Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting a SDXC Card in a Samsung Galaxy S5? Is exFAT used?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

This is my first post!  :-)

I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card to use in my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B013UDL58E

I plan on using this for data storage, and to access on my PC using a USB 2 cable.  The card is pre-formatted as exFAT:

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/312/~/formatting-a-memory-card%2C-flash-drive-or-device-using-a-pc

With this in mind, just a couple of quick questions:

1) Are there any advantages/disadvantages of formatting the card using the phone's format option, or just use "as is"?

2) If I use the phone's format option on the card, what format will the card be formatted in?  Will it still use exFAT, or some other format (FAT32, ext4, NTFS etc.)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

I should add that my phone runs Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow).

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

All I can tell you is that I have never formatted a microSD card for any Android device since they're ready to use "out of the wrapping".

I would presume that the format is something that Windows recognizes as well, since they can be used "out of the wrapping" on a Windows system as well.  The MicroSD card in my PC at the moment is formatted FAT32.

Addendum:  The 32GB card that I just popped out of my S7 is FAT32 as well.

Edited by britechguy, 17 July 2017 - 05:58 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for your reply.  I decided to just use the SD card as it is (without formatting myself) - everything has been working fine.  Also, when connecting the phone/SD card to the PC for data transfer, MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is used - so the PC does not actually know what file system is being used.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

You're welcome.

One thing I can tell you is that if you have massive quantities of data to transfer to the card it is much faster to use a micro-to-standard SD adapter and put the card directly in the SD card slot on the computer.  It's almost impossible to describe how much faster when you're transferring hundreds or thousands of MP3 files at one time.

Virtually every phone I've owned has some warning or another about not transferring music, photos, etc., directly to the card (or from the card) using the computer.  I have ignored this for years with absolutely no ill effect.  Logic dictates this cannot matter.  An MP3 file is an MP3 file on any medium it's stored on no matter how it got there and if the card is accessible by Android and by Windows then both can work with the file system that the card came formatted with.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for those tips.  My PC does not have an SD card slot, so I'm using the USB cable, which works fine.  In my case I am only likely to be transferring a small number of files occasionally.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

You're quite welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users