Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Card Reader stopped working on my Dell XPS 8900 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sleepy24siete

sleepy24siete

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

I'm running Windows 10, it was working fine, but all of a sudden stop working and I read a bunch of things to do by just searching on Google.  At first I was getting a drive f directory name is invalid and after moving a bunch of things after reading those google post, the drives that were part of the card readers now just read the letters and it now says USB drive and it looks like it hidden like transparent please help ?

Edited by sleepy24siete, 16 July 2017 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:50 PM

The first thing to do is to go into Device manager and see (1) if the card reader is listed there, and, (2) see if it has a yellow exclamation mark or a red cross against it.

If it is listed but has either mark against it double click on it to bring up its Properties panel. then click on the Drivers tab and then 'Uninstall drivers'. If yu get an option to delete the drivers do NOT delete them, you just want to uninstall them. Then back out and re-boot the computer. When it re-boots the drivers should re-install themselves. See if your card reader is now working.

If you cannot get the card reader to work this way you can always use an external USB card reader. These are available to read everything from MicroSD all the way up to the now obsolete 'Compact Flash' and usually a combination of different sizes. These are quite cheap and fairly widely available, you may even find them in the larger supermarkets.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users