Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIO Win 10 Auto Repair Boot Loop Linux tool?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 hateway

hateway

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'm always grateful (and even donate sometimes!) to the members of this forum.

I see a lot of All-In-Ones get the boot loop. Usually with a tower or LT I just pull the drive, backup the data & reset Windows, but with an AIO the teardown is very cumbersome! In this case, it's the usual suspect, an HP TouchSmart.

After researching the forums, youtube, and others, I wondered if there isn't some kind of USB recovery device like HIREN's which is pretty outdated! I'm sure some of the more senior members than me might know of a Linux bootable that would either let me t/s the Auto Repair issue or let me access the files and move them to another drive for backup without all the headaches of a teardown!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

You will still need to disable SecurBoot and possibly enable Legacy/CSM boot in UEFI settings. If you have a Fastboot/Quickboot setting that should also be disabled. On HP computers you can tap Esc at boot and select Legacy Boot of the desired boot device. 

For a linux distro check out Mint Cinnamon. Work great for people moving from Windows. Edit: After booting to the Mint desktop attach a USB external hard drive. For Mint boot to the desktop and click Computer. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_serena_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=237

Another would be UBCD if you can get it to boot. It includes Parted Magic although it is an earlier version. You can download the iso by clicking the hard drive icon, not the mirror link.

For Parted Magic see this guide.

Use Rufus if you want to make a bootable USB flash drive.

Windows 10 computers are read only in linux if the fast start option is enabled as there is a hibernation file in the mix. Also if a Windows Microsoft account was used the files may be encrypted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#3 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

Wow, thanks JohnC_21 ! I'll give it a go & let you know

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

Puppy is useful for recovering personal files from an unresponsive Windows machine.

I wrote a brief account of how a while back ..... https://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=618146#p618146

#5 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

You will still need to disable SecurBoot and possibly enable Legacy/CSM boot in UEFI settings. If you have a Fastboot/Quickboot setting that should also be disabled. On HP computers you can tap Esc at boot and select Legacy Boot of the desired boot device. 

Unfortunately in BOOT options none of this is listed, nor is it listed in the BIOS. USB isn't even an option, only HDD, CD, Floppy, or Network.

Unfortunately in BOOT options none of this is listed, nor is it listed in the BIOS. USB isn't even an option, only HDD, CD, Floppy, or Network.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

What OS was the computer pre-installed with? You may need to burn a DVD or Mint or UBCD instead of using a USB flash drive. What menu do you get when tapping Esc at boot?

#7 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

What OS was the computer pre-installed with? You may need to burn a DVD or Mint or UBCD instead of using a USB flash drive. What menu do you get when tapping Esc at boot?

7, only HDD, CD, Floppy, or Network.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

Even with the USB created by Rufus attached you only get the above options? In that case you will need to burn a DVD instead of a USB flash drive. I am surprised USB is not offered under the Boot section of your UEFI settings.

Edit: I would contact HP support on why this computer cannot boot from a USB and why there is no listing for it in UEFI.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#9 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Yes, going to burn to DVD now & will let you know

#10 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

So I burned a copy of https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=237 to a DVD, loaded it, and 30 minutes later I guess it's still loading. All I see is a string of [1      .                   ] all the way down. Maybe a bad burn from host Harvard? I'm now trying another burn from a diff. host

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:06 AM

Should not take that long. Could be a bad burn or optical drive. Try Gary's suggestion of Puppy linux. The copying is a little different. Once you get to the Puppy Desktop post back if you have any questions. Puppy is only about 300MB.

#12 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Thanks! Got puppy to backup the files, now the AIO won't reset or even factory reset the unit. Just states it has a problem then goes to a blank screen. Thoughts?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

I think your next step would be do use the Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB of Windows 10 and do a clean install now that all the info is backed up. If the USB from the Media Creation Tool does not work then use Rufus with the iso file the Media Creation Tool lets you create. It may be better to download the iso and use Rufus. If using Rufus make sure you select GPT in the dropdown box for the partition scheme.

See this guide on doing a clean install. You want to delete all existing partitions before installing Windows 10. The guide is for 8 but same steps for 10

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

If you can't install Windows 10 then it's could be a hard drive problem. Unfortunately for some reason you could not use UBCD. You may be able to use Rufus with Seatools for DOS iso to check the hard drive.

#14 hateway

hateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

Great! Thanks, 

JohnC_21

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:18 PM

Your Welcome, Just a reminder, when you backed up the data did you also back up any browser favorites or bookmarks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users