Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going To Try One More Time.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolling2live

rolling2live

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

I have posted this once before a while ago, and didn't seem to get any answers. im still trying to figure this out, and so far not one person has been able to help.

Ok. Whenever i play CS or TFC (both on Steam) i will be in a game for maybe 5-10 minutes on average, and get dissconnected with this error message "Client Timed out While Answering Challenge"

I have searched the Steam forums about this, and it seems like many other people are getting it as well. yet no one knows how to fix it and/or why this happens.

I have had the same ISP for over a year now, and never had a problem with CS or TFC until just a few months ago. My connection seems to be stable and i have no firewalls running, or at least that i am aware of..
Im also using a NetGear Router, 54mbps, and the signal strength says Excellent.

Any kind of help or suggestions would be great once again. i have tried Re-installing Steam, and the games. nothing seems to work. i have also Re-installed my router and drivers more than once. still nothing :thumbsup:

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

I get that too. I don't know what it actually is though. I've always been in CZ when its happened.

I'm living in the dorms here for about 3-4 weeks now and I've been noticing that it has been happening lately. Though I don't think I've ever had this problem while I've been at home so I've just blammed the internet here.

#3 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

I have never seen that particular error message, but here are my first few thoughts:

For one, if possible, I would always try gaming on a network cable rather than via wireless. Your connection will be faster, smoother, and more stable; your pings will also be lower. Even if the signal strength is good, you will still have at least some packet loss and possible interference.

Do you notice the problem on some servers but not others? High pings, and of course lags from packet loss, often trigger servers to drop players. Could be something along those lines.

However, if you switch to a line and still have the same problem, perhaps it's a client-side issue? Just to be sure, you might try uninstalling STEAM, deleting the folders, and making a fresh install.

Edited by locally pwned, 13 September 2006 - 12:38 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#4 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:15 PM

i have tried to un install, delete all folders and re install many times. still nothing. and i can't hook it up directly to the cable modem becuase its on a different floor of my house.. Sometimes it wont happen at all for hours, but other times it will happen every 5 minutes. and it ususally happens on every server, i don't remember the last time it didnt happen. my ping is never over 40, which i think it pretty good? so i don't think that is the issue either. Thanks for your help. i might try to re install once again tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users