Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think I'm infected. Need help please.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deepthinker

deepthinker

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

I can barely use the internet with my computer. My wifi internet connection goes in and out constantly. I can load internet pages for a couple of minutes and then it quits loading for a couple of minutes. I constantly cycles that way. When it's working, it's very slow. No devices in my home work well online when my computer is connected to the router. If I disconnect, then there are no network problems.

I've run Avast boot scan and regular full scan. I've run Malwarebytes. They have not found any infections though.

I've got Windows 10  64bit HP laptop. I can't use safe mode to scan because the anti-virus programs won't run in safe mode.

Thanks for guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:01 AM

It may not be malware

Try powering off your router for 10 minutes, and then power it back on.

Edited by jwoods301, 16 July 2017 - 02:02 AM.

#3 deepthinker

deepthinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:44 AM

I do agree it may not be malware. But I've reset and powered down the router and modem (they're separate) several times. Never changed anything. There aren't/haven't been any problems when my laptop isn't connected via wifi.

I haven't had any problems this morning though, so I may have solved the problem without knowing what was wrong.

Can I put this thread on hold pending any further problems?

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

I do agree it may not be malware. But I've reset and powered down the router and modem (they're separate) several times. Never changed anything. There aren't/haven't been any problems when my laptop isn't connected via wifi.

I haven't had any problems this morning though, so I may have solved the problem without knowing what was wrong.

Can I put this thread on hold pending any further problems?

You may be on a WiFi channel that is getting over-crowded in your local area.

For 2.4 Ghz, you might try channels 1, 6, or 11.

You can also see what's going on in your local area with the free tool Wi-Fi scanner (free regsitration)...

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/index.php

#5 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hopefully, the wi-fi tips will help you sort this out. Since a majority of people are using 2.4 GHz channels it can cause some issues, especially if you are living in a busy environment. If it doesn't help. You could try doing a thorough scan in Windows "Safe mode with networking". It should sort out any issues of such matter. Let me know if this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users