Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Creators Update cuts support for some Intel PCs early

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Welcome to Windows 10 as a service.  Hey, there's always linux.

This debacle shines a light on an unclear clause in Windows 10’s support policy. “This is more than a one-time upgrade,” Windows chief Terry Myerson wrote in the blog post introducing Windows 10. “Once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.” (Emphasis added.)

What the heck does that mean?

As Ed Bott points out in his ZDNet article, Microsoft’s Windows lifecycle support page includes a footnote that clarifies the policy. Well, kind of. Not really.

“A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period.”

Microsoft’s policy is frightfully unclear. If heavily hyped devices a mere three or four years old can be kicked off the support bandwagon less than a year after the free Windows 10 upgrade ended, it certainly seems plausible that other hardware could be quietly dumped in the future—especially if it wasn’t designed for Windows 10 specifically. Fingers crossed this is more of a one-off occurrence. Google, by comparison, has an end-of-life policy for Chromebooks after five years, with the vague suggestion that the company may support a device for longer. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3208076/windows/windows-10-is-no-longer-supported-on-this-pc-error-clover-trail-atom.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

The only "debacle" I see here is the stupidity of the error message being given.

It has been, or should have been, well known that certain hardware will only support "the latest" version of Windows 10 for so long.   Over time there will be changes to Windows 10 that make older hardware unsupported for the latest version.  The immediately prior versions, as are noted in this article, are maintained for a year and a half after the introduction of their successors.

I really don't see how this is all that different than hardware that couldn't be upgraded to Windows 10 in the first place.  You know that your hardware itself probably has a life that is longer than the OS that it came with.  Eventually you change hardware to keep up with the latest OS or you switch to Linux, which is about the only OS that is, by design, intended to run on some really old hardware as well as the latest and greatest.

This is yet another example of people paying no attention to the world around them as it has existed for decades now.  I have an Acer laptop still running Windows XP (intentionally and not online) that came with it.  Would I be justified in being upset if that machine were "no longer supported" for the latest Windows 10 even if it had been for versions up to now?   I don't think so.  That machine is *well* past its expiration date as far as being viable with contemporary OSes that do not have backward compatibility "since dirt" designed in, and most [including Linux, by the way] don't.  32-bit support is clearly on its way out the door for all OS makers.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

You could revert back to Windows 8.1 which supports the hardware until 2023, a full 6 years from now.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 July 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

I agree with JohnC_21

If you have an older pc, Linux does make operating systems specifically for that niche. There are several distro's designed just for an older pc and Linux has become much more user friendly, it's getting easier to switch over all the time

Microsoft is still ignorant to what peeps want and need... but that's just normal for M$

Edit: britechguy, how much does M$ pay you to promote Windows 10 on this forum?

Edited by Joe C, 17 July 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:21 PM

Joe C,

I am expressing my opinion, which is directly connected to my now over 30 years in the field of computing.  It applies to far more than just Microsoft.

No hardware will be supported forever.  To expect that is, to put it mildly, ridiculous.  

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

I agree with JohnC_21

If you have an older pc, Linux does make operating systems specifically for that niche. There are several distro's designed just for an older pc and Linux has become much more user friendly, it's getting easier to switch over all the time

Microsoft is still ignorant to what peeps want and need... but that's just normal for M$

Edit: britechguy, how much does M$ pay you to promote Windows 10 on this forum?

How much does The Linux Foundation pay you?

Get over yourself.

Edited by jwoods301, 17 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

I have a old emachines T3025 from 2004 booting Ubuntu 16.04 with support till 2021 and unlike Windows 10 as a service I know it will be supported until 2021 just like I know Windows 7 will support my hardware till 2020 and Windows 8.1 till 2023. 

Ubuntu 16.04 still supports my 2004 lexmark printer also. Just saying it pays to look at alternatives if you lost support using Windows.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

I have nothing against Linux, in any of its "flavors," and have a Dell Inspiron 1720 that I have running Linux Mint, though I haven't used it much.

Linux is, and always has been, better about supporting "old hardware" since that's what a lot of the original maintainers of the OS had as a goal.  That's still true, but not nearly so true as it was "way back when."

The fact, and it is a fact, remains that no hardware will be perpetually supported by any OS that currently supports it.  Eventually it makes no sense to even attempt to do so, as there is not enough of a user base for "ancient equipment" to justify the cost to maintain backward compatibility.  'Twas ever thus . . .

Those who wish to deny the preceding observations can feel free to do so.  It won't change the facts.

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

It's a matter of opinion as to what one would think "old" and "outdated" means.

I had an i7 2600K till just this spring before I updated my system, I personally think an i7 2600K should last more than just a "few" (2-3)  years. Many people build their own systems and they ought get their support more than some cheap off the shelf pc that only is designed by the manufacture to last 3 yrs tops (no upgrade possibilities).

How much does The Linux Foundation pay you?

Get over yourself.

I could do without negative comments from the M$ peanut gallery, if you have a comment to make, then make one that would be helpful to support your opinion

Edited by Joe C, 17 July 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

“A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period.

This has been misinterpreted ad nauseum...

Seems pretty clear that systems don't just get a kill switch.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts".

~ Daniel Patrick Moynihan

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts".

~ Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Opinions are like backsides, everybody has one

-unknown

“A device needs to install the latest update to remain supported. Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (“OEM”) support period.

This applies only to OEM's?

As JohnC_21 started this post, who decides on custom built pc's?

Should M$ be the one's to decide that an i7 2600K is out of date?

#12 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

Microsoft has already made the decision that all Ryzen, Kaby Lake and the newer Qualcom cpu's will only support Windows 10. These processors can run Windows 7/8/8.1 but Microsoft sez no!

Now M$ want to dictate how long you can have "their" pc before you must buy a new one. I think this is another method of forcing John Q Public into using only Windows 10.

Microsoft 365 Business will be priced at $20 per user, per month.

The company's move towards a subscription-based model also explains the rumors from last week that Microsoft was getting ready to fire thousands of employees from its sales departments.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-to-bundle-office-with-windows-into-new-microsoft-365-service/

How long will it be before M$ starts pricing for Windows 10 Home edition on a subscription basis?

It's strong arm tactics like this that will hurt M$ in the long run

Edited by Joe C, 17 July 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

It's strong arm tactics like this that will hurt M$ in the long run

Then let it.  That's what the market is all about.  Microsoft has seemed to do pretty well in the market over a period of many decades now.  Whether you, or I, or anyone else likes what they're doing is really not relevant.   They get to choose what they wish to do and we, the buying public, get to vote with our dollars.

The embedded base that they have, however, is like a massive ocean going ship - it isn't going to turn on a dime - and they know that, too.

#14 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

I know, and after Mrs.C retires (teacher) and Windows 7 retires, I probably will retire too, (in that order) and load a Linux distro on all our pc's and will never look back

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

I know, and after Mrs.C retires (teacher) and Windows 7 retires, I probably will retire too, (in that order) and load a Linux distro on all our pc's and will never look back

We can all hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users