Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Alert *.btrll.com only affecting one program.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Prozac+1

Prozac+1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hi everyone, I got a security alert in Windows 7 starting about a week ago.  I viewed the certificate and it showed the *.btrll.com ad/malware.

It only appears on 1 instant messaging program I use called Viber.  It's not too popular in the US but it's big in  Europe.  Anyway I've been using it for an entire year, flawless.  But about 2 months ago Viber implemented small ads on the bottom  left corner. 

I had no problems until  this one ad appeared a few days ago.  The ad shows a black dog playing in the snow with its owner.  As soon as this ad appears,  the security alerts quickly begin popping up.  I have to close each one, about 20 to 30 instances. The ad is a recurring part of a loop of ads.  Once it switches to the next ad everything is fine.

So far I've run Malwarbytes, AdwCleaner, Adware Removal Tool, Spybot S&D but nothing has removed it.  I use Chrome for my browser for many years.  That's all I can think of.  I would be very grateful for any help that the staff or members of bleepingcomputer.com would provide.

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

It's Yahoo's advertising firm Brightroll...this has been an off and on issue for a while.

Download and run AdwCleaner -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Download and run Junkware Removal Tool -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Create a System Restore point first.

#3 AK907

AK907

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

I had this issue up until yesterday on Windows 7 Pro. I opened my Google homepage using IE 11 and then went to MSN.com. Only on MSN.com did I see the btrll.com certificate boxes popping up all over the screen. After running Webroot's Secure Anywhere antivirus program and System Mechanic Pro I came up empty. I searched through my programs in the control panel for any suspicious programs and the task manager for any unusual processes. I also did a thorough search through the registry and found nothing. I then went to view my certificates in the MMC Console. 1) Open a Command Prompt window. 2)Type mmc and press the ENTER key. Note that to view certificates in the local machine store, you must be in the Administrator role. 3) On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap In. 4) Click Add. 5) In the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box, select Certificates. 6) Click Add. 7) In the Certificates snap-in dialog box, select Computer account and click Next. Optionally, you can select My User account or Service account. If you are not an administrator of the computer, you can manage certificates only for your user account. 8) In the Select Computer dialog box, click Finish. 9) In the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box, click Close. 10) On the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box, click OK. 11) In the Console Root window, click Certificates (Local Computer) to view the certificate stores for the computer. 12) Optional. To view certificates for your account, repeat steps 3 to 6. In step 7, instead of selecting Computer account, click My User account and repeat steps 8 to 10. 13) Optional. On the File menu, click Save or Save As. Save the console file for later reuse. I reviewed all certificates and found nothing that matched the btrll.com certificate that popped up many times on MSN. I then went on IE 11 settings and clicked on "Manage Add-ons" I still found nothing. I also searched many websites and found nothing to help. It seemed there were many inconsistent answers. Then it occurred to me that about 3 weeks ago as I was logged into my Google account I discovered a link that said "VIsit add choices that said "Turn off ads personalization for the Google ads you see when you are on one of the 2+ million websites that partner with Google and for 100+ other online ad networks". So I clicked on it ad opted out of about 140 companies that were sending me constant adds. The next day there were 7 more companies that popped up sending me adds and ran the opt out again. It was after that I started seeing the btrll.com certificate issue. Then I opened up IE 11, internet options, under the general tab I clicked settings under browsing history and then view files. I found a btrll.com cookie and manually deleted it. I had previously ran my cookie cleaning program, deleted cookies on browser exit which didn't clean the btrll cookie for some reason, but after manually deleting it I rebooted my computer and the problem went away. No more pop up boxes and the MSN site is no longer bogged down and crashing. I don't know how helpful this is to you as you use a different browser but Google and Chrome are related. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users