Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most influential tech company of all time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Which do you think is the most influential company in the business of tech solely among the biggest 5 companies that have ever existed in this sector, each of which worth about or more than half a trillion dollars in terms of market capitalization?

Apple

Microsoft

Google

Amazon

Facebook:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Aren't they all in different sectors?

It's hard to compare them. :scratchhead:

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

Yes, but they are the 5 all-time largest companies in the anything computers-related business, so I was just curious as to see what your opinions are of which of them is the most defining firm in your view.:)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

JOQ:  Actually, in this case, you're really asking for an apples and oranges comparison.

Apple and Microsoft are one group

Google, Facebook, and Amazon are each sui generis and have very little relationship to each other or the previously mentioned group of two.

All of these companies have been hugely influential but in very distinctly different ways and, with the exception of Apple and Microsoft, in largely non-overlapping arenas.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

I would have said Microsoft and Apple were quite distinct britechguy. Microsoft creating/developing OS's and corporate software and Apple being primarily a hardware manufacturer.

The fact that Apple raised a Linux/Unix child to run on their hardware doesn't give them the OS creator status really imho.

#6 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,591 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:15 AM

The two I thought of were Neanderthal Wheels, Inc. and the Cro-Magnon Fire Corporation.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

I would have said Microsoft and Apple were quite distinct britechguy. Microsoft creating/developing OS's and corporate software and Apple being primarily a hardware manufacturer.

The fact that Apple raised a Linux/Unix child to run on their hardware doesn't give them the OS creator status really imho.

That's an entirely legitimate point to argue and only adds "bananas" to the "apples vs. oranges vs. strawberries vs. guavas" nature of that list.  While all fall under the very broad umbrella of computing/technology related firms the actual areas they were/are the leaders in are quite distinct and the kinds of influence they have quite different.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hey, thanks for your responses, guys!:)

The two I thought of were Neanderthal Wheels, Inc. and the Cro-Magnon Fire Corporation.

I actually googled that and was scratching my head for solid 2 minutes until I figured out what you meant...:lmao:

not_a_smart_man_forrest_gump.gif

Also, it's interesting to note that all those 5 companies have relatively good alternatives in case they never came to be, so none of them would super-drastically change our lifestyles if it hadn't existed:

Apple - IBM

Microsoft - Unix (I guess. My knowledge of the OSs landscape in the 1980s era is limited)

Google - Yahoo

Amazon - Ebay

Facebook - Myspace

#9 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

I think it is Google. Also in the future to come they'll have an edge since they have most market share right now and they have a huge play ground. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users