Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White mark on part inside PC?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 faye raye

faye raye

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hello. My PC currently has an amber light when I turn it on, and unresponsive monitor. I had another thread for it here, but there's something inside that I can't tell if it's normal or not.

It's a Dell Inspiron 3646.Dell-Inspiron-3646Intel2.58GHz-1.jpgd910c5ce-1904-43be-938c-84efd200b69e.jpg
The part I mean is this tiny sd-card-like one right to the side of the coin battery-like thing. I tried to get a picture:

8xldo9.jpg

It appears to have a tiny round hole and some white film-like stuff on it. Is this normal or could it be burnt or something?

Edited by faye raye, 16 July 2017 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

You need to take a clearer image. I can't make out anything.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

See if this is your motherboard...if so...you can compare what is in that image from https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/HOT-For-DELL-Inspiron-3646-Motherboard-0KXN37-KXN37-14003-1-System-Mainboard-100-tested-very-well/32422013576.html#  to yours to determine if what you are seeing is damaged.

I tried to get a good screenshot but is a bit tricky on that site...as you will see. You can Zoom in on the image at the website in link above.

r421cfN.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

If you are looking at the black object with eight legs to the right of the CR2032 battery in buddy215's image or even the similar white object, also with eight legs, below it these are integrated cicuits (also known as ICs or chips). All ICs are marked so they can be orientated correctly. Sometimes the marker is a semi-circular cut-out at one end of the IC, sometimes a small hole - like somebody started drilling with a very small drill but didn't go all the way through. These marks show which is Pin 1, vital for the correct orientation of the IC. The white, if I am interpreting your image correctly, could be anything up to and including a stray blob of heat sink compound.

The holes I have described are meant to be there and they are neatly machined. If you have a 'melted' or 'ragged' looking hole in an IC you are looking at an IC which has suffered catastrophic failure - a rare event.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

See if this is your motherboard...if so...you can compare what is in that image from https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/HOT-For-DELL-Inspiron-3646-Motherboard-0KXN37-KXN37-14003-1-System-Mainboard-100-tested-very-well/32422013576.html#  to yours to determine if what you are seeing is damaged.

Yes, that's the part. The only difference is that one doesn't have any white on it.

ll ICs are marked so they can be orientated correctly. Sometimes the marker is a semi-circular cut-out at one end of the IC, sometimes a small hole - like somebody started drilling with a very small drill but didn't go all the way through. These marks show which is Pin 1, vital for the correct orientation of the IC. The white, if I am interpreting your image correctly, could be anything up to and including a stray blob of heat sink compound.

The holes I have described are meant to be there and they are neatly machined. If you have a 'melted' or 'ragged' looking hole in an IC you are looking at an IC which has suffered catastrophic failure - a rare event.

Hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

Chris Cosgrove

The hole on mine does look neat, and now I see identical ones on other parts. 

Thanks for clearing this up.

#6 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

Someone has told me that they read about someone having a similar issue that turned out to have to do with the CR2032 battery. Could that be?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

Possible but unlikely, I have never known one leak even when stone dead. To my knowledge all computers have one of these batteries in them, the most common type being the CR2032 as used here and they are usually referred to as the 'CMOS battery'

Usually a computer will carry on running when one of these batteries goes flat although I have run into one laptop that wouldn't boot with a flat one. You will usually get problems though - the date and time will be wrong, you will get warnings about invalid certificates (because the date and time are wrong), and you may have to set the date and time in BIOS before the computer will boot. The cure for all thesse problems is a new CMOS battery and, at least on desktops, they are seldom difficult to get at.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:03 PM

Oh, sorry for not being clearer, I meant that the battery could be the cause of this whole issue.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

These batteries can be the cause of many strange problems when they die - the ones I mentioned are only the most common effects. They are widely available, the CR2032 is the most common and costs about €1, plus or minus a bit depending on the supplier, each.

If it has been in the computer for more than a couuple of years it is almost certainly worth replacing.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

I just replaced a cmos battery and the only warning I received was "CMOS Date/Time Not Set".

Removed the side cover and replaced battery and reset the bios and reset the clock and all was well.

When I checked the voltage with my multi-meter it was only showing 942mv.

Amazing that I never saw any errors until it reached that low of a voltage level although I only restart my computer after an update or adding new software packages.

Damn those old Windows habits still seem to appear after 2.5 years of leaving Windows OS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would check with a known good working cable between monitor and computer and then with a working known good monitor.

If problem still exist  than start looking for swollen tops on the capacitors.

Your computer with or without an OS installed should be able to post and be able to go into the bios screen so I doubt it is an OS problem.

Also a failing power supply or a failed power supply could cause this.

The amber light is a good sign of a hardware problem based on my own experience.

To many times I have seen computers fail from the user not using any kind of SURGE PROTECTION or BATTERY BACKUP from a power surge or power failure.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

If it has been in the computer for more than a couuple of years it is almost certainly worth replacing.

Chris Cosgrove

The PC is only two years old. Would replacing it or even just the act of taking it out cause any data to be lost?

Edited by faye raye, 19 July 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#12 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

I just replaced a cmos battery and the only warning I received was "CMOS Date/Time Not Set".

Mine had no issues with the date or time.

Also a failing power supply or a failed power supply could cause this.
The amber light is a good sign of a hardware problem based on my own experience.
To many times I have seen computers fail from the user not using any kind of SURGE PROTECTION or BATTERY BACKUP from a power surge or power failure.

This computer has been shut down or restarted maybe about four times by the power surges. I thought it would be fine because it was plugged into a new power strip- I didn't know there was a difference between power strip and surge protecter.

The thing that I find odd about this issue, though, is that it was fine for so long- it had been months since a power flicker shut the PC down- and it never acted odd after any of the other times, either. It started with someone accidently hitting the 'moon' sleep button on the keyboard, and it could only be woken up by sitting overnight unplugged, then just trying multiple times to turn it back on the next day. It got 'stuck' another time like this, but I continued to think it was a sleep mode issue because it was fine before and after.

This time, it was auto-restarted for updates, and once it shut down it would not turn back on. The oddest thing it had done before this is that the words in the Firefox browser were disappearing and you had to highlight to see them, but I think that might have been 'fatigue' from the PC being on for several weeks straight.

As of now, I noticed that the keyboard doesn't light when the PC is on, the light on the power supply is green, and of course the steady amber light.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

Mine had no issues with the date or time.

This computer has been shut down or restarted maybe about four times by the power surges. I thought it would be fine because it was plugged into a new power strip- I didn't know there was a difference between power strip and surge protecter.

Perhaps these will explain the difference.

https://repairdaily.com/power-strips-vs-surge-protector-differences/

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/home/surge-protector1.htm

https://www.tripplite.com/products/surge-buying-guide

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Bottom line is that more than likely the motherboard is blown so another desktop computer is what you need.

All you need based on the one you show in the post is a basic standard computer and those can be had anywhere at a very reasonable price $200.00 / $300.00 depends on where you shop.

Refurbished ones for $125.00 / $175.00 on Newegg.

I wouldn't take it in anywhere as they will just rip you off for a big pile of money.

I would just buy another computer and buy a battery backup for $35.00 / $50.00 or a good surge protector for $25.00 / $35.00 so this doesn't happen again.

This is only my opinion and thoughts.

#15 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

Thanks. I was really hoping there was some way it could be fixed as I am not in such a good place financially and really need this computer. It doesn't sound as though it's not an issue with sleep mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users