Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly losing hard drive space on computer - do I have a virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marco1607

Marco1607

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

I have an Acer Aspire 5736Z with a 250 GB hard drive and 3 GB RAM. My operating system is Windows 10 64 bit. I have Windows defender and  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for protection. I've run both but have not been able to find anything. However, recently I have rapidly been losing hard drive space when connected to the internet,losing over 50GB, although I have not been downloading anything.

For example, until recently I had close to 90-100 GB still free. I got a low memory warning the other day and was surprised to find that my free space was down to about 15 GB, so I quickly removed 10 GB's of programs, etc. and did system clean It then showed that I had a little over 37 or 38 GB's free. Today when I turned on my computer i saw 38GB but now after working for only about an hour on the computer I have dropped to 31.8GB.

Basically, no matter how much I delete from my hard drive, it keeps filling up. I suspect malware, a virus, or rootkit, but have been unable to detect it with my security programs.

I would appreciate any help I can get from this forum.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:38 AM

Haven't had encounter personally, but It is possible that malware is hijacking your resources, some form of rootkit is a likely scenario as well. Steps below should help you clean up your PC fully if there are any issues with it:

1. Restart the PC in "safe mode with networking"
2. Install RKill and run it to kill any malicious services.
3. Check your programs for any unrecognized software that you didn't install. If found, uninstall it.
4. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
5. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro.
6. Do a full registry and general file clean up with CCleaner
7. Restart PC in normal mode and do another quick scan with Malwarebytes.

This should clean up the majority of malware. You could also defragment your HDD and probably do a disc check at some point. Other than that you should be good to go. Let me know if this helps you!

#3 Marco1607

Marco1607
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hi

Thanks for your immediate feedback.

I executed your instructions and now the situation has momentarily stabilized. I happened to find a 127.0.0.1 in the hosts file of example.net which appeared out of nowhere, otherwise no malicious/suspicious programs were found.

Otherwise the file size of C has now increased over 30GB but idf I do have any other problems I shall let you know.

Thanks again for all the help and best regards.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

That IP is your LocalHost or Loopback address. It refers to your computer. But you also have a private IP address. So that IP is safe to see. More info HERE ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost

But if your drive is still filling then you probably are infected and we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Marco1607

Marco1607
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

Sorry. I ddin't express myself correctly. I meant to say that I now have a C file in an acceptable range of 30-33GB and I am not in a situation where I see the size of the drive decrease by 30-40GB as I did in the past so I am actually satisfied with the results. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again :thumbup2:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

Ok, cool.. Have a great Day!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:07 AM

Happy I could help, if you have any additional troubles with your C drive, feel free to continue this topic, I will do my best to help you sort out the issue. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users