Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Freeze, but no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheKirch

TheKirch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:10 AM

So, awhile back i reinstalled windows on my PC to fix a problem, and things had been just fine and dandy since then up until this week where the problem seems to have snowballed each day.

Early in the week, i had 1 or 2 crashes when i first turned my PC on then it was fine all day.(Mon, Tues,Wednesday)

Thursday, it crashes and actually gave me BSOD but no error message and it would restart without me having to manually shut down the power. crashing about 9 times over the course of 4 hours and then it stopped happening.

Friday i had no issues whatsoever.

Now Saturday its the worst yet, no BSOD at all, It just hard freezes and the sound stutters. It seems to happen mostly when i open a game (world of warcraft or FFXIV are the only ones i've tried) but its has happened a few times without a game open(usually while booting up, it will hard freeze before i can even log in to the PC)

I've ran a few tests myself. memory check, defrag, an antivirus scan, but nothing worked. Any ideas?

Here's the speccy link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7CpfYXF8eXqmRCZN0d1by21

Also included are my event log(i saw someone link this in another thread) and the sysnative

Thank You!

Attached Files

Edited by TheKirch, 16 July 2017 - 01:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Limited info in the Admin logfile.  I presume that you've either reinstalled Windows or have wiped out a lot of the error messages with a disk cleaning tool.  Errors only go back to 8 July 2017.

I don't see any repetitive events that seem linked to the shutdowns - but that's difficult to assess with only 1 unexpected shutdown in the log.

What this usually points to is a hardware/compatibility/low-level driver problem (but we'll see more as we look at the other reports................)

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F6c XV) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

No errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Either the OS has been reinstalled recently, the error history has been wiped, or the system has been tweaked to not record the events.

I'm unable to assess this as there are 0 entries!

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

KernelDumpList.txt shows no memory dumps.

System event log only has entries from 16 July 2017

Application event log only has entries from 16 July 2017

Frankly there's just not enough information present to figure out where to start.

So, let's go to basics.....

There are only 2 problems a computer can have:

- hardware

- software

So, let's start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results - then we can move on from there.

FYI - if we get to software troubleshooting, it's likely that we'll ask you to format your drive and reinstall Windows.

As such, I'd get ready to backup your stuff BEFORE doing that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheKirch

TheKirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for your help!

I actually have recently reinstalled windows( about a month ago, maybe a little longer) and i know there isn't much information thats why this is such a headache for me. I do apologize. i took out all the old event log stuff, in the system and applications tabs because i wanted to have it completely and easier for me to read the next time it crashed and i simply forgot to put that stuff back in. I still have the missing logs so i will attach them.

I can't do the hardware scans or bios update just yet because both require a flash drive or blank CD. neither of which i have at the moment, So while i obtain those here is what i've done so far.

I did delete daemon tools (even though i downloaded it waaay after the crashing started) 

and i ran the virus scan that was listed under the hardware tests to run. It did come back with 3 hits which i've also attached, though i did clean those out, using the software provided.

I'll reply again once i've obtained a flash drive or blank CD and can finish the tests, just figured i'd post what i have now because the rest might take some time. Thanks again.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

The malware that you found doesn't look bad to me.  I wouldn't expect these problems from it.
But I am not a malware expert - you may want to try posting over in the Am I Infected forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Follow the pinned topic at the top for posting instructions.

Unfortunately, the Admin log is just a listing of the Warnings, Errors and Critical events from all the logs.
But as a summary it makes searching very easy.

Although it's more difficult looking at the System log, I wasn't able to find any significant repeating events just prior to the unexpected shutdowns.

It still looks like a hardware problem at this point.

We'll wait to see what you get from the diagnostics, and then we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheKirch

TheKirch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:08 AM

Well, bad news really. 

Memtest - i did the recommended 3 passes and it came back with no errors.

hard drive diagonistics - finished with zero errors.

HWmonitor - attached the results in text file. though, with the way everything else went, i can only imagine its clean.

FurMark GPU stress/heat test - i let the program run for 10 minutes. capped off at 70*C. ran it a second time with a higher resolution, same thing.

Prime95- i let it run for a couple hours and nothing really happened.

AMD Over Drive - the stress test while, it did make the computer hang at times(says this is normal), didn't cause the problem to occur.

Not really good news for diagnosing my computer.

I really only have one piece of new information. 

I started up one of the games earlier, before getting into the diagnostics, just to see. And this time, unlike the other times. It didn't BSOD or just freeze up and stutter the sound. The screen just went completely red. The attached image is just to show what i mean. Blank red screen (the color fluctuation in my image is just my camera. i was a solid red color)

I did everything i could reasonably do that you listed except the BIOS manual update. I saved that for last as i am not proficient with that type of stuff and didn't want to mess around with the BIOS unless i had too. But at this point i have too, so i'll be doing that first thing tomorrow.

thanks again. sorry that there is no information to really go off of. It's beyond frustrating. I just want to know.

EDIT: So, i'd also like to point out that at this point, it only crashes while i play video games. Nothing aside from them has been able to crash my computer reliably. And i've had my computer on for extended periods of time with no issues. It's now only when i turn on a game. or so it seems.

Attached Files

Edited by TheKirch, 17 July 2017 - 03:23 AM.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

Did you check to see if there was a BIOS update for your system?

@usasma mentioned that in post #2.

#7 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:38 AM

Take off the RAM modules and the GPU, clean the contacts. Reconnect them. If everything is recognised, check if it happens again. If it does, take off the GPU and then try to see if it happens agains. If not, then the GPU is the problem.

Also, is would be good if you post the SMART info of your storage devices.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Did you monitor the temps while running AMD OverDrive?

If so, what were they?

Did you run the other video tests?

If so, what were the results?

Do you have another video card that you can test with?

If not, then try removing the graphics card and using the onboard graphics to see if it still has problems.

In the event that you cannot reliably test the video card, we'll start with a "clean" install of the operating system in order to troubleshoot.
Start by installing Windows clean, then get all updates, then check Device Manager for errors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users