Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A data point or two for cell phone display quality

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LSaff

LSaff

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

I guess I am a heavy user of my mobile phones for a lot of uses - GPS navigation, in-store product research (shopping) and general Googling.  My HTC Bolt display has now died, making this my second touch-screen cell phone with display issues.  I had a long-lived LG G2 before this.  I replaced the display on that, paying rather too much for the replacement, and only bought the Bolt about half a year ago.

I'm dismayed that the displays are so problematic (for me, at least).  One of the factors in my choice of the Bolt was that the case is all metal, and it seemed like it should be a robust device.  I DID find that no matter where I tried to set the phone down, it slipped or slid off of what looked like horizontal surfaces, so it has for sure had more bumps than I would like.  (I ultimately took to storing it in a basket or a pocket, anywhere other than on a table or ledge, where It could not physically slide and fall!).

Any tips or tricks you know for increasing the longevity of these lovely displays, for those of us who like to keep mobile phones past the "gee whiz" dates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

I've never had such problems with any such devices of mine, but seems to me that you'd be the perfect candidate for a good, robust smartphone case. Just buy whatever cell phone you'd like and equip it with a well-made case for it.:)

#3 LSaff

LSaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

I used a good case for the LG, which I'll admit, lasted longer than the Bolt.  I am seeing a whole LOT of posts complaining at the carrier's site, about the Bolt having display issues like mine.  In this instance, I don't think it is really related to damage.  The display is completely intact.  Otherwise, the phone seems functional.  I am an adult, I drop phones far less than most young people I know, and the Bolt WAS advertised as a sturdy device.  I guess I am doomed to go iPhone - those are the phones for which cases are readily available everywhere I go (but aren't the Apple products really dreadful as far as display durability?)  Or maybe the era of the cell phone on a plan is fading, and it's time to start buying the cheap no-contract devices.

Thanks for the suggestion for padding the phones! :-)

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

I wouldn't say so (about the durability of the iPhone screens). I've heard no such complaints. If I am not mistaken Samsung is credited with having the best displays on the market for a long time now and they also produce the displays for the Apple iPhones, so I wouldn't be worried with their quality all too much.:)

#5 LSaff

LSaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

Good to know.  I have also been thinking seriously about adding a smartwatch to my wardrobe.  I bought my husband one and I notice the notifications function is really convenient.  I guess maybe a Samsung is in my future, then.  I thought I had seen a lot of chatter that the iPhone screens cracked very easily - though, my one daughter has used only iPhones for quite a while and she has never mentioned any issues.  Thanks for your reassurances, too!

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:52 AM

You're welcome. Well, I guess it depends on how you use them, but I don't think there's any inherent weakness to the iPhones' or the Samsungs' screens as compared to other manufacturers' displays.

If you wish, you could get a smartwatch. I haven't really used one before, though, so I can't really be of much assistance there.

Also, you can use a good screen protector for extra security in that department.:)

#7 LSaff

LSaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

I am usually the early adopter of our household, so it was unusual to make my husband the "test case" for that.  But he doesn't much like the fancy faces on most regular watches now, he just wants to be able to clearly read the TIME.  With a smartwatch, I knew he would be able to configure the face (I chose the Pebble, which has been bought out now by FitBit, but the Pebble is a terrific device as far as we know so far).  He really liked it, and I recently have noticed how nice that he can see what a notification is, without even having to touch his phone.  I really think that would be great for me - it would mean a lot less handling of the phone, so less chance to set it down wrong.  (However, I don't think that would have done too much for this display.  The display on the old LG died after YEARS of my regular use.  This one, I noticed the silly fingerprint sensor behaving funny quite early.  Now, it has been getting hot to the touch, so I think it is related to the screen dying, more than the phone sliding.  This was my first foray to an HTC product.  I can't say that it was a good experience.  I like the LGs quite a bit, though none of the current ones look as capable to me.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

Indeed. Nowadays the smartphone market has become pretty matured, so almost all devices, in my view, are good, capable and well-maid. This is an excerpt from a comment of mine in another topic here for a guy asking for advice:

"The good news is that there are pretty much no really slow phones on the market almost anywhere in the world for any price any more. Even cheap Chinese knock-offs will browse the web just fine. The cheapest I have tested was ~33 gbp and it did perfectly okay browsing the web while only Chrome being opened one tab at a time. It was smooth and uneventful.".

There are some generally good brands of smartphone makers who occasionally produce bad, or more so not-so-great, phones and vice versa. I can't really recommend a single particular smartphone as I'm not an expert. However, the best makers right now, I think, are Apple, Samsung, Huawei and LG. I am confident that picking up any of the offerings in their line-up would not be an unwise decision. Keep in mind, though, that, probably as you know, whereas Samsung, Huawei and LG smartphones run on Android OS, Apple's iPhones employ iOS as an operating system, which is a relatively moderate change if you are used to the Android user interface.

The three most usually quoted as the best and most powerful smartphones on the market devices right now are:

1.Apple's iPhone 7+ (or just 7 for the smaller size)

2.Samsung's Galaxy S8+ (or just 8 for the smaller size)

3.Huawei's P10+ (or just P10 for the smaller size)

Analogically, for a tighter budget one could go with the previous generations of the same smartphones, there are still pretty powerful and would do basically everything with ease.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 July 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#9 LSaff

LSaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Well I am a bit astonished.  I just spent the past few days shopping for a new phone or repairs, hobbling along using Hangouts (thanks, Google!) to keep in touch with family.  I found a sweet deal for an LG smartphone with a smartwatch to match, over at B & H Photo.  But come to find out, THIS LG won't work on my cell phone's network.  Back to the drawing board, I think.

And then ..... a miracle occurred!

I picked my old HTC up out of my bag, trying for old times' sake to do a soft reset.  I'd not even finished getting the phone in my hand, when the display came on just as good as new!

So, maybe this is an intermittent display problem.  Or maybe there was a problem with our WiFi (I noticed some peculiarities with a tablet on the WiFi network, too, which has now gone away also).  I don't quite know where to pin the blame!

I really like the looks of the LG G6, but I guess (for now anyway) I don't have to make a choice.  I still think I might shop some more for a smartwatch.

I'm very much an Android lover.  I am uncomfortable, personally, with the "Apple ecosystem" notion (not saying it's bad for other folks, I know a lot of people love the Apple and iPhone!).  Yes, I think you pegged the top contenders really well!  Thanks for your suggestions and advice!!

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

No worries, I'm happy things worked out for you.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users