Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultimate Photoshop downloads dangerous?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bytefright

bytefright

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:51 AM

Hi, I wanted to download Ultimate Photoshop tutorials (included in the magazine Photoshop Tricks, Tips & Fixes) but when I tried to register on the Ultimate Photoshop website a Firefox warning popped up: "Firefox will display a lock icon with red strike-through 2015-11-17-12-13-18-2faa61.png in the address bar when a login page you’re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers."  Does anyone know anything about this? The downloads are zipped. I scanned one with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes but with zero results. Still, I felt uncertain about opening it so deleted the download package and then emptied my Recycle Bin. Any suggestions as to how I proceed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dantose

dantose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

You're misinterpreting the warning. It's saying the connection isn't secure, not that the site hosting something bad. Think of it like sending a letter vs sending a post card. If you send a letter, the message is sealed and remains private. If you send a post card, anyone who happens to be around can read exactly what you wrote. So don't write anything you want to keep secret. 

It's absolutely essential that you NOT use any password you would use anywhere else nor enter any sensitive data. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users