Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shut down, not turning back on (it's not the PSU)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnabruzzi

johnabruzzi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

So I was in the middle of a game of Battlegrounds, when, at the exact moment I clicked to shoot my gun, my computer shut down. I tried turning it back on, but it wouldn't. I unplugged the PSU and re-plugged and still it doesn't turn on.

When I press the computer's power button, the PSU's fans and all of the system's fans (GPU fan, CPU cooler fan, and case fans) will turn on for a split second and then turn back off.

My first guess was that it was the PSU. So I tried using my PSU on another computer, and it worked fine. I also tried another computer's PSU on my computer, and my computer wouldn't turn on. So it can't be the PSU.

I then tried to turn my computer on by shorting the power wire with a screw driver. The PSU made a quiet sound, but nothing moved, not even any of the fans.

Also, the motherboard light turns on (green light, I think it's always green) when the power supply is on.

From here, I'm not sure what I can do to figure out what part it is. Could it be a thermal paste issue? An issue with the MoBo?

What should I do from here?

Edited by johnabruzzi, 17 July 2017 - 09:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

You might try the instructions in the Disassembly section...

http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

#3 meeshu

meeshu

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

Make sure all cables/wires that have to be connected are connected properly.

Make sure the video card and the memory modules are seated firmly.

Check that the CPU is mounted evenly.

If still having issues, then remove video card and try it in another computer, and/or try integrated graphics instead (if have it), and/or try another video card.

If still having issues, try some other memory modules, and/or test the existing memory in another computer.

If still having issues, then remove CPU and check it and its socket for any debris, dirt etc. Remount CPU carefully and evenly.

If still having issues, the motherboard might be faulty. But a final test, test the CPU in another computer, and/or try another known compatible CPU.

#4 johnabruzzi

johnabruzzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have two computers.

Would it be safe to try replacing the parts in the broken computer one by one? For example, swap the CPU, if it still doesn't work, put the original CPU back in and try swapping the RAM, etc, until the computer turns on?

Edited by johnabruzzi, 18 July 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

No one can really answer your 'parts swap' question without knowing specs of both, as obviously, some processors (AMD vs. Intel, multiple sockets, generations, etc..) and memory (DDR2/3/4) are not compatible with particular motherboards.. 

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

I then tried to turn my computer on by shorting the power wire with a screw driver. The PSU made a quiet sound,

That isn't a very smart thing to do :nono: as that could actually create another problem.

Sounds to me like a motherboard component failure since the fans spin up and then stop.

I know I mention checking for swollen capacitors a lot it is a very common occurrence.

I recap a lot of motherboards for a local computer shop and I see it quite often.

Go to the link and expand the photo and you can see the swollen capacitors by the power connector.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/MicroATX_Motherboard_with_AMD_Athlon_Processor_Digon3.jpg

Edited by The-Toolman, 18 July 2017 - 08:32 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users