Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen and rare crashes - Can't really tell whats going on..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 amecurty

amecurty

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hello! :)

Unfortunately I am back with a new problem :(.. and seeking for some much appreciated guidance.

So here's the problem..

Lately pretty much every time a turn on my pc, the screen does not turn on. It stays completely black with no signal.

I know it goes all the way to desktop because I can login without having to see the screen and I can even turn the computer off using the normal method because I also know the key sequence to turn it off (windows key - tab - 6 down - enter - 1 down - enter) and the computer goes off.

If I turn it on again.. the screen will stay black again. The only method that works is:

disconnect the power cable - turn it sideways and open it up - look at the insides with a very menacing and desperate look - sometimes touch the pcie cable of my gpu to make sure it's well placed - reconnect the power cable - turn the pc on - and voila the screen comes back to life.

Sometimes when I try to turn in upwards after seeing that it is working fine and with the pc still on, it crashes and restarts but comes back on with everything still working.

Also, on very few occasions (very very rare!) while playing (only happened during Overwatch) or browsing, it restarts on its own but there is no bluescreen nor error of any kind displayed. I have a software called WhoCrashed and there is no blue screen logs or anything.

Lately I have also noticed that sometimes the computer takes longer to make the mobo beep sound right after I turn it on.

Side note: It used to be OCed but not anymore and it already wasn't before these problems started happening. 

My build:

Intel i5 2500K 3.30GHz
Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
Geforce GTX 970
Corsair TX 750W v2
SDD 250GB Crucial MX100+HDD 1TB Samsung HD103SJ
Win10 Pro 64bits
2x4GB DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 CL11 G-Skill

1x8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 CL10 G-Skill
Cryorig h5 cooler
pen usb wireless asus n-53 

Any thought on this will be very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

So, you can operate the computer without a display.

That says to me that it's likely to be a problem with the:

- video card

- cable from computer to monitor

- monitor

Do you have another monitor and cable that you can try?

Does the computer have another way of putting out video (another plug - VGA/DVI/HDMI/etc)?  If so, can you try one of the other plugs?

Do you have a spare video card, or one that you can borrow, in order to see if it's the video card that is the problem?

Edited by usasma, 16 July 2017 - 10:05 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for replying!

I think the problem is not in the monitor or its cable simply because every time it gets fixed I did not check that cable or the monitor connection and since sometimes the computer restarts on its own I really think that it can't be the culprit.

I really believe it might be something related to the gpu because I am getting fps drops in games that I shouldn't be having with this gpu. For instance, just now, after the initial post I started an overwatch match and right from the start I was getting fps drops 30-50 when it usually stays at 70. It was almost unbearable so after that match I restarted my computer and the monitor went black again. Shut it down using the normal method and did the exact same thing as I mentioned in the first post (power cable off - turned it sideways - etc..) and then turned it on and boom.. screen comes on. Started a new game and perfect 70fps all the way.

I also thought it could be related to the psu not having enough power because it probably is becoming faulty due to old age.. and since the gpu is probably the thing that requires more power, it probably gets cut off.

I do believe I have an extra gpu lying around that I could try.

But do you think the power issue or even the mobo going bad could be related to these problems? The initial beep taking longer nowadays does seem to lead to a possible problem with the motherboard, no?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

I'm not a PSU expert - but think that you could test the PSU either with this free test:  http://www.ocbase.com/

or by removing enough stuff from the system that it makes things easier on the PSU (and, as such, it should make the problems less frequent).
Or, you can try another PSU to see if that helps.

Trying another GPU is the easiest thing to try at this point.

Beyond this, you can start by trying these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

For the past 2 days I have been testing something that seems to be working out. 

I have turn the tower of my desktop sideways and for now, every time I have turned it on, no black screen. Everything seems to work fine, apparently. 

So I am starting to think that maybe there's something wrong with the actual slot.. maybe the weight of the gpu was causing some kind of stress to it.. don't know. I am gonna leave it like this for a couple of days more to see if the black screen ever appears. If not, and since I haven't done anything else, it will be safe to say that I found the problem @_@

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Good luck!

#7 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Still no black screen. So the weight on the slot must be what was causing that situation.

Though, just now happened a strange thing. Just before the windows login screen (just after the loading screen) the computer suddenly restarted on its own. And after that, it got to windows login screen without any problem and I was able to get to desktop. Do you have any idea of what might cause such a thing?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:21 AM

No idea what caused it.  We may be able to see something in Event Viewer.
Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

#9 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

I have attached the file as you've instructed.

The amount of events is overwhelming.. but the critical ones are indeed identified with the id 41 with no bugcheckcode so, if I understood correctly the site you indicated, this must mean that it could be related to overheating or low power or ram problem. Just what I was afraid, many candidates for the culprit position xD.

Attached Files

Edited by amecurty, 22 July 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

Interestingly, I did find a few 0xc0000411 errors just before several of the shutdowns.
This is a hibernation error.

Also, there's Bluetooth and networking errors just before several of the shutdowns

This usually means updating the networking drivers, the chipset and other lower level drivers, along with all the Intel programs (RST, MEI, DFPT, etc) that are available on the motherboard's support website.

#11 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

But do you think those drivers could be responsible for the auto restarts? Or not for these in particular, but could make a computer restart or shut down?

And I really thought that if you don't use something related to a driver, that it wouldn't become a problem. I am talking about the bluethooth driver, I don't use anything related to bluetooth.

Edited by amecurty, 24 July 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

Even if you disable a driver in Device Manager - that driver still loads into memory and will show in the stack in memory dumps (if it's involved in the crash).

Drivers do things in the background - so even if you're not doing anything with it, it can malfunction and cause crashes.

Many crashes (IME) are caused by drivers putting data into memory spaces that they don't own.

Then, when the driver that owns that memory space see's unexpected data in that space - it crashes.

I would think that the hibernation errors are most likely to cause errors that seem to be auto restarts.
I've seen them start to hibernate, then crash (and the BSOD isn't visible because the video has already shut down), then restart.

BUT, that kind of crash can still leave traces in the Event Viewer Admin log - or the crash can occur late enough that the system can't write the BSOD info.
More info on crash dump generation here:  http://www.carrona.org/dumpgen.html

#13 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Oh.. I did not know that, completely clueless here xD. Thank you for that great explanation!!! 

And about that hibernation error, it is weird that even if the computer is turning on completely "fresh" - that is from off state - it comes into question. I have known and seen some computers getting crazy (auto restarts and shutdowns and even never turning off when you want it, forcing you sometimes to just use the switch) when they were coming back on after being in hibernate state or standby.

Could that error be due to some BIOS settings? Since it has also been acting weird and taking longer to initiate.  

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

IME the weird starts/restarts are most often hibernation/sleep transition problems.

In the old days, they were most commonly caused by storage controller drivers - but nowadays it can be almost anything.

BIOS can also cause problems.

Have you reset your BIOS to default?

Have you updated/re-flashed it?

#15 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

I have never updated the bios. Simply because everyone keeps saying that it is a delicate operation that if anything goes wrong.. everything will go wrong xD. Pretty much not brave or comfortable enough to try that on my own..

About the default options I am currently using one of the saved profiles I have that was set way before overclocking  and that never caused any trouble like the one I am having now.. and I haven't reset to default settings because I am afraid of losing some of the saved profiles. By choosing reset, will it erase them? But I guess that even if it does erase them, if it is for troubleshooting purposes then it will be done either way.

Oh, about that beep sound taking longer, today a friend told me that when the beep sound of the motherboard takes longer it usually means one of these 3 things..

1.bad psu or not enough power output

2.isolators causing some kind of current discharge (don't know if I am using the correct terms :\)

3.GPU problems

Btw.. ty for the patience :)

Edited by amecurty, 27 July 2017 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users