Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC automatically restarts when gaming and randomly

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Linkwin

Linkwin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

Been dealing with this problem about a year now, here's the run down: The computer automatically restarts seemingly sporadically. Though I have started to notice a few patterns.
1 - if I leave the psu switch off for an extended period of time it seems to run stably for longer, can play games normally.
2 - if I do not leave the psu switch off in between sessions it restarts much sooner after boot and more frequently
3 - I cannot get a blue screen to appear (yes I've unchecked auto restart in system settings).
4 - I can run stress tests for A long time and no restarts occur but when I start a game it crashes within a couple mins.

PC Specs

Asus m5a97 r2.0 replaced with asrock 970 pro3 r2.0 3 days ago
Amd radeon 7870
Amd FX6350
Viper xtream 1600 ddr3
Evga super nova nex650g

Tshooting steps performed:
- removed all unecessary hardware
- re install Windows and drivers
- reinstall windows and drivers on a new drive
- swap gpu
- check psu voltages
- replace mobo
- ran memtest all night, everything good
- check temps all good
- ran furmark for 30 min no problem
- ran cpu burn on furmark while running furmark, no restart

Further details:
The computer is about 4 years old, pretty lightly used on average. I blew a power supply a couple years ago and replaced it with what's listed. I also upgraded the case a couple years ago. I just recently was able to start buying parts to swap. About 6 mo ago I concluded the problem is an over loaded cap in the mobo or psu, or the cpu is going bad. So I swapped the mobo, no change, now I have a cpu fan and psu on the way.

Here's an example from the other night:
My wife played sims 3 for A solid 4 hours the other night (before mobo replacement), however she tried playing twice before that and it restarted about 10-15 min into game. Further, after she played for 4 hours I left it on all night updating a game, I woke up in the middle of the night to it stuck in a reboot loop.

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2017 - 05:01 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:16 AM

It seems I can coax it into running a game by warming up the components. I can recreate the problem if I start a game right after a restart, then it usually restarts while loading the game. If I 'warm' the components with furmark first it will usually let me start a game and run it for a while, however if anything hiccups in the game or an abrupt scene change happens or I alt+tab back and forth it restarts. I have also noticed when not gaming if I am multitasking the restarts don't happen as frequently if at all.

For example:

I had a bunch of programs running like hw monitor and msi afterburner while i started a back up. Left these running all night with no problem. But the other day it got stuck in a reboot loop in the middle of the night while I was just updating star citizen.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

If this is a desktop I would suggest using a multimeter with a DC scale to read the 3.5V, 5V, and 12V rails. 

With the power off  using the on/off switch on the back of the PSU.  If you can't find this unplug the power cord from the wall receptacle.  Open the case and touch the metal of the case to discharge the static electricity in you body.

Locate the PSU 24-pin connector on the motherboard and disconnect it from the motherboard.

Set the voltmeter to the DC scale with a voltage setting of ~20VDC, no lower than 15VDC.

The voltages should be as follows.

Orange +3.3VDC

Red +5VDC

Yellow +12VDC

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

To read these voltages insert the black probe in any black socket of the 24-pin connector and the red probe in the three different rail voltages listed above.

In order to turn the PSU on you will need to place a jumper between the Green wire in the 24-pin bundle and any Black wire. 

When you are ready to test the PSU turn on the PSU or plug the power cord back into its receptacle. 

If you do not have or do not know how to use a voltmeter you can purchase a PSU tester for anywhere from $10. to $30. US dollars.  This connects to the 24-pin connector and will have either a LED display for pass/fail or a LCD display which will show the voltages.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply! Like I said in the OP I checked the voltages a while back, but I will check again and post results. At this point I'm ready to start from square 1 again.

One problem I had doing that last time was my psu cable conductors are all solid black, could you tell me the pin out numbers instead?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,046 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Can you post an image of these conductors.  Something doesn't sound right.  Each voltage + and - have a different color.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Didn't know how to attach file, here's a link to it

https://drive.google.com/a/allteksystemsdesign.com/file/d/0B7HXznDaqSmYd2lHcklMRXMzcVU/view?usp=drivesdk

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,046 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Try hosting the image at dropbox

I don't do Google... period.

#8 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

Interesting... Here ya go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6v1oumn0qw0amm/20170717_144844.jpg?dl=0

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

System restarts under a heavy gaming load load----

1. Put in known good PSU of more than sufficient wattage...

If problem resolved, we are done....measurement of precise voltages up to brownout would not really be ' overly helpful', as because system is resetting, we know something is amiss. As a short anywhere would assuredly cause voltage(s) to drop, it does not mean the supply is low, but, something could be shorting the voltage lower. IMO....

1. PSU

2. GPU

3. MB

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

It's not consistently under heavy game load that it crashes, that's the wierd part. Sometimes games run fine for hours. The 650w should be more than enough. However I have a 750 on the way, it'll be here tomorrow, so i'll see if that fixes it.

My thought is overloaded cap in PSU.
Only other hardware problem could be cpu anyone know if the issue can occur with bad cpu core? Or damaged cache? Do cpu stress tests rule those out?

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

I think running Furmark and a CPU stress test at the same time (as you mentioned in initial post) will put heavier load on the system, and draw more power than a typical game, as these tests are designed to load components up to the maximum.  Games typically don't do this most of the time.  If it's not crashing under these conditions, power issues while not ruled out would be lower down the suspect list IMO.

It's not consistently under heavy game load that it crashes, that's the wierd part. Sometimes games run fine for hours. The 650w should be more than enough. However I have a 750 on the way, it'll be here tomorrow, so i'll see if that fixes it.

My thought is overloaded cap in PSU.
Only other hardware problem could be cpu anyone know if the issue can occur with bad cpu core? Or damaged cache? Do cpu stress tests rule those out?

Stress tests like Prime 95 check the results of the calculated values (it calculates extremely large prime numbers or something), and IIRC the "gold standard" of stability used to be "24 hour Prime stable" on the blend test.  I can't comment on Furmarks CPU burn test.  From my recollection, on a system where memory or CPU stability was suspect, Prime 95 would usually start showing errors within a few hours.  In very unstable systems it would lock up or cause the system to reboot during the test...

On Furmark something to check is not just that it runs, but also keep an eye out for any weird artefacts which could indicate GPU hardware problems .

#12 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Good advice on furmark artefacts, but I've already ruled out gpu. I ran prime 95 a while back don't remember exact results. I'll give it another shot if psu's not the problem.

Anyway, other things left in the table:
-case fans?
-cpu fan?
-front panel usb ports
-short in power button wire!?
- and case shorts, but unlikly

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,046 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

Click on File which is in the upper left portion of the screen, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

In the next image click on Yes.

In the last image click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#14 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

All that is in OP, it's custom built. I replaced power supply yesterday and it seems to be running more stable, I'll report back in a couple days.

Any idea what could have gone wrong with it? Just manufacturing defect? I work with electronics for A living and like to think about what the root cause is just simply for the knowledge and experience rather than the age old 'well it works so that's all that matters'.

Well I ramble on a bit, thanks for all the replies!! Anyone who would like to discuss further is welcome to.

BTW: found out old gpu still under warranty so getting replacement :)

#15 Linkwin

Linkwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Well, the issue is not resolved, seemed fine the rest of this week, I played a couple games and browsed internet, started updating everything. But today when I left it running updating star citizen while I left the house. Came home to it on windows login. Then it happened again when I went to pull up event viewer. All that's in event viewer (when I got It to open) was a kernal power error and unexpected shut down. Will post more details later.

A couple more points of interest:
- I noticed last night that it was only recognizing 1 stick of ram (in windows and bios). Reseated, didn't help. Moved one stick to different slot and it registered.
- just finished doing lots of windows updates and updating drivers.

Looking forward:
-will download aspect and post results as dc3 suggested.
-started memtest86+ when I left the house about 7 hours ago will post result when I get home
-will run prime95 for extended period tomorrow

Please help, I am desperate, this issue is making me crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users