Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bankotsu

Bankotsu

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:19 AM

I was scanning my computer with Malwarebytes and it was detecting like thousands of objects but then before the scan could complete I got a "blue screen of death."  However after it restarted I have ran the scan multiple times and it's finding nothing now. It found like two objects on one of the scans but that was it. Any info on this would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Interesting situation. Personally, I have never encountered the issue, but I will give you some of my speculations. 

1. Malwarebytes managed to complete the scan and remove them, but you just didn't notice.

2. You actually had a BSOD from overheating or not enough resources to finish the scan and malware has hidden itself (Happens occasionally)

Your best bet would probably be to restart your PC in "Safe mode with networking" and do the following:

1. Install RKill and run it to kill any malicious services.
2. Install any popular antivirus and do a quick scan (Majority of the providers do have free versions of their software). Or just use Windows Defender. It works really well in most cases.
3. Install and scan your PC with Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro.
4. Restart PC in normal mode and do another quick scan with Malwarebytes.

This should confirm or deny your suspicions about potential malware. And after these steps, your PC should be clean. I would personally recommend installing some form of Adblock in your browser, to prevent malicious transfers through ads (Make sure you are supporting your favorite websites). Additionally, I would recommend changing all of the important passwords for you, just in case, your personal information might have been leaked.

#3 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Ok I am having trouble. It's telling me I can't run my antivirus programs while I am in safe mode. Also I can't turn on windows security center service.

Edited by Bankotsu, 18 July 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#4 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

That shouldn't be the case? Have you launched RKill first? What anti-virus programs did you already try to run? Windows Defender should be able to do a regular scan without issues. If not, there is an in-depth guide by MICROSOFT on how to launch your WSCS. Let me know if this helps you with the issue.

#5 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

I started it up in safe mode with networking  then launched RKill and then tried scanning with AVG and Windows defender but it said they both won't start in safe mode.

#6 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

I tried that guide it did not really help

#7 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

You could try Windows Defender online: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc common anti-virus solutions should launch in "Safe mode with networking" In case the antivirus doesn't work, feel free to skip that step and scan with anti-malware. Keep me posted.

#8 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Well It says on that guide that I should not download it using the infected PC and I don't currently have any other PC's.

#9 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:06 AM

Can you run anything in normal mode? All of the steps, but in normal mode? Does what work for you?

Also, If you do not have other options, your best bet would be to try this. Or you can skip the anti-virus all together and just straight up scan using anti-malware. Obviously, installing anything in an infected computer is not the best idea, but sometimes, without alternatives, we have to work with what we have.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

You can also try booting to Safe Mode with Networking
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

then try to do this ESET scan.
  • It is recommended to turn off your antivirus program. Click on the E5rfZI9.png button to see which antivirus is currently enabled:
c4VVzVO.png
  • Turn off your antivirus program. See here how to do this.
  • Check the option beside: Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and make sure that the option Clean threats automatically is NOT checked, and select the following:
Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications
Enable detection of suspicious applications
Scan archives
Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click on the Change button and select only Operating memory, Autostart locations and drive C:\ to be scanned.
yKulboi.jpg
  • Push the dtoGjAL.png button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
8L8IBHJ.png
  • When the scan completes a list of found threats will open automatically (if any malicious files are found).
imxEgHt.png
  • Push thecRhRYZ8.png button and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan.txt. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the 9IjfdXq.png button.
  • Check the box beside RHzfZB1.png to uninstall the application when closed.
  • Push Vc3btaC.png and the close the application clicking the X in upper right corner.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

So far I have run in safe mode RKill, Avira Antivirus, Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro. In normal mode I ran RKill, Avira Antivirus, AVG, Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro. They found nothing. Avira was the only Antivirus program that I could find that partially worked in safe mode.

Edited by Bankotsu, 21 July 2017 - 04:18 AM.

#12 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

I ran the eset scan and it found nothing

#13 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

If that many anti-virus and anti-malware software found nothing, I am pretty certain you are clean now. I assume BSOD's are no longer happening? It seems like your system had a minor hiccup. Let us know if this happens again or if the issue still remains.

#14 Bankotsu

Bankotsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

The BSOD only happened one time which was during the first scan. I am just trying  to figure out what happened to all the things that were detected the first time it was scanned. Do you think it could have just been a problem with Malwarebytes?

#15 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:59 AM

It might have been. Software doesn't work perfectly 100% of the time, so it is only normal that is malfunctions sometimes. If the other and additional scans came clean, you do not need to worry about anything. If it happens again, keep this post updated and we will try going more in-depth as to what was the issue. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users