Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arkeyone

arkeyone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Product Name:     Pavilion p6-2022uk
Operating System:     Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Motherboard:     H-Cupertino 2-H61-uATX (Cupertino2)

Hi,
Your Bleeping Computer has had a high recommendation on Gizmo's website and so I hope that you will be able to guide me in a right direction in solving my issue. This is my first post here.

I'm helping a friend to get his Pavilion p6-2022uk desktop PC working again so that he can install his brand new Epson printer via USB.
During the printer installation I noticed that out of six USB ports attached to this HP desktop PC only 2 are working and

4 are no longer working. We made several attempts to revive the non working ports, but were not successful.   Of the two remaining active ports the first USB is reserved for his keyboard and the second USB is reserved for his mouse.  

The current state of the affairs is that we cannot proceed with printer installation via USB cable and my friend most adamantly does not wish to go the WiFi way for his new printer.  
We even tried to feed External powered USB Hub plugged into one of the working USB ports in order to achieve printer installation, but again no success there. So the issue here really is non working, dead ports.  

A couple of questions for you kind souls forumite experts.

1, what are the well-tested and tried methods to make dead USB ports working again?    

2, Is there something blocking or preventing some or all of these four USB ports to come alive? Old unused

drivers or corrupted settings as a result of unsuccesful printer installs come to mind.  

I woud dearly love to get a working solution to this issue and would really welcome any pointers and steps to be taken.

Many thanks,
Arkeyone        

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2017 - 06:44 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

Sounds like a hardware problem but you can try the following: Download Device Cleanup cmd here. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In that folder is a subfolder called X64. Copy X64 to the root of the C: drive.

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X, cmd as admin. Remove the printer if attached.

Type the following command.

cd c:\x64  <enter>
devicecleanupcmd.exe  <enter>

Reboot after the above commands are entered. This will delete all non-present devices that have been attached to the USB ports previously. Sometimes the drivers that are installed during the attachment of USB devices can conflict. 

If the above does not work then try a powercycle. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the cord and boot.

Finally see this HP support page.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01893385

If nothing on the support page works you can finally rule out a hardware or software problem by booting a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD, boot to the desktop. Attach a USB flash drive to each of the ports. Click on Computer and see if you can browse the USB flash drive.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

How old is this system? It sounds as if the USB UART Chipset is starting to fail.  If that is the case then you have 2 options either replace the motherboard or use 1 of the 3 free PCI-E slots and add a PCI-E USB Card. This will bypass the failing USB UART chip on the motherboard and allow you to continue with your printer installation. The cards are relatively cheap and can be purchased for under $20. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mailiya-Expansion-Superspeed-Connector-Desktops/dp/B01G86538S/ref=pd_cp_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01G86538S&pd_rd_r=N7GHFD4FGA4N2V4R37D1&pd_rd_w=4GrAt&pd_rd_wg=JrgGw&psc=1&refRID=N7GHFD4FGA4N2V4R37D1

Edited by arlattimor, 23 July 2017 - 08:55 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 arkeyone

arkeyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi arlattimor,

Many thanks arlattimor for your recommendation. I asked my friend about the age of the PC and he tells me it's about 5-6 years old. Bought as new directly form HP.

Also, thanks for the suggestion to purchase PCI type USB Card Adapter. We actually purchased one from Startech already, which is USB 2.0 version, one that is compatible with this motherboard and which offers three external USB ports.      

But the installation of the new USB card did not go to plan as Device Manager was showing SM Bus Controller error (code 18) and upon the PC restart  followed by Unknown Device error (code 28). All to do with either incorrect driver or incorrect driver installation method, as I understand it?

We have unplugged the PCI USB Card Adapter from the motherboard so that we can attend to the SM Bus Controller error (code 18) first. I have also contacted Startech manufacturer Help Forum to seek solutions. They were very helpful, but also suggested that SM Bus Controller error must be dealt with first before their PCI USB Card Adapter can become active and working.        

So that is the state of affairs at the moment. I shall be visiting my friend to attend to his PC next Wednesday. If we can get the new USB Card Adapter working, we should have an access to three new USB ports and be able to install the new printer.

Any working suggestions you may have for clearing up the SM Bus Controller error?

Thanks,

arkeyone   

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

I would look at the motherboard to see if the chipsets on the board are Intel. If they are then it is a matter downloading the Drivers for the SM Bus Controller from the Intel site. Also what Service Pack for Windows 7 does this system have? Hopefully, you have Service Pack 1 or not this also can be a contributing factor because you don't have all the current updates, hot fixes, service packs, and patches applied.  

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Here is the download link for the intel chipsets https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145

A. Lattimore

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Whats the processor on the computer Intel or AMD that will point me in the right direction to find chipset drivers

A. Lattimore

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Ok, I believe I have found the drivers needed. For your computer under the Driver-Original section download and install these 2 drivers.

1. Original Intel Management Engine Interface Driver

2. Original Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6-2000-desktop-pc-series/5151865/model/5176985

These are the official drivers from HP for the Model of your Computer.

Edited by arlattimor, 23 July 2017 - 05:03 PM.

A. Lattimore

#9 arkeyone

arkeyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I tried to reply to your message, but something did not work and my reply just did not go through. Excuse the delay to my reply, work commitments.

Device Cleanup Tool
I shall most certainly give this a go, nothing to lose here. It sounds like this tool gets rid off some old, unwanted and stuck in system files, which may create a conflict with new installations. And if many of them still hanging there, Windows can get confused.     

Powercycle
Likewise Powecycle is worth trying. It just may work, so worth a shot.

HP Troubleshooting page info
I shall study this to see if anything else may work. I've read a few of these checklists form Microsoft, Dell and others. May as well include the HP version on the subject.

Linux Mint distro test
I do have one of them in my library of live disks. This is an excellent solution to test if it's a hardware failure.
Thanks for that. This simple test should provide the answer to if USB ports work under Linux that it is not a hardware problem but by process of elimination a Windows issue that needs solving.

I shall be visiting my friend next Wednesday and attending to his troubled PC desktop. I would welcome any pointers and recommendations you may still have in your experience to resolve this issue.
Many thanks,

Arkeyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users