caveat... If you are not running Windows XP SP-2, do NOT update to it!!! The update is known to be faulty when there is malware present on your system. This can render your computer system unstartable! So, in short, get all updates you can apart from SP-2!

acklan: I,ll get the complete system spec when i get home tonight

Gyro: not sure about the ram till tonight, i,ve done most of the maintenance, was going to do a HJT tonight

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:40 AM

OK. I am taking it for granted that you are running XP in which case you should have SP2 installed and fully updated for your own protection.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

Try going to Start then Run. Type in msinfo32. This MicroSoft utility will give you quite a bit of infomation about your computer.
If you need more information about your computer, including the COA keys for Windows and Office, you can use either Belarc or Everest 1.51.
Just thought I would mention it. They are good utilities to have anyways.

Edited by acklan, 13 September 2006 - 07:31 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

I believe that the post about SP2 was made shortly after SP2 came out. There were many stories about SP2 problems back then - but they all seem to be traceable to software/drivers that weren't compatible with SP2.

In short, the fix is to update those outdated drivers/software to a version that supports SP2.

Take a look at this topic to see if you can isolate some error messages for us to work with: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 wolfen57

wolfen57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:32 AM

Oops, must of had a blonde moment.:thumbsup:

Ive not read it properly, i thought it meant dont download SP2, the post concerns updates :flowers:

Which means Windows SP2 is not my problem oh well see you all in Highjackthis log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users