Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new camera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

macbook pro 10.6.8 eventually to be upgraded to el capitan

This might ought to be in external hardware, but I thought those who edit may have preferences/knowledge for what hardware they start with. I also thought I posted this question a while ago, but I can't find it.

What I need is actually a point and shoot camera whose pictures I do not have to edit, so I may well be in the wrong forum. I may need two cameras, but I think these days my requirements may well be met in one.

I need a camera that can do closeups of small objects like jewelry, small screws. My Canon Powershot A60 did not do a good job w/ its macro feature. The pics reamined blurry thru multiple attempt.

I also need a camera that will take good pics in darkish storage tin cans as well as outside adequate to provide documentation for legal purposes.

I also need a camera that will do videos of me pointing out or expounding on damage that I can post on a website.

My sister has a win 8.1 laptop so I'd like to be able to download to either computer.

I'm in poor health and my brain feels like molasses. I can't do the research I used to be able to do. I'd appreciate some specific recommendations if anyone can so provide.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

So far no luck in my search. I spoke to nice people at Ritz and Best Buy, but in my price range options are limited. They've taken the viewfinders off the Canon point and shoots and the macro feature seems to have been replaced by the face recognition feature. Lithium rechargeables are now standard instead of AAs. That might work out better. I used rechargeable AA's and always had a spare set w/ me, but maybe the lithiums last longer. I can tell at this point that people who do photo editing and graphic design probably seldom use the type of camera I am looking for - which probably doesn't even exist in point and shoots.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

But in my price range options are limited

Useful information - what is your budget ?  And do you want what is essentially a pocket camera or would you be willing to go to something more like an SLR ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

I didn't want to go over $200. SLR's were too pricey, plus I'd have a longer learning curve. I had a deadline to buy the camera by the 25th - actually before the 25th so I could set it up and practice taking pics - and I ran out of time for online shopping so I went to walmart. They had a Sony DSC-W830 [20MB] I intended to buy from online research even tho it had no macro feature. I found a Kodak Pixpro FZ152 [$129; 16MB]] which had a macro icon on that wheel thing and a lithium battery. There were other cameras there w/ the macro feature in my price range but they used AA batteries. I decided to go w/ a lithium battery since my AA battery chargers {I had 2 so I was always ready to put fresh batteries in the camera and bring along spares] and the rechargeables were old. I'll see how the lithium battery lasts per charge and whether I need a second battery to carry along - assuming I can buy another one and replace the current one easily. I haven't investigated that yet.

The Kodak has the optical image stabilization, 15x optical zoom, 24mm wide angle, high dynamic range [whatever that is] continuous shooting and HD video. It has a usb cord w/ an AC adapter so you can charge from the computer or an outlet. According to the online manual you can access the camera's functions - like setting language etc. - while connected to the computer but that proved to be incorrect. The usb cord does not fit flush into the AC adapter [poor quality] but it still charges. Customer support was friendly and useless. My old Canon A60 came w/ a little manual w/ readable print that I carried around and consulted as I learned to use the camera. The Kodak only had an online manual  to download - I'd have to print and crop and staple to make my own manual. I guess most people can access the manual on their smartphones, of which I have none.

So far I am not impressed w/ the quality of the pics. I thought going from 2 MB to 16 MB I'd say wow, but no wow's yet. I think I remember reading that the optics are more important than the MBs. I thought of returning the Kodak, but decided to go ahead and use it and hope I can take pics of adequate quality for my current needs. Later I may prefer to buy a used camera after more research and experience w/ the kodak. The current crop of point and shoots have all these features I wouldn't use.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 06:51 PM

I hope it does what you need, it's always difficult when you have a deadline for replacing a piece of equipment.

You are right when you say that optical viewfinders in budget/pocket cameras are a very fast dying breed. the reason I asked if you wanted something more towards the SLR style was that the only smallish camera I have seen recently with an optical viewfinder is shaped more like a mini SLR. I think it was a Sony but I wasn't paying too much attention as we are not in the market for a camera at the moment but I remember that its overall shape was quite a bit bigger than the Canon Powershot - you would have needed a big pocket!

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

hi to all,

personally i am very pleased with my used canon poweshot a1400 i have bought six months ago

canon powershot have a very good reputation but you have another choice

why not to buy a used dslr 

you can find too many models 12 to 14 mp as low as 150 to 200 euros including the kit lens as well

far superior than any compact a dslr can give you a lot

is not difficult to use a dslr since it have too many ready shooting programs like macro, landscape, portrait etc

i would advice you to buy a used dslr and your never gonna regret it

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XUsed+dslr.TRS0&_nkw=Used+dslr&_sacat=0

Edited by nickos, 03 October 2017 - 10:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users