Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random crash / restart. windows memory diagnostic report detected hardware err.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 american-cheese

american-cheese

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hello everyone, my laptop has been acting weird lately as it randomly crash / restart. Done some research online and run few scan apparently am getting some errors from windows memory diagnostic indicating some hardware issue. Did memtest86 but not quite understand the report. Not confidence with the situation what's going on, also found some article saying could potentially be driver issue instead of hardware... Not sure what to do next, was hoping could get some advice to track down further to confirm what's the problem.

Thank you.

Hardware:

Machine: Asus G750J

CPU: Intel Quad Core i7-4700HQ, 2.4GHz

RAM: 16gb

GPU: Nvdia GTX770m

When it crashes / restart?

- Browsing

- Streaming video from browser

- avg scanning

- super antispyware scanning

- Running `sfc/scannow` on cmd

Tested done:

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - PASS (attached - TESTRESULTS.TXT)

Windows Memory Diagnostic - FAIL (attached, saved from event viewer)

memtest86 - FAIL (attached memtest86.zip file - memissue.txt, memissue2.txt, memorydiagnostic-results__1102.txt, memorydiagnostic-results__1202.txt)

Also tried update windows and still crashing randomly

Any advices / tips how may these reports give me an adequate answer of the cause of error?

Attached Files

Edited by american-cheese, 19 July 2017 - 05:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

With Windows Memory Diagnostic giving errors and MemTest giving errors - it's likely that you have bad RAM or bad memory slots.

To determine where the problem lies, try running MemTest on a single stick in the first slot (you pick the "first" slot)

Please use proper anti-static precautions when swapping the RAM sticks around (unplug the system from the wall, ground yourself, etc)

Then test the reset of the sticks in the first slot.

If MemTest starts spitting errors, just stop the test and assume that stick is bad.  If it doesn't spit errors, then run MemTest for at least 3 passes on each stick.

Then, take one of the sticks that tested good, and test it in each of the other slots.  That'll tell you if the slots are bad or not.

In short, those sticks that test bad will need to be replaced.

If the slots on the motherboard test bad, you'll either not use them or you'll replace the motherboard.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 american-cheese

american-cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

hello usasma, thank you so much for your attention. I'm actually very curious how accurate are memtest. I've read some article saying that sometimes the report can be inaccurate that might potentially be fixed be driver updates. Some also says that it ran parallel and it might not reliable.

Also i was wondering is there any chances other software / hardware that causing the system failure / crash / restart.

Is there anything else i can do to verify the actual problem?

Any thoughts? Thank you

Edited by american-cheese, 19 July 2017 - 05:37 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

Long story (and I'm running late for work), but tests are just software evaluations of hardware components.
As such, they aren't 100% accurate.

But, as they are the best that we have, we use them to help point us in the right direction.

But, in the end, the only sure fix for a hardware problem is to replace the hardware.

If the problem goes away, then that was the problem.  If it doesn't go away, then you'll have to try something else

IME MemTest86+ is a very accurate test - and I would trust that it has found problems that need to be fixed.

In some cases Prime95's Blend test will find errors where MemTest doesn't - but you don't need that as MemTest did find errors.

I suggest testing the sticks the way that I suggested so you can find out what is actually wrong.

If you don't want to go that route, then the next step is to purchase new RAM, install it, and see if that stops the problems.

I'd suggest if you do that, that you purchase the RAM from a place that:

- will let you return it if you don't need it, and

- will give you a lifetime warranty on the RAM

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 american-cheese

american-cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

thanks asasma, i'll do another scan as suggested see how it goes, will keep you post. thanks, appreciate with your feedback

#6 american-cheese

american-cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:54 AM

i've tried to run the scan again twice with memtest86, 8 pass and it seems frozen each time i check (1 and 1/2 day later) and not moving anymore. Also tried diff CPU config they both freeze with different messages.

1. Parellel / Sequential can't remember, it says "[CPU error] could not start CPU 0"

2. Test: 1 Addr: 5520B800 Expected: 000000005520B800 Actual: 000048005520B800 CPU: 0

cause its frozen so i restart again. Any clues?

i've also try prime95 but it restart before it's finish. It seems i'm getting the restart more lately, plus memtest86 couldn't even finish it's test

Thank you

Edited by american-cheese, 12 August 2017 - 01:13 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

It's most likely the RAM, but you'll need to be sure before you start replacing it.

Try testing the sticks one by one.

Pick a slot and call it slot #1, then test each stick in that slot.

Then test one of the sticks that passes in all of the other slots.

Be sure to use anti-static precautions when swapping the sticks around.

#8 american-cheese

american-cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:42 AM

thanks Usasma,

did swap the sticks and run test separately one was stuck during testing and another work fine.

didn't use any anti-static precautions :-x whoopz.

I think i'll just need to replace the malfunctioning stick that's all.

Was hoping you don't mind i ask. If i use a different brand stick with the same spec would that be any problem? i remembered few years ago someone has told me that do not use different brand sticks cause i'll have some anomaly behaviour such as weird sound ...etc

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

Standard practice suggests using matching sticks for the best performance.
BUT, I don't do this at work and haven't had an issue because of it.

BUT, this will affect warranty repairs - so if it's under warranty, be sure to remove the sticks that aren't on the QVL before getting any warranty service.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users