Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new battery won't power laptop at all.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisChez

ChrisChez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

Hi, I got a new aftermarket battery for my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-NR260E). Original was 6 cell, I got a 12 cell. The new battery shows a charge but will not power laptop at all. BIOS is updated and I do NOT get the "battery not detected" message. I also tried disabling "ISBUtility" in the System Configuration Startup list to see if that would work (read it online) but it didn't. Original OS was Vista Home, now Windows 7 (updated by pro long before I got the new battery). Computer runs fine on AC adapter. Anyone know how or if I can get the new battery to work? By the way, I know some stuff when it comes to computers but i'm a bit of a novice too.

Thanks,

-Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

What percentage of charge does the battery show in your system tray?

I don't know what OS your have but there is a report in Windows 7 and a more detailed report in Windows 8 and 10. The Windows 7 report has a small section on battery.

If the battery is at 100% then pull the power and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and attach your power brick. Boot the computer. When the computer boots to the desktop pull the power brick. Does the computer shut down?

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

What it means - new aftermarket battery?
And what means new? What the factory release date is, it is important.
During three months it losts about 25% of its nominal capacity, during next 3 month again about 25% of this what it had after 3 first month etc.
So maybe You already got obsolete or at least expired battery.
Normal accu is 5200 mAh, 10.8-11.1V and 6 Cell Li-ion. Can be used during 300-500 recharge cycles, then it is normal yet, after that it is already mostly useless, because it can work only for short time, then is needed charging.
Battary is old, if it's capacity is 0.707 of the new. Usually it takes about 2 years, but sometimes even less. (NB! it doesn't mean, that not work at all, but capacity is then  too low.)
PS Charger must give at least 19.0-19.5 V and 3.9-4.0 A, if the battery is connected and charging is in progress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users